U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 08:14 PM

4,828 posts, read 6,791,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyPinestra View Post
Why don't you read it and tell us, blacknight, rather than blindly criticize?
I am not about to read through 72 pages. It is up to the thread starter to provide key information to back up her argument. So far, she has failed to provide from the study how much money immigrants contribute to the economy. What if they contribute double or triple the amount of money the study claim they cost taxpayers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2008, 08:29 PM

20,310 posts, read 18,884,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
I am not about to read through 72 pages. It is up to the thread starter to provide key information to back up her argument. So far, she has failed to provide from the study how much money immigrants contribute to the economy. What if they contribute double or triple the amount of money the study claim they cost taxpayers?
I would like to know the ethnic backgrounds on those they study. As it stands its to generic. Not to mention I am not going to filter through 72 pages to find it either.
To say immigration of any kind should be banned because immigrants don't contribute is a zenophobic statement at best. I have yet to meet an asian immigrant that accepts a hand out of any kind. Being married to a thai I have met quite a few. Its almost taboo to them not to earn their keep.

Old 08-10-2008, 08:46 PM

638 posts, read 1,638,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
. . Because the U.S. has 37 million immigrants, legal and illegal, the national cost was more than $346 billion last year, which was twice our fiscal deficit.
A few states occasionally put out numbers on what illegal aliens cost them, which is more specific, and based on that, a few years ago I tallied an estimate that illegal aliens cost us $250 billion per year. So this "best guess" is all I've had to go on, based on the numbers I had at the time.

If there is an actual number tallied more exactly than my guess, on what "illegal aliens" cost us annually, I'd like to see it. Thanks.

Old 08-10-2008, 08:48 PM

2,065 posts, read 3,174,407 times
Quote:
The answer to your rather dull question was provided in the snippet that was posted.
Quote:
Because the U.S. has 37 million immigrants, legal and illegal, the national cost was more than $346 billion last year, which was twice our fiscal deficit. The cost of immigrants is so high because, as Rubenstein writes, "Immigrants are poorer, pay less taxes and are more likely to receive public benefits than natives."
It's obvious to me that Mr. Rubenstein did figure in the taxes that immigrants pay, as have other studies that have reached the same conclusion.

Old 08-10-2008, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
I would like to know the ethnic backgrounds on those they study. As it stands its to generic. Not to mention I am not going to filter through 72 pages to find it either.
To say immigration of any kind should be banned because immigrants don't contribute is a zenophobic statement at best. I have yet to meet an asian immigrant that accepts a hand out of any kind. Being married to a thai I have met quite a few. Its almost taboo to them not to earn their keep.
I understand your position, tinman, I have a SIL who is from Thailand and is much the same way. I'm afraid, however, that this study doesn't go so far as to break down the cost of immigrants based on their ethnicity.

Old 08-10-2008, 08:57 PM

2,256 posts, read 2,963,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r601020 View Post
A few states occasionally put out numbers on what illegal aliens cost them, which is more specific, and based on that, a few years ago I tallied an estimate that illegal aliens cost us $250 billion per year. So this "best guess" is all I've had to go on, based on the numbers I had at the time.

If there is an actual number tallied more exactly than my guess, on what "illegal aliens" cost us annually, I'd like to see it. Thanks.
I'll try to find the source, but I remember it being stated that counting contributions from illegal immigrants as well as their use of government services, they're actually a small net drain on the economy. Can't remember where I read that.

Old 08-10-2008, 08:59 PM

4,828 posts, read 6,791,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyPinestra View Post
The answer to your rather dull question was provided in the snippet that was posted.

It's obvious to me that Mr. Rubenstein did figure in the taxes that immigrants pay, as have other studies that have reached the same conclusion.
Quote:
"Immigrants are poorer, pay less taxes and are more likely to receive public benefits than natives
B.S, once again if he could come up with how much they cost, how come he didn't come up with how much the contribute to the economy in cash?

Old 08-10-2008, 09:09 PM

Quote:
B.S, once again if he could come up with how much they cost, how come he didn't come up with how much the contribute to the economy in money?
Did you ever think that his figures quoted were NET, meaning AFTER contributions were figured?

And just where do you think these contributions are going to come from, anyway? We know that low income workers pay little to no income tax, and usually receive back more from the EIC than what they've paid. We know that property taxes paid through rents do little to offset the 8K/year average it costs to educate children K-12. We also know that the added costs of ESL classes for those children aren't figured into that 8k/year average. We know that about $40 BILLION/year is sent as remittances out of our economy, stimulating NOTHING.

Where do you expect this magical benefit to come from?

Old 08-10-2008, 09:33 PM

4,800 posts, read 7,689,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r601020 View Post

The figures in the study are based on the costs to 13 pertinent governmental agencies.

Old 08-10-2008, 09:40 PM

4,800 posts, read 7,689,216 times
Quote:
Are you kidding me?

You expect me to wade through the study and post pertinent arguments for you?

Did you tell your college professors that because they lectured on a particular subject in class, it was up to them to do your reading for you and get back to you with the cliff note version?

I posted the bloody study If you're going to comment on the study, it's up to you to do the research first. I'm not your mama and I am not going to do all of the work and regurgitate the "good parts" because you're too lazy to do it yourself.

Besides, this study looks at the fiscal costs to thirteen specific governmental agencies. Any information regarding immigrant contributions (legal or otherwise) is incidental.

Do your own research bk. I read the entire study and it really wasn't too difficult. You'll be happy to know that Mr. Rubenstein keeps the big words to a minimum.

Last edited by Kele; 08-10-2008 at 10:23 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or