Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2008, 06:14 AM

495 posts, read 746,580 times

Advertisements

Raleigh - Durham: A new North Carolina law that bans illegal alien students from attending community colleges is drawing fire from illegal immigrant advocates and students!

Link to video (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2008, 08:41 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,040,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by progressive25 View Post
Raleigh - Durham: A new North Carolina law that bans illegal alien students from attending community colleges is drawing fire from illegal immigrant advocates and students!

What a bunch of insolent idiots................

Old 08-09-2008, 08:49 AM

8,577 posts, read 7,813,272 times
thank god my tax dollar will no longer be going to pay for the education of criminals. I am so glad some community "activists" are so outraged. there is a reason they are referred to as minorities. because that's what they are, minorities. I would say that 90% of NC supports this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by progressive25 View Post

Old 08-09-2008, 01:18 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,210,728 times
Well, I am in NC and people here feel very strongly about the issue. If someone is here illegally, they need to either 1. go home or 2. get on a path to citizenship.

It seems so counter intuitive to allow illegals to get into higher education institutions - cause they can't legally work here once they get finished! It makes no sense! I mean - you gotta have a SS# to get a job . . . so why would more education help them?

I am willing to listen to an explanation of why we should be using tax dollars to educate someone who can never work here . . .but so far, I have not had this explained to me.

Old 08-09-2008, 01:38 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,450,866 times
^^
Sincere question, how are your tax dollars paying for them to goto Community College? Were illegals getting aid from the state? If not and they were paying with their own money, what is the big deal with allowing them to goto school? I would rather have them in school learning than out in the streets.

Until you fix immigration that is exactly what will happen, these kids will be out causing problems in the street, it seems counter-productive to me. At least if they are in school, they probably know English, and they trying to learn.

To me it seems more productive to not allow illegals to attend K-12, then the illegals will think twice about bringing or having kids here. CC is already after the fact, now you will have an 18 year old who cannot do anything and will have nothing but time to evade ICE.

Old 08-09-2008, 01:48 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,210,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
^^
Sincere question, how are your tax dollars paying for them to goto Community College? Were illegals getting aid from the state? If not and they were paying with their own money, what is the big deal with allowing them to goto school? I would rather have them in school learning than out in the streets.

Until you fix immigration that is exactly what will happen, these kids will be out causing problems in the street, it seems counter-productive to me. At least if they are in school, they probably know English, and they trying to learn.

To me it seems more productive to not allow illegals to attend K-12, then the illegals will think twice about bringing or having kids here. CC is already after the fact, now you will have an 18 year old who cannot do anything and will have nothing but time to evade ICE.
The community colleges are underwritten by tax dollars.

Old 08-09-2008, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
The community colleges are underwritten by tax dollars.
So even though they pay tuition there is concern that just stepping foot on campus and sitting in a class chair is costing tax dollars?

Ok, where do you think they kids will go? All this does is ensure they continue the cycle of poverty.

Old 08-09-2008, 01:59 PM

7,025 posts, read 11,382,786 times
Quote:
So even though they pay tuition there is concern that just stepping foot on campus and sitting in a class chair is costing tax dollars?

Ok, where do you think they kids will go? All this does is ensure they continue the cycle of poverty.
No the biggest concern is that THEY ARE ILLEGAL ALIEN criminals stealing a seat from an American student who LEGALLY has the right to be educated in an American college.

I don't give a rat's ass who brought them here or at what age. They are old enough to have made the decision at the age of 18 to go home, attend schools in their own country or remain here ILLEGALLY. By their own admission they have made the personal choice to remain here criminally and become professional, liars, cheats, thieves, drunk drivers and illegally doing whatever it takes to evade our laws. JUST LIKE THEIR CRIMINAL PARENTS.

Gotta love those family values

Old 08-09-2008, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
No the biggest concern is that THEY ARE ILLEGAL ALIEN criminals stealing a seat from an American student who LEGALLY has the right to be educated in an American college.

I don't give a rat's ass who brought them here or at what age. They are old enough to have made the decision at the age of 18 to go home, attend schools in their own country or remain here ILLEGALLY. By their own admission they have made the personal choice to remain here criminally and become professional, liars, cheats, thieves, drunk drivers and illegally doing whatever it takes to evade our laws. JUST LIKE THEIR CRIMINAL PARENTS.

Gotta love those family values
So classes at CC are overrun and there have been American citizens getting denied because classes are full? Do you have any sources for that claim?

Don't cry when you have a bunch of 18-22 year olds who only speak English (hard to go back) and are out causing problems. I can understand eliminating free rides like K-12, but CC, they are paying for. Counter-productive IMO.

Old 08-09-2008, 02:11 PM

4,829 posts, read 7,731,151 times
Quote:
So classes at CC are overrun and there have been American citizens getting denied because classes are full? Do you have any sources for that claim?

Don't cry when you have a bunch of 18-22 year olds who only speak English (hard to go back) and are out causing problems. I can understand eliminating free rides like K-12, but CC, they are paying for. Counter-productive IMO.

Off course they don't, the argument that these students are taking the spots of american citizens is just false. I have never met or heard of an american citizen who had been denied access to a community colllege because it was "full" or because their spot was taken by an "illegal".

I also believe these students have to pay out of state tuition in N.C to be able to attend these colleges.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration