U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 08:01 PM

156 posts, read 111,904 times

Advertisements

And in the meantime, lots of white people are hitting the tanning salons, the beach, or slathering on the self-tanning lotions to get darker. Go figure.

But to the "Anglo" thing...I've noticed that many Latinos refer to Americans as "Anglos." But to me, "Anglo" refers to the British or those of that ancestry. My ancestry is Italian and French and and I don't consider either ancestry as "Anglo," but Latin. I, of course, just consider myself an American of Italian/French descent.

My mom was born and raised in France (immigrated legally) and she really doesn't like being referred to as Anglo because to her that is the English and referring to her as English is a no-no. Of course, the French are insufferable and don't like anyone.

I don't really mind being referred to as "Anglo." It's sure better than "gringo" which I consider insulting, but it just isn't an accurate way to refer to all Americans who are not all of English ancestry IMO.

Old 04-15-2010, 08:22 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,628,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majesticat View Post
And in the meantime, lots of white people are hitting the tanning salons, the beach, or slathering on the self-tanning lotions to get darker. Go figure.

But to the "Anglo" thing...I've noticed that many Latinos refer to Americans as "Anglos." But to me, "Anglo" refers to the British or those of that ancestry. My ancestry is Italian and French and and I don't consider either ancestry as "Anglo," but Latin. I, of course, just consider myself an American of Italian/French descent.

My mom was born and raised in France (immigrated legally) and she really doesn't like being referred to as Anglo because to her that is the English and referring to her as English is a no-no. Of course, the French are insufferable and don't like anyone.

I don't really mind being referred to as "Anglo." It's sure better than "gringo" which I consider insulting, but it just isn't an accurate way to refer to all Americans who are not all of English ancestry IMO.
Here in Arizona an 'Anglo' is any NON Hispanic White person-------even dark skinned Sicilians. I am definitely counted as Anglo due to my Nordic White appearance--------and, I am 1/2 Hungarian and (probably) 1/4 Scots-Irish. The rest of me is mostly English and maybe French.

Old 04-23-2010, 06:37 PM

3,855 posts, read 4,087,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Then said person should go live where the culture they choose to practice is the culture of that country. It isn't like we are asking anyone to give up their native culture at home just an expectation of assimilation to ours out in mainstream. I certainly wouldn't want to live in a country whose culture was incompatible with mine. Life is too short and I would want to feel at home where I live.

There isn't one country on this planet that doesn't have its own dark history so insinuating that the U.S. is undesirable because of its past is nonsense. As I said, if someone doesn't like our culture then they can leave and don't let the door hit them in the behind when they leave.
How is the undocumented aien's culture all that different than yours. Other than small variations your culture mimicks the culture of most aliens from the Amercas to a Tee. Since Mexicans are pointed out as the largest alien group in the US, we can say with asurability, that both cultures dont practice Honor Killings; Both cultures dont practice gentalia mutilations; both dont eat flesh...

So what is the big woop, your culture is yours to practice as you wish. a persons culture should be theirs to practice...without interference.

Old 04-23-2010, 10:48 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,152,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
How is the undocumented aien's culture all that different than yours. Other than small variations your culture mimicks the culture of most aliens from the Amercas to a Tee. Since Mexicans are pointed out as the largest alien group in the US, we can say with asurability, that both cultures dont practice Honor Killings; Both cultures dont practice gentalia mutilations; both dont eat flesh...

So what is the big woop, your culture is yours to practice as you wish. a persons culture should be theirs to practice...without interference.
I couldn't care less about an illegal alien's culture because they aren't supposed to be here anyway. I was referring to legal immigrants or those citizens of this country that don't adopt our culture and langauge as their primary ones out in mainstream America. I do not care if they continue to keep their native cultures alive at home.

It has become apparent to me that since illegal immigration is mostly from south of our border that it is a culture of lawlessness and disrespect. What is even more appalling and shows non-assimilation are those Latino ethnocentric citizens who advocate for these illegals in direct opposition of the laws and country they were born in. That kind of culture is not compatible with ours.

Old 04-24-2010, 08:09 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,628,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
I couldn't care less about an illegal alien's culture because they aren't supposed to be here anyway. I was referring to legal immigrants or those citizens of this country that don't adopt our culture and langauge as their primary ones out in mainstream America. I do not care if they continue to keep their native cultures alive at home.

It has become apparent to me that since illegal immigration is mostly from south of our border that it is a culture of lawlessness and disrespect. What is even more appalling and shows non-assimilation are those Latino ethnocentric citizens who advocate for these illegals in direct opposition of the laws and country they were born in. That kind of culture is not compatible with ours.
Short, sweet and to the point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration