U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 04:03 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,807,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
The sky is falling! The sky is falling!
"The flood is coming!" - Noah
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2008, 04:05 PM

4,828 posts, read 6,789,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
It's about time Chicken Little noticed....
Why don't you take the advice you gave me last time?

Hint: It's about not hijacking threads.

Old 08-08-2008, 04:09 PM

7,020 posts, read 9,894,200 times
Quote:
It's about time Chicken Little noticed....

Thanks, I always wondered what Fresca would feel like squirting from my nostrils . . it burns.

Old 08-08-2008, 04:13 PM

4,828 posts, read 6,789,466 times
Quote:
An article by a Latina, challenging the vague statistics people base their argument off of? On the Washington Post?

Dont be a hero, Blacknight. You can bet nobody's even going to read it before they start belting out their catchphrases(like above).

Seriously though, good post.
The anti-illegal crowd will agree with ANYTHING a person says that they agree with, but if that person ends up saying he/she was wrong, they won't accept it and will ignore it. Happens all the time in this debate.
Well put. They should take it up with the George Borjas.

Quote:
Borjas was called 'America’s leading immigration economist' by BusinessWeek and The Wall Street Journal. He is an influential figure in the debate on immigration and his research on the economic impact of immigration plays a central role in the debate over immigration policy in the United States.[3]
When the professor was saying things that backed up their argument, they revered him. Now that he has come to a conclusion that doesn't back up their argument, they reject him.

Old 08-08-2008, 04:24 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,807,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
Well put. They should take it up with the George Borjas.

When the professor was saying things that backed up their argument, they revered him. Now that he has come to a conclusion that doesn't back up their argument, they reject him.:rolleyes:
Perhaps it's an indication of the professor's schizophrenia, as opposed to our flip-flopping. It doesn’t bode well to oppose one day, and support the next. It tends to lessen one's credibility.

Old 08-08-2008, 04:29 PM

7,020 posts, read 9,894,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Perhaps it's an indication of the professor's schizophrenia, as opposed to our flip-flopping. It doesn’t bode well to oppose one day, and support the next. It tends to lessen one's credibility.
Agreed. Another instance of flip flopping: once the exposure of the NAU/SPP and the Texas Trans Corridor became front page news and the American people began shutting down the congressional phone lines, amnesty became a tabu subject and border patrol was unshackled and allowed to partially do their job.

Old 08-08-2008, 04:42 PM

13,046 posts, read 21,154,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
Why don't you take the advice you gave me last time?

Hint: It's about not hijacking threads.
Take it up with your tag team partner amc - his post preceded mine. i.e. the sky is falling. Glad you're keeping up with the conversation!

Last edited by DontH8Me; 08-08-2008 at 04:43 PM.. Reason: sp

Old 08-08-2008, 05:04 PM

3,712 posts, read 5,708,999 times
Quote:
An article by a Latina, challenging the vague statistics people base their argument off of? On the Washington Post?

Dont be a hero, Blacknight. You can bet nobody's even going to read it before they start belting out their catchphrases(like above).

Seriously though, good post.
The anti-illegal crowd will agree with ANYTHING a person says that they agree with, but if that person ends up saying he/she was wrong, they won't accept it and will ignore it. Happens all the time in this debate.
I read the article, did you? If you take the time to do so, you should note that your 'latina' reporter begins by talking about illegal immigrants. A few paragraphs later she is discussing 'immigrants' and quoting studies that deal with the effects of both legal and illegal immigrants. This is the oldest trick in the book. Lump illegal immigrants such as day laborers in with PhD's from India so that the contribution the PhD's make to society will balance out the net loss from the uneducated illegals. I think it has been demonstrated that legal immigrants as a whole are a net plus for the US. I have yet to see anything that clearly shows that millions of people lacking in the most basic education, with no job skills and who either refuse or cannot speak English are a tremendous benefit to America.
Perhaps you should take the time to peruse the article in question before teeing off on 'the anti-illegal crowd'.

Old 08-08-2008, 05:07 PM

3,640 posts, read 4,308,379 times
Quote:
Marcela Sanchez, Washington Post, and Stupid - all in the same thread starter. Fits perfectly!
Agreed so much. The illegal loving lobby is really running scared and that includes many who post in this forum. It makes my heart warm to know we have them on the run.

Old 08-08-2008, 05:27 PM

1,083 posts, read 2,059,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
I read the article, did you? If you take the time to do so, you should note that your 'latina' reporter begins by talking about illegal immigrants. A few paragraphs later she is discussing 'immigrants' and quoting studies that deal with the effects of both legal and illegal immigrants. This is the oldest trick in the book. Lump illegal immigrants such as day laborers in with PhD's from India so that the contribution the PhD's make to society will balance out the net loss from the uneducated illegals. I think it has been demonstrated that legal immigrants as a whole are a net plus for the US. I have yet to see anything that clearly shows that millions of people lacking in the most basic education, with no job skills and who either refuse or cannot speak English are a tremendous benefit to America.
Perhaps you should take the time to peruse the article in question before teeing off on 'the anti-illegal crowd'.
You said it all said it all. Anytime I see illegal and legal immigration being lumped together, it's lost all credibility because it's apples and oranges. I have yet to see an academic study that shows illegal immigrants have a net zero or positive effect on the economy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration