U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Which choice best describes you?
latino/hispanic, and FOR illegal immigrants/amnesty 4 4.71%
latino/hispanic, and AGAINST illegal immigration/amnesty 14 16.47%
NON-latino/hispanic, and FOR illegal immigrants/amnesty 9 10.59%
NON-latino/hispanic, and AGAINST illegal immigration/amnesty 58 68.24%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-12-2008, 08:08 PM
 
214 posts, read 425,444 times
Reputation: 64

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
But not as "pro-illegal." My views are too complicated to be forced into a polarized "yes" or "no" or "pro" or "anti".

Your too young to argue with, so how can you undertand whats going on ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-12-2008, 08:09 PM
 
3,368 posts, read 10,272,188 times
Reputation: 1675
Oh, I have told them. I have spoken out against them in public and not only on the internet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2008, 08:10 PM
 
3,368 posts, read 10,272,188 times
Reputation: 1675
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ga.Peach View Post
Your too young to argue with, so how can you undertand whats going on ?
What?!?!? I am 23 years old with a degree from a prestigious university and am now in law school. I have lived all over the country and in Europe. I am no dummie and have more life experiences than you know, so don't insult me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2008, 08:23 PM
 
4,828 posts, read 6,789,466 times
Reputation: 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ga.Peach View Post
Tell that to LA RAZA or in english 'the race' .
Typical alipac talking point.

Quote:
Many people incorrectly translate our name, “La Raza,” as “the race.” While it is true that one meaning of “raza” in Spanish is indeed “race,” in Spanish, as in English and any other language, words can and do have multiple meanings. As noted in several online dictionaries, “La Raza” means “the people” or “the community.” Translating our name as “the race” is not only inaccurate, it is factually incorrect. “Hispanic” is an ethnicity, not a race. As anyone who has ever met a Dominican American, Mexican American, or Spanish American can attest, Hispanics can be and are members of any and all races.
National Council of La Raza: Translation of La Raza (http://www.nclr.org/section/translation - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2008, 08:41 PM
Status: "Make America the Great Joke Again" (set 22 days ago)
 
Location: Denver
9,059 posts, read 15,464,992 times
Reputation: 5288
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
Typical alipac talking point.



National Council of La Raza: Translation of La Raza (http://www.nclr.org/section/translation - broken link)

Seriously folks La Raza doesn't mean "The race" like some god awful title,yes a title like that goes against the American culture.
I can understand where you would be confused, but it would take literally a minute or two of Googling to find the Hispanic version of "la raza" means "the people" or "the community" this statement has been around for a long time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2008, 08:48 PM
 
4,828 posts, read 6,789,466 times
Reputation: 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Seriously folks La Raza doesn't mean "The race" like some god awful title,yes a title like that goes against the American culture.
I can understand where you would be confused, but it would take literally a minute or two of Googling to find the Hispanic version of "la raza" means "the people" or "the community" this statement has been around for a long time.
They don't care about facts, its all about propaganda to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2008, 09:06 PM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,807,269 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Seriously folks La Raza doesn't mean "The race" like some god awful title,yes a title like that goes against the American culture.
I can understand where you would be confused, but it would take literally a minute or two of Googling to find the Hispanic version of "la raza" means "the people" or "the community" this statement has been around for a long time.
Please don't insult our intelligence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2008, 09:15 PM
 
Location: Arizona
2,065 posts, read 3,173,411 times
Reputation: 391
Quote:
Many people incorrectly translate our name, “La Raza,” as “the race.” While it is true that one meaning of “raza” in Spanish is indeed “race,” in Spanish, as in English and any other language, words can and do have multiple meanings. As noted in several online dictionaries, “La Raza” means “the people” or “the community.” Translating our name as “the race” is not only inaccurate, it is factually incorrect. “Hispanic” is an ethnicity, not a race. As anyone who has ever met a Dominican American, Mexican American, or Spanish American can attest, Hispanics can be and are members of any and all races.
In other words, all those accusations of 'racism' are groundless.

And as an aside, the slogan mentioned comes from MEChA, not NCLR.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2008, 09:16 PM
 
8,973 posts, read 14,610,630 times
Reputation: 2983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Seriously folks La Raza doesn't mean "The race" like some god awful title,yes a title like that goes against the American culture.
I can understand where you would be confused, but it would take literally a minute or two of Googling to find the Hispanic version of "la raza" means "the people" or "the community" this statement has been around for a long time.
Spanish has ample opportunity to express 'the community' in non-offensive terms...how about 'el gente'?....'el grupo'?....'la comunidad'?....'la poblacion'?...'los miembros'?....'la familia'?

"La Raza" is offensive and intimidating, and those who employ that term know it.

Of course, English is the same in many ways....'the race' IS one way of saying 'the group'...or 'the chosen few'...or 'the insiders'....and English-speakers know this...and if they use the term 'the race' in describing a group, they realize it will offend...particularly it will offend non-members. So mostly, they don't use it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2008, 09:23 PM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,611,035 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Spanish has ample opportunity to express 'the community' in non-offensive terms...how about 'el gente'?....'el grupo'?....'la comunidad'?....'la poblacion'?...'los miembros'?....'la familia'?

"La Raza" is offensive and intimidating, and those who employ that term know it.

Of course, English is the same in many ways....'the race' IS one way of saying 'the group'...or 'the chosen few'...or 'the insiders'....and English-speakers know this...and if they use the term 'the race' in describing a group, they realize it will offend...particularly it will offend non-members. So mostly, they don't use it.
I agree...........a Hispanic organization using especially El Gente in its title sounds classier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top