U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 06:13 PM

3,368 posts, read 10,273,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Again; there is no Hispanic race------------if you are referring to brown skinned people with Asian facial features then you must include Filipinos, Indians (both Native and East), Italians, etc. as well.
If there really was "racial" profiling aimed at dark-skinned mestizos (the racial admixture that "illegals" are presumed to be), American Indians and some Filipinos would must definitely feel the brunt of this policy. This is even more reason not to cast the net so wide and profile in this manner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2008, 06:13 PM
Status: "Make America the Great Joke Again" (set 23 days ago)

9,059 posts, read 15,467,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Again; there is no Hispanic race------------if you are referring to brown skinned people with Asian facial features then you must include Filipinos, Indians (both Native and East), Italians, etc. as well.
No offense AZ but I am not divulging into another conversation about hispanics not being a race.

Old 08-07-2008, 06:14 PM

20,310 posts, read 18,881,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
I would rather have "illegals" among us than live in a police state of constant racial profiling where innocent people are harrassed on a daily basis. Would that be the best way to catch "illegals" ? Sure, it most definitely would! However, should we go that far and harrass a good portion of our own citizens just to do so? I say no. I much prefer my personal liberty left unmolested. (And this is coming from a person who would never be "racially" profiled in the traditional sense of the term because I look nothing but European.)
You say this because you never were forced from your trade by illegal workers. You never had your identity stolen, and you never lost anything because of them. Too many folks have had their lives literally destroyed by illegals.

Old 08-07-2008, 06:14 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,615,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
It's not that I am worried about it, I just avoid being in that type of environment and I can understand why a legal Mexican immigrant who speaks Spanish would be definitely avoid it, even if legal.
None of that applies to you anyway: you are a native born US citizen with an Irish surname----------I have met a few 'full blood' Irish folks who look Mestizo (olive skin, high cheekbones, dark hair and eyes).

Old 08-07-2008, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
If there really was "racial" profiling aimed at dark-skinned mestizos (the racial admixture that "illegals" are presumed to be), American Indians and some Filipinos would must definitely feel the brunt of this policy. This is even more reason not to cast the net so wide and profile in this manner.
Most people who would be scared to go out probably only speak Spanish, you see, a piece of the "racial" profiling is when the cop asks you questions and you only know Spanish, the hassle begins.

Old 08-07-2008, 06:17 PM

3,368 posts, read 10,273,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
You say this because you never were forced from your trade by illegal workers. You never had your identity stolen, and you never lost anything because of them. Too many folks have had their lives literally destroyed by illegals.
I've stated several times on this forum that I am fortunate enough to be in the position where I am in no danger of a non-English-speaking illegal immigrant taking my job. It takes seven years of expensive post-secondary education and complete fluency in English to be a lawyer. Regardless of that, I have experienced NO - and I mean NO - adverse affects of illegal immigration after living my life in cities where there have been a lot of immigrants, some of them illegal.

Old 08-07-2008, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
In the early 80's while stationed in Norfolk Va the local police liked to put the hassel on squids. Especially during the prime tourist months...
You were a target every time a cop saw the navy base sticker on your bumper.
Why? Because enough squids attempted to live the drunken sailor steretype. This brought the crap down on all of us.
I detested my fellow sailors who got hammered every time they left the ship.
The cops did go to far at times and it made it seem better to just stay on the ship. I wonder though how many lives were saved by the crack down?
Mach 50 no need to explain yourself to this anti-illegal. Your point is valid.
My point however is also. I blame those who made such check points a nessasary burden.
Hey I am a squid myself remember? I know cops like to hassle Sailors.

I am not saying it won't save lives and it won't help crack down on illegals, I am just saying I can understand why legal hispanics would not want to deal with it and just stay inside.

Old 08-07-2008, 06:22 PM

756 posts, read 1,756,227 times
Noone is hunting anybody never and my life have I not been asked for I.D. when pullen over the 1st. thing the cop ask for is I.D. and proof of ins. what hell is wrong with that? have people gone mad thinking that noone has the right to ask for I.D.?
sometimes I think we have gone mad!!!!

Old 08-07-2008, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbliss View Post
Noone is hunting anybody never and my life have I not been asked for I.D. when pullen over the 1st. thing the cop ask for is I.D. and proof of ins. what hell is wrong with that? have people gone mad thinking that noone has the right to ask for I.D.?
sometimes I think we have gone mad!!!!
I just explained it, even the legal hispanics who do not want to go out probably don't speak a lick of English and are afraid of being hassled. Legal I.D. or not.

I personally just wouldn't want to deal with it.

Old 08-07-2008, 06:35 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,615,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
I just explained it, even the legal hispanics who do not want to go out probably don't speak a lick of English and are afraid of being hassled. Legal I.D. or not.

I personally just wouldn't want to deal with it.
I strongly suspect that most legal Latinos have a working knowledge of English-----------and, maybe some of the non greed card' ones are shoppers from SOB.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or