U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-13-2008, 05:28 PM
 
Location: Arizona
2,065 posts, read 3,178,995 times
Reputation: 391

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Again you have personal feelings that skew your judgement on the topic and lead you to a closed mind. No offense to you fastfilm but the illegals you know in LA are not representative of all illegals. What you start to encroach on is a Latino presence issue, because 70% of Mexicans in California were found to be legal.

This is not being pro-anything, what this is, is being open minded and not generalizing people as all bad.
The only reason 70% of Mexicans are legal in California is due to the HUGE number of anchor babies produced there annually.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-13-2008, 05:28 PM
 
7,020 posts, read 9,912,726 times
Reputation: 1094
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfilm View Post
I also think the pro-illegals would feel differently if their own personal SSN's were the ones stolen by illegals; or their own taxes escalated exponentially to pay for services for illegals where they lived, services that we taxpayers never receive (as has happened to me); or they were almost refused hospital care after a severe auto accident because the ER's were full of non-emergency illegals (as has happened to me, with the accident itself caused by an illegal with no drivers' license).

Personal experiences like my own and that of countless other posters here underscore the reality of the problems caused by illegals in this country to those readers who by luck of circumstance might still remain untouched, which is the opposite of the assertion that it doesn't count because it happened to us. It indeed happened to us, and as the numbers of illegals increase will be happening more and more and more to everyone eventually. As was quoted, "yes, they broke the law." Back to topic, I don't have a lot of empathy for wire-cutting shoplifters of close to 1K worth of merchandise either.

I continually marvel: how can anyone be pro-criminal? In Los Angeles where I live, the mindset of illegals is that since they got away with breaking a Federal law, anything goes, no law needs be obeyed, large or small. They have no respect for this country, its citizens or its laws, unlike the entirety of legal immigrants of the past and present.
Therein lies the problem. I am always amazed at how the IA's and their supporters whip out their yardstick and quickly determine that crossing our borders illegally is not a crime because its not a felony. Or that they were brought here as children and they shouldn't be sent back because they "feel like an American".

They have an endless supply of irrational "logic" for "deserving" amnesty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2008, 05:30 PM
 
Location: Denver
9,067 posts, read 15,505,802 times
Reputation: 5288
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyPinestra View Post
The only reason 70% of Mexicans are legal in California is due to the HUGE number of anchor babies produced there annually.
What's your point? This is another topic for debate, people who insist on labeling people. Based on our own laws or interpretation of the laws, US has defined these babies as citizens, not Anchor babies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2008, 05:33 PM
 
3,859 posts, read 9,188,736 times
Reputation: 2728
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Again you have personal feelings that skew your judgement on the topic and lead you to a closed mind. No offense to you fastfilm but the illegals you know in LA are not representative of all illegals. What you start to encroach on is a Latino presence issue, because 70% of Mexicans in California were found to be legal.

This is not being pro-anything, what this is, is being open minded and not generalizing people as all bad. So don't be so quick to label people.


I am afraid it is being pro-illegal. This issue is about as black and white as it gets-there really is no grey. They are ILLEGAL. What is there to be "open-minded" about? They are illegal and broke the law. In order to work they commit ID theft which is fraud.

Sorry but I don't know what being "open-minded" has to do with it. You see nothing wrong with an illegal alien dishwasher with a fake SSN which you described in a prior post. If that is not pro-illegal I don't know what is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2008, 05:33 PM
 
Location: Arizona
2,065 posts, read 3,178,995 times
Reputation: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
What's your point? This is another topic for debate, people who insist on labeling people. Based on our own laws or interpretation of the laws, US has defined these babies as citizens, not Anchor babies.
If not for those births I'd be willing to wager that 70% would be illegal...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2008, 05:35 PM
 
3,859 posts, read 9,188,736 times
Reputation: 2728
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyPinestra View Post
If not for those births I'd be willing to wager that 70% would be illegal...
Agreed -too many of them were granted citizenship because of the disgusting abuse of the 14th amendment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2008, 05:38 PM
 
Location: Denver
9,067 posts, read 15,505,802 times
Reputation: 5288
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolem View Post
[/b]

I am afraid it is being pro-illegal. This issue is about as black and white as it gets-there really is no grey. They are ILLEGAL. What is there to be "open-minded" about? They are illegal and broke the law. In order to work they commit ID theft which is fraud.

Sorry but I don't know what being "open-minded" has to do with it. You see nothing wrong with an illegal alien dishwasher with a fake SSN which you described in a prior post. If that is not pro-illegal I don't know what is.
What I said is that "they did break the law". A law is only as good as it is enforced. It is not being pro-illegal to say that, that is being real. What occurred is to be blamed on multiple parties, government, business, illegals IMO they should all be punished fairly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2008, 05:39 PM
 
Location: Denver
9,067 posts, read 15,505,802 times
Reputation: 5288
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolem View Post
Agreed -too many of them were granted citizenship because of the disgusting abuse of the 14th amendment.
What can we do to those already born here and given citizenship? You want these Americans to grow up being labeled "Anchor baby"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2008, 05:45 PM
 
3,859 posts, read 9,188,736 times
Reputation: 2728
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
What I said is that "they did break the law". A law is only as good as it is enforced. It is not being pro-illegal to say that, that is being real. What occurred is to be blamed on multiple parties, government, business, illegals IMO they should all be punished fairly.
You want illegals punished? But in an earlier post you mentioned why not give them a shot at becoming Americans. How is that punishment?

Also regardless of lax governement, greedy companies, etc. -no one force illegals to come here. They came here of their own free will-knowing it was wrong. Many comitted ID fraud knowing it was illegal. I just don't see how their illegal behavior can be justified.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2008, 05:53 PM
 
Location: Denver
9,067 posts, read 15,505,802 times
Reputation: 5288
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolem View Post
You want illegals punished? But in an earlier post you mentioned why not give them a shot at becoming Americans. How is that punishment?

Also regardless of lax governement, greedy companies, etc. -no one force illegals to come here. They came here of their own free will-knowing it was wrong. Many comitted ID fraud knowing it was illegal. I just don't see how their illegal behavior can be justified.
What is wrong with paying a fine, and get on a path to becoming legal? Then start enforcing the laws. Otherwise exactly what we should have done in 1986.

I am guess your answer will be simply "no thanks", but that is not very convincing IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top