U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which choice best describes you?
latino/hispanic, and FOR illegal immigrants/amnesty 4 4.71%
latino/hispanic, and AGAINST illegal immigration/amnesty 14 16.47%
NON-latino/hispanic, and FOR illegal immigrants/amnesty 9 10.59%
NON-latino/hispanic, and AGAINST illegal immigration/amnesty 58 68.24%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 10:31 AM

20,310 posts, read 18,931,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikCortez View Post
Not me; illegal IS illegal an illegal aliens are sneaky. I dont trust any of em.
I am the same. Illegal is illegal and no I dont trust anyone who feels laws dont apply to them.
Its not just the being here illegally issue. Its the willingness to break a host of other laws that concerns me.
Some compare it to speeding.
Most speeders do not go on to commit fraud, tax evasion and ID theft because of speeding. Someone willing to break so many laws is not someone that I would want as a neighbor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2011, 10:49 AM

47,576 posts, read 58,877,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
I am the same. Illegal is illegal and no I dont trust anyone who feels laws dont apply to them.
Its not just the being here illegally issue. Its the willingness to break a host of other laws that concerns me.
Most speeders do not go on to commit fraud, tax evasion and ID theft because of speeding. Someone willing to break so many laws is not someone that I would want as a neighbor.
Yes and you don't see those given speeding tickets out protesting and demanding that they have special rights to break the traffic laws. And yes, not many speeders are involved in identification theft and felony document fraud because of it.

Or how would this argument fly? Because I want to speed, all the laws on speeding must be never enforced?

Old 08-27-2011, 11:00 AM

951 posts, read 617,999 times
Quote:

Someone that would speed, would probably run stop signs, ignore crosswalks and endanger pedestrians and other unsafe things that actually endanger people are a-ok though.
If you gave these people a legal option to come here they would not commit any of the above crimes.

Old 08-27-2011, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huddledmasses View Post
Someone that would speed, would probably run stop signs, ignore crosswalks and endanger pedestrians and other unsafe things that actually endanger people are a-ok though.
If you gave these people a legal option to come here they would not commit any of the above crimes.
And if we didnt have speed limits, stop signs or cross walks those wouldn't be crimes committed either.
Once again why do we owe them a legal option? We allow more immigration than anyone else. How much more do we need to allow. Lets also not forget that the majority of those here illegally never made an attempt to enter legally.
You generalize quite a bit. Those that would speed would probably run stop signs etc. How do you know? I don't know if they would or not. The difference is no one is demanding an amnesty for them or a free pass.

Old 08-27-2011, 11:35 AM

3,809 posts, read 4,819,791 times
Quote:
--i think you've got it

Old 08-27-2011, 11:40 AM

3,809 posts, read 4,819,791 times
Quote:
And if we didnt have speed limits, stop signs or cross walks those wouldn't be crimes committed either.
Once again why do we owe them a legal option? We allow more immigration than anyone else. How much more do we need to allow. Lets also not forget that the majority of those here illegally never made an attempt to enter legally.
You generalize quite a bit. Those that would speed would probably run stop signs etc. How do you know? I don't know if they would or not. The difference is no one is demanding an amnesty for them or a free pass.
and you know they never made an attempt how????

Old 08-27-2011, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Putting words in my mouth? Show me a post of mine where I claimed illegals all go on to commit rape murder or any other violent crimes.
Once again you dont answer a simple question. Why do we owe unskilled workers a VISA? Their problems are not ours and we have our own problems with unemployment.
Well, when I say we should be treated equal, you revert to "they are all criminals, and when I say they wouldn't be criminals if we made them legal you run to "they don't have a right to be here, their problems aren't ours, blah blah blah".

Circular arguments are fun.

Quote:
Its a valid argument because we in fact allow more immigration than all others. It should not be expected that we shoulder the burden for every want to be immigrant regardless of their ability to support themselves. Most if not all nations require an immigrant to be able to prove ability to support themselves for a period of time. This is reasonable. It prevents immigrants from entering who will instantly become a burden.
They want the right to work and support themselves, just like all of our ancestors did. I have nothing wrong with making sure they are working once they are in the country. The issue is that they aren't able to legally come into the country.

Old 08-27-2011, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntieannie68 View Post
and you know they never made an attempt how????

Almost half are visa overstays for vacationing I believe. "Trying" is just a red herring anyway when we all know there isn't a way for an unskilled worker to "try" to get here.

Old 08-27-2011, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Well, when I say we should be treated equal, you revert to "they are all criminals, and when I say they wouldn't be criminals if we made them legal you run to "they don't have a right to be here, their problems aren't ours, blah blah blah".

Circular arguments are fun.

They want the right to work and support themselves, just like all of our ancestors did. I have nothing wrong with making sure they are working once they are in the country. The issue is that they aren't able to legally come into the country.
Talk about circular arguments
I said we are all equal but that doesnt mean all have an equal right to my property. I am allowed to determine who rides in my car. Who enters my house etc. By not giving you a ride by no means makes you less equal than I. The same goes for my home. I elect to allow my friend to enter. I don't allow the stranger. Is he less equal than my friend? I have not denied him any of his rights. I simply didnt extend to him the same invitation I did to my friend.
I want to to work for NASA. Im not qualified but I should be given a job?
Not all want to be immigrants meet the qualifications. The fact we allow so many indicates we are some what more accepting than everyone else.
They want? They want? Who cares what they want. I want to win the lottery, i didnt. So I should just take what I want?
The reason they can't legally enter the country is they didn't or aren't qualified. they didnt meet the minimum standards. Thats not our fault. We have the right to decide what that minimum is.

Old 08-27-2011, 12:07 PM

So you think the right to work and your right to win a lottery are somehow comparable?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or