Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2008, 08:33 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,562,484 times

Advertisements

Quote:
The survey, first released last February, measured the changing and diversifying religious affiliations of some 35,000 American adults. Researchers found that Catholics lose more adherents than any other religious group; one in 10 Americans are former Catholics.

Despite those losses, Catholic numbers have held steady during the last two decades, at about a quarter of the U.S. population. That's thanks in large part to immigrants, notably Latinos. About one-third of U.S. Catholics are Latino, which is helping offset the more secular attitudes that have gained ground in Europe, Lugo said.

''Immigration is not leading to the de-Christianization of American society but to the de-Europization of American Christianity,'' said Lugo, a native of Cuba.
Surprise, Surprise!

Bishops told immigration is key to the future of Catholic Church - Salt Lake Tribune
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2008, 08:40 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,134,028 times
Again; why do those putative 'Hispanics' want to distance themselves from Euro culture yet embrace certain aspects of Spanish (Euro) culture?

Flamin' hypocrites.

Old 06-15-2008, 09:37 AM

3,859 posts, read 10,328,724 times
The pandering to illegal lawbreakers and the disgusting handling of the sex abuse by clergy are the reasons that my husband has not set foot in or given $$ to the Catholic church since his dad died in 2001. I am not Catholic-I am Protestant. We were married in my church anyways and he goes with me. Of course, I do realize there are non-Catholic churches that are pro-illegal as well. They all need to have their non-profit tax exempt status revoked if they are aiding and harboring illegals.

Nicolem

Old 06-15-2008, 10:48 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Interesting how the countries the hispanics are fleeing are Catholic-hispanic countries. They're fleeing TO a country that was founded more on Protestant principles.

Old 06-15-2008, 01:50 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,855,247 times
Well the Catholic Church needs donation and it is there agenda to get more illegals as they are a source of revenue from them as well as "appearing" morally upright... Thats like a Charity donating to itself which seems like a "decent" thing to do...

Old 06-15-2008, 04:27 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Well the Catholic Church needs donation and it is there agenda to get more illegals as they are a source of revenue from them as well as "appearing" morally upright... Thats like a Charity donating to itself which seems like a "decent" thing to do...
I suspect much of the "charity" now has much to do with government "faith based charity" programs which give the Church money to do things with all the poor migrants moving in.

If these churches, not just Catholic, actually had to give up something of their own, I think they'd become less generous. For example, if illegals were to be sent to Catholic hospitals for their free and unreimbursed hospital care, or the children of illegals offered free schools at the Catholic schools, then maybe they would be a little less into open borders.

Old 06-15-2008, 06:06 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,639,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I suspect much of the "charity" now has much to do with government "faith based charity" programs which give the Church money to do things with all the poor migrants moving in.

If these churches, not just Catholic, actually had to give up something of their own, I think they'd become less generous. For example, if illegals were to be sent to Catholic hospitals for their free and unreimbursed hospital care, or the children of illegals offered free schools at the Catholic schools, then maybe they would be a little less into open borders.
Actually their money is where their mouth is. I know of at least two catholic grade schools that have a minority (legal citizens) paying full or partial tuition while the majority (illegals mainly from mexico as it happens) paying nothing. The church subsidizes the illegals.
I would imagine they do the same at their hospitals and other charities (of which to be fair, they do a lot of work in).

What the catholics are doing is the exact same thing the republicans and democrats are doing ---- pandering to a large pool of potential devotees. Wrong politically or religiously.

Last edited by camping!; 06-15-2008 at 06:07 PM.. Reason: sp

Old 06-15-2008, 06:26 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,134,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Actually their money is where their mouth is. I know of at least two catholic grade schools that have a minority (legal citizens) paying full or partial tuition while the majority (illegals mainly from mexico as it happens) paying nothing. The church subsidizes the illegals.
I would imagine they do the same at their hospitals and other charities (of which to be fair, they do a lot of work in).

What the catholics are doing is the exact same thing the republicans and democrats are doing ---- pandering to a large pool of potential devotees. Wrong politically or religiously.
And a major slap in the face of those Catholics (and everyone else) who obeyed and respected the law

Old 06-15-2008, 09:42 PM

1,744 posts, read 7,260,609 times
I respect a lot of Catholicism's cultural traditions, but not enough to think it's ok for them to pull this.

If the Catholic church is such an universal institution, what does it matter to them if their practicioners are in the United States? Sounds more like some of the clergy in the US is worried more about job security rather than how many souls they can save.

Old 06-16-2008, 10:56 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,431,396 times
"the de-Europization of American Christianity"

Wow, those Catholics are really showing us of European descent, aren't they? I always seemed to think Catholicism was brought here by way of Europe - now come to find it is brought to us from Latin America. Silly me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration