U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-07-2008, 06:04 PM
Status: "Make America the Great Joke Again" (set 22 days ago)
 
Location: Denver
9,059 posts, read 15,464,992 times
Reputation: 5288

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
And what has it turned into?
I seriously doubt that you even know.
Well Hispanics were not scared to go outside, until now. I am telling you I would not want to enter a hostile (raids, checkpoints, profiling) state...even if I think it is necessary to do.

If you think I don't know, then I seriously don't care what you think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-07-2008, 06:05 PM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,611,035 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
So now Mexican = Illegal? If a person is in this country LEGALLY, they should have nothing to fear, period. Did I miss the new law? Is there now a law against driving while Mexican (DWM)?
Maybe Mitt Romney needs to be 'profiled'-----------his father (the former governor of Michigan, George Romney) was a Mexican, born and raised
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2008, 06:05 PM
 
3,368 posts, read 10,272,188 times
Reputation: 1675
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
It is pretty obvious that legal hispanics would be fearful of being racially profiled and hassled by the cops if pulled over.

I know that personally I am avoiding Arizona and Oklahoma all together, I have thought it through, not worth my families time to be in a hostile environment like that. I just wouldn't want to be racially profiled and would rather avoid the disappointment with what this has turned into.
I don't know your race but since you have said some of your family is Mexican I will assume that you are mixed race (mestizo) if you are worried about this personally. However, if you are well-dressed and driving a nice car, why would you be profiled? I think if any profiling is going on, it's of landscaping/service vehicles and vans full of short, Amerindian-looking guys. Though I understand why some people would be concerned (like a legal immigrant or Mexican-American who is dark-skinned and drives a construction/landscaping truck, etc.), I don't think you would personally be affected.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2008, 06:06 PM
Status: "Make America the Great Joke Again" (set 22 days ago)
 
Location: Denver
9,059 posts, read 15,464,992 times
Reputation: 5288
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Methinks you have something to hide, Mr Mach50.

I know many legal Hispanics (of all races) here in Arizona and they are quite happy to see ICE do its work
Nothing to hide at all, just don't like to be in an environment where people are hunting hispanics. Something about it doesn't sit right with me.
Just an opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2008, 06:10 PM
 
3,368 posts, read 10,272,188 times
Reputation: 1675
I would rather have "illegals" among us than live in a police state of constant racial profiling where innocent people are harrassed on a daily basis. Would that be the best way to catch "illegals" ? Sure, it most definitely would! However, should we go that far and harrass a good portion of our own citizens just to do so? I say no. I much prefer my personal liberty left unmolested. (And this is coming from a person who would never be "racially" profiled in the traditional sense of the term because I look nothing but European.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2008, 06:10 PM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,611,035 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Nothing to hide at all, just don't like to be in an environment where people are hunting hispanics. Something about it doesn't sit right with me.
Just an opinion.
Again; there is no Hispanic race------------if you are referring to brown skinned people with Asian facial features then you must include Filipinos, Indians (both Native and East), Italians, etc. as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2008, 06:11 PM
Status: "Make America the Great Joke Again" (set 22 days ago)
 
Location: Denver
9,059 posts, read 15,464,992 times
Reputation: 5288
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
I don't know your race but since you have said some of your family is Mexican I will assume that you are mixed race (mestizo) if you are worried about this personally. However, if you are well-dressed and driving a nice car, why would you be profiled? I think if any profiling is going on, it's of landscaping/service vehicles and vans full of short, Amerindian-looking guys. Though I understand why some people would be concerned (like a legal immigrant or Mexican-American who is dark-skinned and drives a construction/landscaping truck, etc.), I don't think you would personally be affected.
It's not that I am worried about it, I just avoid being in that type of environment and I can understand why a legal Mexican immigrant who speaks Spanish would be definitely avoid it, even if legal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2008, 06:12 PM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,807,269 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Nothing to hide at all, just don't like to be in an environment where people are hunting hispanics. Something about it doesn't sit right with me.
Just an opinion.
They're not "hunting" Hispanics. It's a sobriety checkpoint. Of course, if they discover ANY illegal activity, they are well within their rights to act accordingly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2008, 06:12 PM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,611,035 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Well Hispanics were not scared to go outside, until now. I am telling you I would not want to enter a hostile (raids, checkpoints, profiling) state...even if I think it is necessary to do.

If you think I don't know, then I seriously don't care what you think.
ROFLMAO!

I used to be profiled quite a bit when I was younger: long hair, beard, tie dyed T shirts, etc. by both law enforcement as well as people looking to obtain drugs. Needless to say, I was 'clean' so the cops gave up quickly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2008, 06:12 PM
 
Location: Pa
20,310 posts, read 18,878,727 times
Reputation: 6517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Nothing to hide at all, just don't like to be in an environment where people are hunting hispanics. Something about it doesn't sit right with me.
Just an opinion.
In the early 80's while stationed in Norfolk Va the local police liked to put the hassel on squids. Especially during the prime tourist months...
You were a target every time a cop saw the navy base sticker on your bumper.
Why? Because enough squids attempted to live the drunken sailor steretype. This brought the crap down on all of us.
I detested my fellow sailors who got hammered every time they left the ship.
The cops did go to far at times and it made it seem better to just stay on the ship. I wonder though how many lives were saved by the crack down?
Mach 50 no need to explain yourself to this anti-illegal. Your point is valid.
My point however is also. I blame those who made such check points a nessasary burden.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top