U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 04:59 PM

13,056 posts, read 21,185,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
Just as i thought.
What did you "thought"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2008, 06:13 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,624,231 times
EASY there, folks...MY FAULT. You'll recall that in my post I offered Blacknight an answer to his "presumably sincere" question..and that was my fatal mistake. Obviously, his question ('why are these groups seen as 'racist'?') wasn't sincere in the first place...therefore my answer to him was of no interest to him...the fact is, I simply PRESUMED WRONG !!....my error.

Old 08-13-2008, 06:26 PM

3,172 posts, read 5,999,935 times
Quote:
LOL..wow.

Okay help me out on this one o wise one. What did Mac mean by his post? I want to know your understanding of it.
They can't tell you.
I dont think they even read the stuff Mac says. He just types his mini essay posts full
of anecdotes and clever wordplay, and you always end up with either a "Well said, Mac!" or the "Never eat (insert liquid food here) when reading one of Mac's posts!".
Oh yeah, and "I just love a MAC ATTACK!"

It takes a while to decipher, but its pretty much the same stuff the others say. It just sounds mo' purrtay and booksmart-like.

Old 08-13-2008, 06:32 PM

638 posts, read 1,639,228 times
Quote:
National Immigration Forum -> Diverse Alliance Supports Comprehensive Immigration Reform (http://immigrationforum.org/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=581 - broken link)
This is probably a conversation to itself . . but let me quote The American Jewish Community with something I think is at the core of the problem with their assessment.

Quote:
Leaders of a national Jewish group say the hate being directed at Mexican immigrants resonates with their own experience.
They've internalized it.

It's not just Jews that feel this way. When you take the the offensive about problems with "immigration", a lot of groups get their neck hairs up on the defense. Hispanics, for example . . we're trying to seperate wheat from the chaff, and they're standing with the Hispanic illegal aliens because they're Hispanic.

Updated, my count is currently 10 Hispanics outspoken against illegal aliens.

I've read through some documents from the American Jewish Committee and I can see points they're tring to make as they juggle concerns, but taking a position in favor of amnesty for illegal aliens, is isolating themselves from the solution.

Amnesty is not a viable solution.

Immigration - American Jewish Committee

Related Articles - American Jewish Committee

Opinions - American Jewish Committee

Last edited by r601020; 08-13-2008 at 06:44 PM..

Old 08-13-2008, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
They can't tell you.
I dont think they even read the stuff Mac says. He just types his mini essay posts full
of anecdotes and clever wordplay, and you always end up with either a "Well said, Mac!" or the "Never eat (insert liquid food here) when reading one of Mac's posts!".

It takes a while to decipher, but its pretty much the same stuff the others say. It just sounds mo' purrtay and booksmart-like.
I know I can be annoying. I HATE it when I annoy people. Please forgive me. I've thought of going to counseling. Be patient.

Old 08-13-2008, 06:38 PM

3,712 posts, read 5,714,475 times
Quote:
They can't tell you.

The question asked was why do anti-illegals consider hispanic advocacy groups such as NCLR, Lulac, MALDEF and so on to be racist?

To me, his answer is very straighforward. What is the problem?

Quote:
I realize there are groups like the Black Caucus, the Italian Catholic Federation, the Japanese-American citizen's League, The Sons of Norway, and similar groups. These are more-or-less tolerated as harmless and benevolent, mostly because they are not seen as advocating anything controversial or harmless to their fellow Americans. Hispanic groups, by and large, today, are SEEN as (and in fact, many ARE), advocating the continued presence of vast numbers of illegal immigrants, whose interests these groups favor over and above the interests of 'other' (non-Hispanic) Americans. THe only conclusion most of us can make is that this 'favoring' of the illegal over the 'legal' MUST be due to ethnic reasons...there's no other reasonable explanation.

It's for that reason, in these increasingly tumultuous times of vast illegal immigration, that those groups seen as publically favoring those OF THEIR OWN STATED ETHNICITY as they commit illegal acts, are seen by others as 'Racist" groups. While this may not be altogether accurate, it isn't hard to understand. IMHO, such an asumption is FAR easier to understand, that the equally common one that "anybody who speaks out against illegals, no matter what he says, MUST be a racist"...now THAT one REALLY mystifies me.

Old 08-13-2008, 06:42 PM

3,172 posts, read 5,999,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
I know I can be annoying. I HATE it when I annoy people. Please forgive me. I've thought of going to counseling. Be patient.
Its all good. But I cant help but see you as the Colonel Kurtz to all these savages.

Old 08-13-2008, 06:49 PM

3,712 posts, read 5,714,475 times
Quote:
Its all good. But I cant help but see you as the Colonel Kurtz to all these savages.
We are not the ones living 27 to a trailer and using the yard as a bathroom.

Old 08-13-2008, 06:50 PM

Quote:
I assure you, these people are beyond my control. Forces have been unleashed on this forum that neither I, nor Col. Kurtz, could hope to dampen. All joking aside, the "illegal" situation (as you've heard me say endlessly) is no different from any other social or societal phenomena..it's gone from being a 'victimless crime', years ago, in small, reasonable numbers, when it engendered little public attention or opposition...to a HUGE problem now, with LOTS of attention, and a certain rising tide of anger and disgust. And that's certainly not MY doing....(you overestimate my powers of persuasion..but thanks)..

Old 08-13-2008, 07:01 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,646,709 times
Quote:
Uh, amc760: illegal immigrants are the true 'savages'-------for obvious reasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or