U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2007, 11:12 AM

1,398 posts, read 6,019,301 times

Advertisements

In L.A., I can walking down a street and people speaking a foreign language will stop their conversing to spit at me. Frequently. Eggs are thrown at (only) houses in my neighborhood with American flags. Foreign flags, without an American flag next to it to signify friendship betwixt the two, are flown solely here. I have learned many "bad words" in Spanish because strangers pause and mutter them to my face. Granted these are minor nusiances, but they do signify an undercurrent here in L.A.: what do you call this if not hatred?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2007, 11:17 AM

28,185 posts, read 43,461,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfilm View Post
In L.A., I can walking down a street and people speaking a foreign language will stop their conversing to spit at me. Frequently. Eggs are thrown at (only) houses in my neighborhood with American flags. Foreign flags, without an American flag next to it to signify friendship betwixt the two, are flown solely here. I have learned many "bad words" in Spanish because strangers pause and mutter them to my face. Granted these are minor nusiances, but they do signify an undercurrent here in L.A.: what do you call this if not hatred?
I call it very strange, since I've never experienced that... and my town is almost 70% Latino, so this would be a good basis of comparison. I've also been to LA a million times, and have never been spit on or yelled at in a derogatory manner. Seriously, I find it perplexing when I hear about this stuff, since it's just not something I've seen. So either I'm very lucky, or there's something else that provokes this behavior.

Old 01-27-2007, 11:19 AM

10,189 posts, read 24,465,817 times
In the past I would regularly go to LA because much of my family lives(d) there; I haven't been in ages, perhaps as long ago as 10 years, but when I was there last I saw pockets of Ecuadorians in one area, and other non-English speakers elsewhere. I didn't feel much hostility but did notice different nationals in the City than my previous visits.

What your describe does sound like outright hatred! Now, can you explain why this is happening in LA?

Quote:

Last edited by ontheroad; 01-27-2007 at 11:59 AM.. Reason: misprint

Old 01-27-2007, 11:56 AM

1,398 posts, read 6,019,301 times
I'm a middle-aged, blonde, caucasian female in a predominently hispanic area (it was actually diverse, with people from everywhere, when we moved here initially) and apparently that's enough cause to expectorate at a completely neutral pedestrian like me. Please don't insinuate blaming the person being spit at.

Back to topic: three of the four closest supermarkets in this neighborhood of mine have closed in the last few years. After the signs for closing were posted, I asked the employees why, since they were busy markets. They said the corporate owners were of course okay with the majority of clientele utilizing food stamps, but they could not keep the stores profitable with the extreme pilfering problem that accompanied it. I believe this to be tied into the general lawlessness tied to the illegal mindset of laws being inapplicable to them.

Old 01-27-2007, 12:16 PM

10,189 posts, read 24,465,817 times
Well, it does sound like a sad affair. Sorry to hear you were mistreated.

My POV, however, is that we can't go on being vindictive but should see how we can turn things around in a positive way. I know you are not alone in your feelings, but without having had any similar occurrence, I can sympathize but not empathize.

Quote:
I'm a middle-aged, blonde, caucasian female in a predominently hispanic area (it was actually diverse, with people from everywhere, when we moved here initially) and apparently that's enough cause to expectorate at a completely neutral pedestrian like me. Please don't insinuate blaming the person being spit at.

Back to topic: three of the four closest supermarkets in this neighborhood of mine have closed in the last few years. After the signs for closing were posted, I asked the employees why, since they were busy markets. They said the corporate owners were of course okay with the majority of clientele utilizing food stamps, but they could not keep the stores profitable with the extreme pilfering problem that accompanied it. I believe this to be tied into the general lawlessness tied to the illegal mindset of laws being inapplicable to them.

Old 01-27-2007, 01:10 PM

597 posts, read 1,786,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
We used to be floored by the number of immigrants near us who were buying groceries with food stamps and then loading the groceries into luxury cars.

There are two possibilities here: The person with the luxury car gave the person with the food stamps cash and got the food stamps in exchange...

Or...

The person with the luxury car is not married (ha ha) but has a "boyfriend" who happens to have a luxury car --
This is actually quite amazing. When I was 16 I worked at a grocery store doing stock and bagging groceries. We had a customer that came in and used food stamps and the car she drove was brand new. Now, shouldn't there be some sort of financial training or something that people must pass in order to recieve welfare? They obviously aren't vetting people very well. Many of these people are incredibly ignorant about money and it's obviously the reason that a lot of them remain on welfare.

Old 01-27-2007, 01:20 PM

9,716 posts, read 12,942,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWingsFan View Post
For example, one day in line at the grocery store (in Las Vegas) a pregnant Hispanic mother was in front of me with another little one at her side (around 5 years old). She spoke all in Spanish, so did her daughter and when it came time to pay she got it all free through the WIC program I couldn't believe it. This person doesn't even speak our language and her groceries were free! On the other hand, I'm behind her buying some of the same things for my family, born here, pay taxes, speak English and I had to fork over the money. What's wrong with this picture???
Would it have made you feel better if they were white, blond, and spoke English? I know a young family -- father works full time, mother works part time; they are both blond and blue-eyed and extremely healthy looking; they both speak perfect English (born and raised here) and their last name is ultra-American -- and they get their groceries via WIC too. The father has a great job title and makes over $10 an hour. So, why are they on WIC? CUZ YOU CAN'T RAISE A FAMILY ON $10 AN HOUR!

Using food stamps has absolutely nothing to do with a person's legal status!

Old 01-27-2007, 07:58 PM

483 posts, read 1,746,820 times
Default Who gets WIC?

For example, one day in line at the grocery store (in Las Vegas) a pregnant Hispanic mother was in front of me with another little one at her side (around 5 years old). She spoke all in Spanish, so did her daughter and when it came time to pay she got it all free through the WIC program I couldn't believe it. This person doesn't even speak our language and her groceries were free!

Maybe she's a citizen. Not all spanish-speakers are immigrants,and not all immigrants are illegal. Pregnant Spanish-speaking women aren't necessarily illegal immigrants, even if they're using food stamps.

You'd be surprised who can get WIC. My aunt, who has a good job and new car, gets WIC because of her 14-month-old foster daughter, who she's trying to adopt. Legal immigrants are entitled to food stamps if they meet the requirements. So do refugees, who often arrive in the US without papers.

Last edited by Hatless Wonder; 01-27-2007 at 08:03 PM.. Reason: More information

Old 01-27-2007, 08:58 PM

3,712 posts, read 5,710,869 times
Illegal aliens are eligible for the WIC program.

This site informs legal and illegal immigrants of the benefits availble to them:
Quote:
CHECKLIST OF FEDERAL BENEFIT PROGRAMS AVAILABLE TO DOCUMENTED AND UNDOCUMENTED WORKERS

Women, Infants and Children Program (WIC)
Provides food benefits, in the form of vouchers, for low-income families to obtain certain foods including infant formula.

Immigrants of any status who are otherwise eligible may receive WIC food supplements.

http://www.workingforamerica.org/doc.../checklist.asp
While not all hispanics are illegal, etc. hispanics as a group are the biggest users of WIC.

Quote:
According to the latest available data in 2004, Hispanics are the biggest WIC users at 39.2 percent versus 34.6 percent for whites and 20 percent for blacks.

http://www.fns.usda.gov/oane/MENU/Published/WIC/WIC.htm (broken link)

Old 01-27-2007, 09:09 PM

354 posts, read 761,894 times
And, lo and behold, Blacks use the WIC program the least.. less than Whites!

Was there a payoff to your plant?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or