U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which choice best describes you?
latino/hispanic, and FOR illegal immigrants/amnesty 4 4.71%
latino/hispanic, and AGAINST illegal immigration/amnesty 14 16.47%
NON-latino/hispanic, and FOR illegal immigrants/amnesty 9 10.59%
NON-latino/hispanic, and AGAINST illegal immigration/amnesty 58 68.24%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 03:01 PM

2,065 posts, read 3,177,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Can't rep you, but that pic just made my day - thanks Guy!
My pleasure!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2008, 03:08 PM

13,065 posts, read 21,197,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
So out of my whole statement about your wrongful extrapolation of this poll, you pick out the words "your culture"? Geez.

Ok "our" culture, although I bet mine is a little different from yours.
No doubt, I bet I'm not the only one who remembers the line "equal, but different"...not all cultures are created equally, as we have seen in the immigration forum very explicitly illustrated by macmeal.

You must have made some assumptions as to my culture, since I don't believe I have pontificated about it quite to the degree that some others do about their own.

I didn't just "pick out" those words by the way - they slapped me in the face like a wet fish.

Old 08-12-2008, 04:10 PM

20,310 posts, read 18,904,581 times
I am not biased towards any ethnic background when it comes to illegals. I most certainly feel they should all receive the same reward when caught. Deported. If they are caught violating any other laws besides immigration it should result in a permanant ban from re-entry.
One difference I do see is the illegal hispanics seem to demand special consideration. Almost as though they feel entitled to such. This attitude is what is causing the animosity towards hispanics in particular. Not because they are simply hispanic.

Old 08-12-2008, 04:49 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,658,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
I am not biased towards any ethnic background when it comes to illegals. I most certainly feel they should all receive the same reward when caught. Deported. If they are caught violating any other laws besides immigration it should result in a permanant ban from re-entry.
One difference I do see is the illegal hispanics seem to demand special consideration. Almost as though they feel entitled to such. This attitude is what is causing the animosity towards hispanics in particular. Not because they are simply hispanic.
As you stated.

BTW: if we were being innudated by Hungarians; despite my being in part of that heritage------I would be just as pissed.

Old 08-12-2008, 04:52 PM

20,310 posts, read 18,904,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
As you stated.

BTW: if we were being innudated by Hungarians; despite my being in part of that heritage------I would be just as pissed.
My wife is Thai and if we were being flooded by illegal Thai's I would be just as irked and demand that they be deported. I both admire and respect the Thai culture but that does not earn them a walk.

Old 08-12-2008, 07:53 PM

3,640 posts, read 4,313,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyPinestra View Post
LOLOLOLOL Love it and so very true!!!!

Old 08-12-2008, 08:46 PM

214 posts, read 425,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
I am an American who identifies with being Hispanic but I can't say that I am clearly "anti-illegal" or "pro-illegal." My views are much more complex than that and I would only be okay with a one-time amnesty if immigration policy went through a total overhaul and post-overhaul there was much more strict enforcement of the new policy. I would support "wiping the slate clean and starting over again" ONLY IF the new rules were strictly enforced after that happened. For this reason I am going to abstain from voting because Lord knows what a field day people on this forum would have if I self-labeled myself as "pro-illegal" !

Too late you just did lable yourself, imo .

Old 08-12-2008, 08:54 PM

3,368 posts, read 10,287,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ga.Peach View Post
Too late you just did lable yourself, imo .
But not as "pro-illegal." My views are too complicated to be forced into a polarized "yes" or "no" or "pro" or "anti".

Old 08-12-2008, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolem View Post
Tried that in 1986. We were promised in every way possible that there would never be an amnesty or a need for an amnesty again. Everything was going to be fixed if we just gave a few million lawbreakers citizenship. That worked real well- here we are 20-30 mill illegals later.

There were rules and laws passed with the 1986 Amnesty-that-had they been followed we would not be in this mess. Back then only a few million got amnesty.

The only thinng that we got out of 1986 was amnesty for those who broke laws. None of the enforcement was ever followed up on.

Reagan was no conservative, just another amnesty loving liar like all the rest .

Why reward criminals with amnesty ? Lock up all who hire them and they will go back home, soon as they close every hospital in America or all our dr.s speak a foreign language . Have you noticed how many immigrants control our healthcare now ? Some can't help but show their hostility to whites and blacks .

Any of you visit a waiting room lately ? Lost your insurance because of job loss ? Go to a clinic where loud mouth aggressive acting latinos storm through doors speaking spanish? I have .

Did you know that leprocy ,malaria, polio, and other eradicated diseases are coming back . Go to dr. with cut foot ,maybe leave with a deadly disease from third world. Google it and weep .

Old 08-12-2008, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
This is an interesting idea for a poll, but it is misleading. The title "How much does one's ethnicity matter when picking a side in the illegal debate?" implies that one's Hispanic/Latino ethnicity is part of the reason for his/her views on the matter and that is often not the case, as it is not with me. There are plenty of people who use an ethno-racial argument that Hispanics of full or partial Amerindian background have a right to be anywhere in the North American continent, regardless of borders, but that is zero percent of why I have the views that I do; in fact, I wholeheartedly reject this ethno-racial argument. For people like me, identifying with Hispanic ethnicity and possessing a certain view on illegal immigration have little to no connection. Maybe you should make the poll more sophisticated to both poll whether a) one identifies with Hispanic/Latino ethnicity AND b) the reasoning behind one's views on the illegal immigration debate.

Tell that to LA RAZA or in english 'the race' .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or