U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 04:47 AM

1,448 posts, read 2,660,455 times

Advertisements

USC study dispels myths about South Carolina's Latino immigrant population

USC study dispells myths about Mexican immigrants
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2008, 08:11 AM

2,065 posts, read 3,176,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Springs Gator View Post

I guess they didn't go to Saluda for their 'study'...

Old 08-13-2008, 10:00 AM

16,092 posts, read 35,802,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
Back when I worked for the Southern California Gas Company reading gas meters, I had to 'walk' all sorts of neighborhoods from very affluent South Pasadena, Arcadia, and San Marino; middle class places like Alhambra, San Gabriel, and Monrovia; and working class neighborhoods like El Sereno, El Monte, and other parts of northeast Los Angeles. And all of Pasadena which ranges across the income spectrum...

I did it for four years.

On my daily routes, I observed that, with some exceptions (of course), that the worst neighborhoods to walk through with the most undesirable conditions such as trash, graffiti, dog poop, oil stains in the street, junk cars, disconnected sewer pipes emptying into the yard, mad dogs, etc. were predominantly Hispanic.

My eyes don't lie. I saw it all the time. Yes, there were parts where the folks had serious pride in their homes, but the rest of the neighborhood...good, God. You'd thought these people didn't give a rat's a55 about anything. I hated those routes!! I couldn't figure it out. I'm a freaking clean freak and I was simply disgusted.

Of course, there were trashy neighborhoods where the majority of the people were white, black, or Asian. But I could count those routes in the low double digits (maybe). The Hispanics, in general, seemed to operate on a different standard. There was no logic to it.

As being half Hispanic, I was/am embarrassed. You could attribute it to poverty. But my Mom (Asian) isn't rich, and I walked relatively poor Asian neighborhoods, and Asian yards were clean...I said clean!!

You can discount my observations but my eyes were wide open. I know what I saw. And because I'm trying to break the damn stereotype, I keep my house cleeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaan!! I mow my own lawn and keep my cars washed and waxed. I vacuum all the time. I pick up trash whenever I see it...even if it isn't mine. Anything broken I fix (or pay someone who knows what they're doing to fix it).

I want no part of that trash BS!!

The disconnected sewer pipe is a new one for me - but it fits the pattern. I have a rental home where the neighbors told me that the illegals across the street got a ladder and pirated off my tenants cable television. They actually went up the light pole and strung it across the street to their home.

Old 08-13-2008, 02:20 PM

136 posts, read 257,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Springs Gator View Post

Only 181 immigrants? Those Latino immigrants who were surveyed are the ones who came here legally not illegally, right? Hmm, maybe that would be the reason for why they're not much of a nuisance.

Why not interview those who came here illegally? Oh never mind, they're not considered for some reason...

Old 08-13-2008, 07:55 PM

3,640 posts, read 4,311,551 times
If they were talking about the legal immigrants all is well but how could anyone call any illegal law abiding is beyond me. I realize that the illegal lovers in here call them law abiding but of course they are not and any person with more than a few brain cells knows that.

Old 08-13-2008, 08:15 PM

3,172 posts, read 5,999,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyPinestra View Post
I guess they didn't go to Saluda for their 'study'...
Maybe because the houses there are too hard to distinguish from the American homes in that area

Old 08-13-2008, 08:57 PM

3,712 posts, read 5,714,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
Maybe because the houses there are too hard to distinguish from the American homes in that area
There are a number of people here who could provide them with a few helpful hints.

Old 05-09-2009, 06:31 PM

13 posts, read 88,972 times
Saluda, NC looks like an overall trashy place anyways.

If they want change why don't they do something by voting and creating some reforms?
It seems like a very, very small city, with the great majority white. According to Wikipedia 97.04% White, 3.83% Hispanic.
I don't see how they would have any problems passing some laws/ordinances.

Old 05-09-2009, 08:44 PM

235 posts, read 251,199 times
Default partially

Quote:
Originally Posted by gortamor View Post
Who is to blame here? It is the corporations, not the immigrants. When will people understand that?

partially true.. but what are the corporations suppose to do when they hand them legitimate looking papers and id's?? when will you understand its not just corporations. its our politicians who cater to them also.. they are allowed to vote and they want their votes.. Not all companies are corporations..What about the people who hire cheap labor for odd jobs or he landscapers who hire them..

illegals video buying phony id's

YouTube - From Georgia - Fraudulent ID for illegal aliens - part 1

illegals using phony id's to collect income tax
Illegal Immigrant Tax Probe Expanding-Phony SS#'s collect tax refunds

illegals using phony id's to collect other services
I-Team: Fake IDs Easy To Get For Immigrants - Baltimore News Story - WBAL Baltimore (http://www.wbaltv.com/news/13784640/detail.html - broken link)

How Many Illegal Aliens Will Vote This Year? | Article from Human Events | HighBeam Research
Help Save Maryland: ILLEGALS GAIN POWER by DELEGATE PAT McDONOUGH

Old 05-09-2009, 08:51 PM

235 posts, read 251,199 times
Default you can't

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Political Junky View Post
If they were talking about the legal immigrants all is well but how could anyone call any illegal law abiding is beyond me. I realize that the illegal lovers in here call them law abiding but of course they are not and any person with more than a few brain cells knows that.

You can't tell.. but with only 5-7% legal out of almost 40 million, its not hard to figure out that the majority are illegals. and the rest of their legal friends and family's have to suffer because of it.. almost always when a raid happens, they are illegals.. They just arrested 25 hispanics at a local 7-11 store who went there every morning for jobs while people would come by and pick them up in their pick up trucks for work for cash of course.. the raid was done and every one of them illegal.. i can provide links for every thing i say.. this country is broke because of them. literally..they are all told to vote democrat and that is why the republicans are a real minority..

How Many Illegal Aliens Will Vote This Year? | Article from Human Events | HighBeam Research
Help Save Maryland: ILLEGALS GAIN POWER by DELEGATE PAT McDONOUGH

Audit: 52K receiving aid lack valid SSN's - Examiner.com (http://www.examiner.com/a-1097830~Audit__52K_receiving_aid_lack_valid_SSN_s. html - broken link)

Firm owner guilty of hiring illegal immigrants • Top Stories (www.HometownAnnapolis.com - The Capital) (http://www.hometownannapolis.com/news/top/2009/04/24-32/Firm-owner-guilty-of-hiring-illegal-immigrants.html - broken link)

illegals using phony id's to collect income tax
Illegal Immigrant Tax Probe Expanding-Phony SS#'s collect tax refunds

illegals using phony id's to collect other services
I-Team: Fake IDs Easy To Get For Immigrants - Baltimore News Story - WBAL Baltimore (http://www.wbaltv.com/news/13784640/detail.html - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or