U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-07-2008, 03:05 PM
 
Location: South Bay Native
13,072 posts, read 21,213,904 times
Reputation: 22551

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
Great job andrea!!! He missed an e... want your cookie now?
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
I never knew murders were LEGAL!!! Maybe you should join the illegals in taking ESL classes?
Maybe you should go back to school, or at least stop it with the childish antagonism. It really does little to help your side of the debate. Throwing in these little snide remarks also works as an effective thread hijack too - I wonder about you sometimes.....I thought there was an age limit as to who could be a member on City Data? Don't you have to be at least 15 years old?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-07-2008, 03:10 PM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,834,008 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebeard View Post
Well, like I said, I'm for punishing idnustries which hire illegal laborers with methods such as very high fines. Illegal immigration should be stopped. However, Part of this solution should include a allowing those already under the system to become a part of it. To not is unrealistic.

I suppose I have a hang-up on human rights. If humans don't treat each other decently, what's the point. I'm not against ALL of what's being said here. Just that its implemented in a way that's fair to all. The illegal immigrants, and ourselves. THere are human methods to do so. To simply allow them legality, without reforming the system, is bad. To just attempt to kick them all out, is also bad. Comprehensive is the word that shold apply. We can all work together to get ends that we can all be content about and provide a more legal future for everyone. Openeing up more legal immigration, and increasing enforcement and punishment of those who employ illegal immigrants is a human compromise.
You still haven’t responded to my question. I will assume, given your predilection for altruistic endeavors, that you are personally sacrificing in your efforts to help your fellow man. It would be extremely hypocritical to espouse such, and to castigate others for their inhumanity, while you stand on the sidelines. I ask again, what are YOU doing?

How is it unrealistic to NOT grant amnesty to the 20-30 million illegal aliens currently residing in our country? Furthermore, how is the enforcement of our laws deemed “inhumane?” Do you also consider the punishment of thieves as being inhumane? What about those guilty of fraud? Should they all be absolved of their crimes for the sake of humanity? Where do you draw the line? Moreover, how do you suggest we implement immigration policies that would be “fair to all?” Finally, what is your definition of “comprehensive” relative to immigration?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2008, 03:10 PM
 
4,828 posts, read 6,798,689 times
Reputation: 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Maybe you should go back to school, or at least stop it with the childish antagonism. It really does little to help your side of the debate. Throwing in these little snide remarks also works as an effective thread hijack too - I wonder about you sometimes.....I thought there was an age limit as to who could be a member on City Data? Don't you have to be at least 15 years old?
Yes mommy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2008, 03:24 PM
 
1,417 posts, read 855,075 times
Reputation: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
I can understand most of bluebeard's points; the problem is we simply have too many of those lawbreakers here from Mexico, etc.

And; factoring in things like ID theft, etc. we are discussing Felonies.......which would land an American in hot water. Subtracting the ID theft criminals, etc. would eliminate most of the illegals from any sort of an amnesty--------otherwise, they would wind up in prison.
And they to are being prosecuted. Haven't you been reading the articles that have been posted lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2008, 05:14 PM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,673,551 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californio View Post
And they to are being prosecuted. Haven't you been reading the articles that have been posted lol.
I have been reading up on the prosecutions.........and, enjoying every minute of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2008, 07:31 PM
 
2,449 posts, read 4,681,888 times
Reputation: 987
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
I have been reading up on the prosecutions.........and, enjoying every minute of it.
While we disagree... I have to commend you for being one of the few civil anti-illegal posters here. Thanks!
EDIT: THis was in reference to an earlier comment of yours, not this one. I just liked your tone, rather than calling me a propagandist or something you just say that I dont quite understand your POV. Which is really all it comes down to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2008, 07:38 PM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,673,551 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebeard View Post
While we disagree... I have to commend you for being one of the few civil anti-illegal posters here. Thanks!
EDIT: THis was in reference to an earlier comment of yours, not this one. I just liked your tone, rather than calling me a propagandist or something you just say that I dont quite understand your POV. Which is really all it comes down to.
Trust me: I am quite anti illegal immigration.........

Thank you for the kind words though
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2008, 08:08 PM
 
Location: Pa
20,310 posts, read 18,913,834 times
Reputation: 6517
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebeard View Post
Illegal immigrants pay more taxes than you think. THe only thing they don't pay are income taxes (which at their low incomes they wouldnt pay anyway). However many have fake social security numbers, and thus are supporting the current influx of baby boomers, without ever being able to reap the rewards of social security when they are old. Living and renting a place goes in part to the landlord's propoerty taxes (local government support). The sales taxes they pay go to state and local taxes. The cheap labor they provide allow you the consumer lifestyle you have, and without them agriculture would be more mechanized, not provide more jobs (as is already currently happening in california).Plus, without cheap labor, many idustries, including agriculture, would just shift to Mexico itself or even overseas.
Legal avenues of citizenship, not hate and prejudice, are part a humane, sensible solution.
Many illegals stole work from legals who were paying all of the taxes. The money was being spent here in our own country. ( not sent back accross the border).
Many illegals use stolen social security numbers and damge lives of legals.
Many landlords who rent to illegals will rent a 1 bedroom apartment to several families of illegals. They charge more because they know the illegals have no choice. They then report a smaller rent on their taxes. So less tax revenue is generated.
The cheap labor they offer goes into the pockets of their cheap employers.
Lastly They cost our government a fortune in enforcement, deportation, social services, and having to provide bi-lingual tutors for the children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2008, 08:36 PM
 
7,020 posts, read 9,909,669 times
Reputation: 1094
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Many illegals stole work from legals who were paying all of the taxes. The money was being spent here in our own country. ( not sent back accross the border).
Many illegals use stolen social security numbers and damge lives of legals.
Many landlords who rent to illegals will rent a 1 bedroom apartment to several families of illegals. They charge more because they know the illegals have no choice. They then report a smaller rent on their taxes. So less tax revenue is generated.
The cheap labor they offer goes into the pockets of their cheap employers.
Lastly They cost our government a fortune in enforcement, deportation, social services, and having to provide bi-lingual tutors for the children.
Agreed! If the US government would cut off all foreign aid to countries whose illegal aliens are here costing us billions, I bet they'd stop their nationals from coming here if they have to gun them down in the streets.

After all they usually do it for fun anyway, this way they can pretend they are bounty hunters instead of their usual pattern of murdering poverty stricken nationals for sport.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2008, 10:04 PM
 
1,818 posts, read 2,737,812 times
Reputation: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Maybe you should go back to school, or at least stop it with the childish antagonism. It really does little to help your side of the debate. Throwing in these little snide remarks also works as an effective thread hijack too - I wonder about you sometimes.....I thought there was an age limit as to who could be a member on City Data? Don't you have to be at least 15 years old?
Now who is calling of another member childish antagonism?
Good Post Blacknight as usual
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top