U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 05:17 PM

3,368 posts, read 10,272,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
Stats from the US Department of Education show that hispanic students have the highest dropout rate of any group.

Fast Facts
Keyword: "Hispanic" - NOT "illegal immigrant". Many of these dropouts are American born and raised and make their own bad choices. They don't concern me much because this is the immigration forum, not the "bad educational choices of Hispanics in poor neighborhoods" forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2008, 05:20 PM

3,640 posts, read 4,308,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
Keyword: "Hispanic" - NOT "illegal immigrant". Many of these dropouts are American born and raised and make their own bad choices. They don't concern me much because this is the immigration forum, not the "bad educational choices of Hispanics in poor neighborhoods" forum.
They should concern you since it happens to be our tax dollars that they will suck up.

Old 08-08-2008, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Political Junky View Post
They should concern you since it happens to be our tax dollars that they will suck up.
It doesn't concern me in the context of this discussion. This is an immigration forum. I did a concentration in education policy while earning my public policy degree in college, so I DO care and DO have a lot to say about it. However, this is the improper forum for my comments on the failures of poor (disproportionately African-American and non-white Hispanic) kids.

Old 08-08-2008, 05:24 PM

7,020 posts, read 9,894,200 times
Quote:
It doesn't concern me in the context of this discussion. This is an immigration forum. I did a concentration in education policy while earning my public policy degree in college, so I DO care and DO have a lot to say about it. However, this is the improper forum for my comments on the failures of poor (disproportionately African-American and non-white Hispanic) kids.
What about the birth rates article I posted? I am seriously interested in your opinion of and response regarding it.

Old 08-08-2008, 05:26 PM

3,712 posts, read 5,708,999 times
Quote:
What are you talking about? The statistics include all students, irrespective of whether they are legal or not. We are required to educate all students even if they are in the US illegally, why wouldn't we include them in the data?

Old 08-08-2008, 05:26 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,807,269 times
Quote:
I think it IS relevant, given the fact that the vast majority of illegal aliens are so-called "Hispanic." I would think we would want to encourage immigrants who will excel in school. We have enough homegrown HS dropouts, we certainly don't need millions more to add to the welfare and penal systems.

Old 08-08-2008, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
What about the birth rates article I posted? I am seriously interested in your opinion of and response regarding it.
I already commented on it. It's a fact that immigrants have a higher birthrate than non-immigrants. But what does that say to prove your point that illegals immigrants should be deported? It's not a very strong pillar on which your argument should rely.

Old 08-08-2008, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
What are you talking about? The statistics include all students, irrespective of whether they are legal or not. We are required to educate all students even if they are in the US illegally, why wouldn't we include them in the data?
You're casting your net too widely. Hone in on specific facts about illegal aliens and not on broad fact sets about "Hispanic" students. You're talking about "Hispanics" and that's not what this discussion is about.

Old 08-08-2008, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
I think it IS relevant, given the fact that the vast majority of illegal aliens are so-called "Hispanic." I would think we would want to encourage immigrants who will excel in school. We have enough homegrown HS dropouts, we certainly don't need millions more to add to the welfare and penal systems.
But if you're talking about "Hispanics" in general, the vast majority of them ARE "homegrown." Talk about illegal aliens SPECIFICALLY. I refuse to blur the line between "Hispanics" and "illegal immigrants" and I ask that everyone else do the same. It's ironic that the "anti-illegal" camp routinely accuses the "pro-illegal camp" of refusing to distinguish between the two groups yet here I am watching some members of the "anti-illegal" camp do the very thing they so sharply criticize.

Old 08-08-2008, 05:34 PM

3,712 posts, read 5,708,999 times
Quote:
You're casting your net too widely. Hone in on specific facts about illegal aliens and not on broad fact sets about "Hispanic" students. You're talking about "Hispanics" and that's not what this discussion is about.
This is your post that people are responding to:

Quote:
You know, I rarely speak out and say that people on here are anti-Hispanic or anti-Mexican. I understand that the issue to most people is that of illegal immigration and that it is just consequential that Latinos are disproportionately represented in this group. However, this thread is a very sad one in the immigration forum's history because it has CLEAR anti-Hispanic rhetoric. You people talking about Hispanics as if they are poor, drop out, baby producing imbaciles are a disgrace to the American people. For probably the first time in my posting history I am truly offended, and am shamed at the thought that people who think like you compose a substantial amount of the American populace. Now THAT is scary!

YOU started the discussion. You expressed your concern about the 'anti-hispanic rhetoric' in this thread. Now you are saying the issue is NOT hispanics but illegal aliens. What is it that you want, because you can't have it both ways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration