Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 05:11 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,741,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
Nic I couldn't have said it any better. Prior to this invasion I was very tolerant of spanish. When I started having to press 2 for English and began hearing it incessantly while in Chicago, it began to remind me of terrorist chatter. I will die and go to hell before I learn to speak it.
I dont doubt it, haha.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2008, 05:13 PM

7,025 posts, read 11,383,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolem View Post
[/b]

You and me both! I know some words that I picked up from when I used to go to a deli and the illegals would come in at lunch time and say stuff about the women in their business dress. My friends told me what they were saying. However it will never go beyond that-this is America speak English.

Nicolem
I hear you and feel the same way. I have a co-worker who is fluent in spanish. We were on our way from court one day and got on the elevator with two of them who were chattering in spanish and laughing about how stupid the judge was for believing their little sob story.

My girl cold busted them by letting them know in espanol that she was an officer of the court and that she planned on calling the judge's chambers when we got back to work. The look on those two chica's faces? Priceless. They tore butt getting off the elevator.

Old 08-11-2008, 05:16 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,516,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
So you are narrow-minded enough to disregard everything that man had to say because of one inept comparison. Besides, from your comment its obvious you weren't listening very well to begin with. Personally, I thought it was a very thought provoking video, and it made a lot of sense. Common sense to be exact. Something that a majority of Americans these days lack. Just like my common sense is telling me I can't take your post seriously when you didn't even really listen. You just watched until something was said that you thought you could attack. Classic.
I'm not trying to hijack the thread, but your post reminded me of something I read on a forum last year. The author is unknown, so hopefully this won't violate TOS.

Mr. Common Sense

Today we mourn the passing of a beloved old friend, Mr. Common Sense. Mr. Sense had been with us for many years. No one knows for sure how old he was since his birth records were long ago lost in bureaucratic red tape.

He will be remembered as having cultivated such value lessons as knowing when to come in out of the rain, why the early bird gets the worm and that life isn't always fair. Common Sense lived by simple, sound financial policies (don't spend more than you earn) and reliable parenting strategies (adults, not kids, are in charge).

His health began to rapidly deteriorate when well intentioned but overbearing regulations were set in place. Reports of a six-year-old boy charged with sexual harassment for kissing a classmate; teens suspended from school for using mouthwash after lunch; and a teacher fired for reprimanding an unruly student, only worsened his condition.

Mr. Sense declined even further when schools were required to get parental consent to administer aspirin to a student; but, could not inform the parents when a student became pregnant and wanted to have an abortion.

Finally, Common Sense lost the will to live as the Ten Commandments became contraband and criminals received better treatment than their victims.

Common Sense finally gave up the ghost after a woman failed to realize that a steaming cup of coffee was hot, spilled it in her lap, and was awarded a huge financial settlement.

Common Sense was preceded in death by his parents, Truth and Trust, his wife, Discretion; his daughter, Responsibility; and his son, Reason. He is survived by two stepsisters; My Rights and Ima Whiner.

Not many attended his funeral because so few realized he was gone.

Old 08-11-2008, 05:22 PM

4,803 posts, read 8,731,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
I'm not trying to hijack the thread, but your post reminded me of something I read on a forum last year. The author is unknown, so hopefully this won't violate TOS.

Mr. Common Sense

Today we mourn the passing of a beloved old friend, Mr. Common Sense. Mr. Sense had been with us for many years. No one knows for sure how old he was since his birth records were long ago lost in bureaucratic red tape.

He will be remembered as having cultivated such value lessons as knowing when to come in out of the rain, why the early bird gets the worm and that life isn't always fair. Common Sense lived by simple, sound financial policies (don't spend more than you earn) and reliable parenting strategies (adults, not kids, are in charge).

His health began to rapidly deteriorate when well intentioned but overbearing regulations were set in place. Reports of a six-year-old boy charged with sexual harassment for kissing a classmate; teens suspended from school for using mouthwash after lunch; and a teacher fired for reprimanding an unruly student, only worsened his condition.

Mr. Sense declined even further when schools were required to get parental consent to administer aspirin to a student; but, could not inform the parents when a student became pregnant and wanted to have an abortion.

Finally, Common Sense lost the will to live as the Ten Commandments became contraband and criminals received better treatment than their victims.

Common Sense finally gave up the ghost after a woman failed to realize that a steaming cup of coffee was hot, spilled it in her lap, and was awarded a huge financial settlement.

Common Sense was preceded in death by his parents, Truth and Trust, his wife, Discretion; his daughter, Responsibility; and his son, Reason. He is survived by two stepsisters; My Rights and Ima Whiner.

Not many attended his funeral because so few realized he was gone.
She shoots, she scores.....

Old 08-11-2008, 06:46 PM

2,065 posts, read 3,587,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
So I'm supposed to take him seriously becauses hes an old white dude in a colonial era costume?
I listened up to the part where he compares a Muslim neck scarf to a KKK hood.

Tell this loser to get off is soapbox and head back to the Revolutionary War reenactment.
I think this is probably the dumbest post you've ever made, amc.

It just proves that critical thinking is NOT your long suit...

Old 08-11-2008, 06:56 PM

7,025 posts, read 11,383,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyPinestra View Post

Give him a break that's his best shot. To acknowledge the truth in the content of the video would have been excruciatingly painful.

Old 08-11-2008, 08:44 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,295,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
so i'm supposed to take him seriously because hes an la raza dude in a santa anna era costume?
I listened up to the part where he compares a pancho villa to a george washington.

Tell this loser to get off is soapbox and head back to the border .
:d

Old 08-12-2008, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyPinestra View Post

I dont know about being my "long suit", but I got some critical thinking skillz.
I think this is more of a matter of opinion than critical thinking though, Chomsky.

Old 08-12-2008, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Give him a break that's his best shot. To acknowledge the truth in the content of the video would have been excruciatingly painful.
But all the bs you spew is just so easy, huh?

Old 08-12-2008, 03:08 PM

608 posts, read 1,002,954 times
Quote:
Isn't that what we said . . . so your point is? Oh wait, as usual you don't have one, you just need somebody, anybody to pay you a little attention.

Interesting how he ends his message with a contradiction. He dilutes the wine and then says, "this wine was once rich highly desired and admired but when diluted with enough water it stops being anything". One country. One culture. One language.

The US is multi cultural even if you do not consider race or ethnic cultures. We have Northern versus Southern versus Western versus Middle American culture. The US is multi lingual regional slang. So the dilution of the wine means one bland country with no regional differences let alone foreign cultural differences.

A rich (non-monetarily speaking) country is one of different complex and yet highly refined and evolved flavors. As I have said before Culture changes and constantly evolves not only over centuries but also from decade to decade. The unique thing about American culture is that it is in fact multi cultural starting with the Indigenous American Indians and Pilgrims to every other foreigner arriving there after making the rich full-bodied wine that we are today. Personally I prefer good full-bodied wine not tasteless colorless water.

He should have used a more relevant metaphor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration