U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 08:40 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,711,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
He and two friends came from Kazakhstan last summer, a year shy of finishing college, to make some money and see the place they had dreamed of since childhood.

The dream turned sour in April when they were arrested for shoplifting. They have spent the last four-plus months in jail, ensnared by a pair of slow-moving bureaucracies -- immigration enforcement and the court system -- with no end in sight.

And yet Mr. Davletov still cherishes the opportunity America provides and wants to return to get his master's degree. If he's deported, that won't be an option.

"This was a great experience," he said. "Ninety percent of the people here were nice to us. The government was not."

Dream trip to America turns nightmarish for Kazakh visitors
Oh cry me a river!! Poor criminals I mean immigrants, they only stole to have a better life, why can't anyone understand them better?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2008, 03:00 AM

1 posts, read 1,161 times
You know i keep on reading all about this and still dont see what is the point of all this. i mean, there is only 16 million us - kazakhs on this planet and all of them are at home at the 9th biggest country in the world, happy and calm. But some even i plan to come and study at USA with hopr that everything goes OK , meet some people, see places. Well i just hope that you might believe that it was all a big misunderstanding. And because of this misunderstanding you start putting issues like " Kazakhs are danger for our society" that just kills me.

Old 12-01-2008, 07:26 AM

8,180 posts, read 11,035,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oljas Rahat View Post
You know i keep on reading all about this and still dont see what is the point of all this. i mean, there is only 16 million us - kazakhs on this planet and all of them are at home at the 9th biggest country in the world, happy and calm. But some even i plan to come and study at USA with hopr that everything goes OK , meet some people, see places. Well i just hope that you might believe that it was all a big misunderstanding. And because of this misunderstanding you start putting issues like " Kazakhs are danger for our society" that just kills me.
You are more then welcome to come to the US legally. I sincerely hope that you will be accepted into a university program that will allow you to do this. You will certainly not have to worry about the locals being mean to you, or suspicious of you.
But I would advise you not to make the same 'misunderstanding' as the young men in the article. By bringing wire cutters to a store with the intent on stealing you will find yourself in jail -- just like the natives if we were to do the same thing.
In short, enjoy your stay -- just don't do anything illegal....just like you would not do anything illegal in Kazakhastan.

Old 12-01-2008, 09:00 AM

20,310 posts, read 18,884,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oljas Rahat View Post
This thread isn't about Kazakhs being bad or dangerous. Its about 2 that came here and were caught stealing. The USA like most countries expects that those who visit respect our laws. Stealing is pretty much against the law in every country. This was not a misunderstanding. This was not a case of cultural differences. This is a case of 2 individuals who tried to steal and were caught. What would happen to them if they were caught in their native land? What would happen to me if I were caught in your native land doing the same thing? Deportation would be my most profound hope..... But I doubt that would be the first thing to happen to me.
In short legal immigrants are welcome. Respect and obey our laws and you will be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration