U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 04-08-2010, 10:50 AM
 
131 posts, read 186,839 times
Reputation: 66

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon Transplant View Post
The media has done a terrible job at explaining Hispanic (Latino) immigration. First they lump illegal and legal immigration together and confuse people with words like undocumented. Then they act like all Hispanics are exactly the same and assume that a Hispanic Immigrant from Buenos Aires who is half Spanish, and half Italian in his ancestry, is the same as a poor uneducated illegal alien who is one hundred percent Indian from Southern Mexico, who may not even speak Spanish.

This is the same as linking Tiger Woods with a dark skinned African Immigrant just off the plane from Nigeria.

Why is the media so ignorant about immigration and race?
What's wrong with lumping them all together?

Like this....if they came from the same general direction, usually south, then lump them together on a bus and dump them on the other side of the border where they can all get together and figure out how they'll get back home.

 
Old 04-08-2010, 02:13 PM
 
Location: SouthCentral Texas
3,855 posts, read 4,099,086 times
Reputation: 957
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
To steve.westberg: Just a little definition of culture from the resident anthropologist....since you seem to be struggling with the concept.

Culture

Culture is a shared, learned, symbolic system of values, beliefs and attitudes that shapes and influences perception and behavior. Culture is learned, aka enculturation. Culture is shared by members of a society. There is no such thing as a culture of one. Culture is patterned. People within a given culture live and think in ways which form definite patterns. Culture is mutually constructed by society through a constant process of social interaction. Culture is symbolic as is language. Culture is arbitrary--it isn't based on natural laws which are external to humans but created by humans according to the inclinations of society. Culture is internalized. It is habitual to those who perform it and the performance of culture is so natural that one is not even aware of performing it.

Perhaps now, you might be able to grasp the concept of American culture and understand the reasoning behind a society that doesn't wish to give it up, especially to unlawful invaders.
Culture

Culture: is a shared, learned, symbolic system of values, beliefs and attitudes that shapes and influences perception and behavior -- an abstract "mental blueprint" or "mental code."
Must be studied "indirectly" by studying behavior, customs, material culture (artifacts, tools, technology), language, etc.
1) Learned. Process of learning one's culture is called enculturation.
2) Shared by the members of a society. No "culture of one."
3) Patterned. People in a society live and think in ways that form definite patterns.

4) Mutually constructed through a constant process of social interaction.
5) Symbolic. Culture, language and thought are based on symbols and symbolic meanings.
6) Arbitrary. Not based on "natural laws" external to humans, but created by humans according to the "whims" of the society. Example: standards of beauty.
7) Internalized. Habitual. Taken-for-granted. Perceived as "natural."

Seems culture is just minor variations is what makes us all humans, American culture is a sub group of the larger New World and Old world /Westren Culture, which is a sub group of Humanity.

Whims of the society...doesnt seem to me to hold importantance in the scheme of things. We share far-far more in common than the slight variations that define us -or devide us. The same is true with the inhabitants of Westren Europe or the rest of the Americas. We are similar in Religious beliefs, if not the same;We have the similar mores in Family, marriage, child rearing, medicine, politics, work, and even the similar styles in art, music, sports,cinema, and comedy.

All that seperates us is slight variations. Whims.

Last edited by 1751texan; 04-08-2010 at 02:40 PM..
 
Old 04-08-2010, 02:24 PM
 
131 posts, read 186,839 times
Reputation: 66
I wish americans would refuse to get roped into issues like the race, language and culture of these illegals.
These are all diversions inserted by mass media meant to sidetrack the issue.

The only issues for me are, cut off the welfare, shutdown that border and begin to prosecute employers of illegals.

As far as what language they speak, that's only a tool to identify that they are illegal, nothing more.
Then you drive them to the border and dump them over the wall and forget about what language they speak.
 
Old 04-08-2010, 02:49 PM
 
Location: ...at a 3AM epiphany
2,206 posts, read 2,144,220 times
Reputation: 453
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWhale View Post
I wish americans would refuse to get roped into issues like the race, language and culture of these illegals.
These are all diversions inserted by mass media meant to sidetrack the issue.

The only issues for me are, cut off the welfare, shutdown that border and begin to prosecute employers of illegals.

As far as what language they speak, that's only a tool to identify that they are illegal, nothing more.
Then you drive them to the border and dump them over the wall and forget about what language they speak.
It is really annoying all of the tactics used by pro-illegal aliens advocates. Race, heritage, the misinterpreted 14th Amendment. It wastes time. I agree, cut off the incentives, prosecute employers and change the Constitution. As they self deport, deport those we catch.
 
Old 04-08-2010, 02:53 PM
 
Location: SouthCentral Texas
3,855 posts, read 4,099,086 times
Reputation: 957
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWhale View Post
I wish americans would refuse to get roped into issues like the race, language and culture of these illegals.
These are all diversions inserted by mass media meant to sidetrack the issue.

The only issues for me are, cut off the welfare, shutdown that border and begin to prosecute employers of illegals.

As far as what language they speak, that's only a tool to identify that they are illegal, nothing more.
Then you drive them to the border and dump them over the wall and forget about what language they speak.
Do you know what title of the thread is?

you want to talk about deportation on this thread?
 
Old 04-08-2010, 03:00 PM
 
131 posts, read 186,839 times
Reputation: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
Do you know what title of the thread is?

you want to talk about deportation on this thread?
Of course I know the title of the thread.
I know everything.

You on the other hand need to read a post more carefully before you come across with these comments.
My reply most definitely was on topic.

As I stated the race of these illegals is incidental, therefore it doesn't matter that people lump them into one group.
 
Old 04-08-2010, 03:29 PM
 
Location: San Diego North County
4,800 posts, read 7,707,438 times
Reputation: 3010
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
Culture

Culture: is a shared, learned, symbolic system of values, beliefs and attitudes that shapes and influences perception and behavior -- an abstract "mental blueprint" or "mental code."
Must be studied "indirectly" by studying behavior, customs, material culture (artifacts, tools, technology), language, etc.
1) Learned. Process of learning one's culture is called enculturation.
2) Shared by the members of a society. No "culture of one."
3) Patterned. People in a society live and think in ways that form definite patterns.

4) Mutually constructed through a constant process of social interaction.
5) Symbolic. Culture, language and thought are based on symbols and symbolic meanings.
6) Arbitrary. Not based on "natural laws" external to humans, but created by humans according to the "whims" of the society. Example: standards of beauty.
7) Internalized. Habitual. Taken-for-granted. Perceived as "natural."

Seems culture is just minor variations is what makes us all humans, American culture is a sub group of the larger New World and Old world /Westren Culture, which is a sub group of Humanity.

Whims of the society...doesnt seem to me to hold importantance in the scheme of things. We share far-far more in common than the slight variations that define us -or devide us. The same is true with the inhabitants of Westren Europe or the rest of the Americas. We are similar in Religious beliefs, if not the same;We have the similar mores in Family, marriage, child rearing, medicine, politics, work, and even the similar styles in art, music, sports,cinema, and comedy.

All that seperates us is slight variations. Whims.
Are you kidding me?

You re-posted the basic Intro to Cultural Anthropology definition (basically what I posted) yet with all of the numerous and complex variations which make up the concept of culture, you focus in on "whim?" (Which does not mean variance btw).

Whim:
(n.) A sudden or capricious idea; a fancy.
(n.) Arbitrary thought or impulse: governed by whim.
(n.) A vertical horse-powered drum used as a hoist in a mine.
Dictionary.com The American Heritage Dictionary

Culture is that complex whole which includes knowledge, belief, art, morals, law, custom, and any other capabilities and habits acquired by man as a member of society" (Tylor 1874).

BTW, that's a pretty strong assumption to blatantly put forth your idea that all Western Europeans and inhabitants of the Americas share the same culture. You're wrong of course, but congrats for having the cajones to make such a statement with no convincing argument to back it up whatsoever.
 
Old 04-08-2010, 03:53 PM
 
131 posts, read 186,839 times
Reputation: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
Are you kidding me?

You re-posted the basic Intro to Cultural Anthropology definition (basically what I posted) yet with all of the numerous and complex variations which make up the concept of culture, you focus in on "whim?" (Which does not mean variance btw).

Whim:
(n.) A sudden or capricious idea; a fancy.
(n.) Arbitrary thought or impulse: governed by whim.
(n.) A vertical horse-powered drum used as a hoist in a mine.
Dictionary.com The American Heritage Dictionary

Culture is that complex whole which includes knowledge, belief, art, morals, law, custom, and any other capabilities and habits acquired by man as a member of society" (Tylor 1874).

BTW, that's a pretty strong assumption to blatantly put forth your idea that all Western Europeans and inhabitants of the Americas share the same culture. You're wrong of course, but congrats for having the cajones to make such a statement with no convincing argument to back it up whatsoever.
Liberals engage in semantics because they have no argument to make.
 
Old 04-13-2010, 01:55 PM
 
487 posts, read 551,346 times
Reputation: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon Transplant View Post
The media has done a terrible job at explaining Hispanic (Latino) immigration. First they lump illegal and legal immigration together and confuse people with words like undocumented. Then they act like all Hispanics are exactly the same and assume that a Hispanic Immigrant from Buenos Aires who is half Spanish, and half Italian in his ancestry, is the same as a poor uneducated illegal alien who is one hundred percent Indian from Southern Mexico, who may not even speak Spanish.

This is the same as linking Tiger Woods with a dark skinned African Immigrant just off the plane from Nigeria.

Why is the media so ignorant about immigration and race?
Why does it bother you so much? It comes across as you not wanting to be associated with Mexican Indians because you view yourself as superior.
 
Old 04-13-2010, 02:47 PM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,185,212 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by dusk99 View Post
Why does it bother you so much? It comes across as you not wanting to be associated with Mexican Indians because you view yourself as superior.
Funny, I didn't see anything in that posters remarks that indicated a superiority complex or that he didn't want to be associated with Mexican Indians. It matters not what the ethnic or racial makeup is of any illegal aliens they have no right to be here and this forum is about illegal immigration, not race or nationality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top