Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 08:19 AM

7,025 posts, read 11,407,867 times

Advertisements

He and two friends came from Kazakhstan last summer, a year shy of finishing college, to make some money and see the place they had dreamed of since childhood.

The dream turned sour in April when they were arrested for shoplifting. They have spent the last four-plus months in jail, ensnared by a pair of slow-moving bureaucracies -- immigration enforcement and the court system -- with no end in sight.

And yet Mr. Davletov still cherishes the opportunity America provides and wants to return to get his master's degree. If he's deported, that won't be an option.

"This was a great experience," he said. "Ninety percent of the people here were nice to us. The government was not."

Dream trip to America turns nightmarish for Kazakh visitors
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2008, 11:45 AM

638 posts, read 1,848,618 times
Quote:
American citizens likely would have been released that day and told to appear in court. Instead, the three students were taken to the county jail, their $10,000 bail well beyond their means.
That first sentence is implying something false.

Even if was a $10 item, there will still be a bail issue, and if you couldn't make bail, you'd be sitting in jail waiting for a court appearance . . ask any American who has been caught shop-lifting. Also, it wasn't a $10 item pocketed in some act of cleptomania, their theft was just shy of $1000. They were using wire cutters, like they "accidently" stole something?

There was intent.

Grand Theft (grand larceny)
Grand Larceny legal definition of Grand Larceny. Grand Larceny synonyms by the Free Online Law Dictionary.
Grand theft - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
. . the men's J-1 visas set to expire in September

. . the three decided to stay another year, applying for extensions on their visas. Though they had expired visas, the three were still in the United States legally as long as their extension applications were pending.

. . They recently had received a request for more information regarding their visa extensions -- meaning they were still here legally -- but the deadline to respond passed while the students sat in jail.
So they couldn't respond to their Visa extensions because they were in jail, therefore, they became "illegal aliens" because of their criminal activity.

Is that the point of this article?

Quote:
"They don't care about me," Mr. Davletov said. "I could be in here six months, a year, two years. It doesn't matter, because I'm from Kazakhstan."
This is false. Actually, the charges will be dropped, probably with the August 20th trial, so ICE can deport them with an adjucation. The Police Department's opinion is if they remain in America, the charges will "not" be dropped.

Since this is being tried in the media, here's what I think as a juror :

Even if the Visa extention questions were filled out (waiving they had expired because they were in jail), whether they would be allowed to remain here is probably a moot point because of their criminal activity.

If they remain in the country, The Police Department (justice) would rightly pursue charges against them, placing the economic burden upon us. The Police Department (justice) doesn't have to drop the charges. It's doing so, that ICE can deport them, and that's called "a favor". It's also common sense, because once serving the prison time, they will be deported anyway. They should be grateful no criminal charges are being filed against them.

Deport.

Y'know what's really annoying? The slanted bias we have to weed through with the media to get at the facts.

Last edited by r601020; 08-13-2008 at 12:06 PM..

Old 08-13-2008, 11:59 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,559,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r601020 View Post
Y'know what's really annoying? The ****ing **** we have to weed through with the media to get at the facts.
How true! The MSM doesn't want the truth to be told. There is always a "sob" spin to stories involving illegal aliens. They try their best to portray illegals as “victims” of our unfair immigration policies. The fact that these guys are common criminals is totally irrelevant. Rather, we must focus on the injustices being perpetrated against them. It’s pure BS.

Old 08-13-2008, 12:06 PM

7,025 posts, read 11,407,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
How true! The MSM doesn't want the truth to be told. There is always a "sob" spin to stories involving illegal aliens. They try their best to portray illegals as “victims” of our unfair immigration policies. The fact that these guys are common criminals is totally irrelevant. Rather, we must focus on the injustices being perpetrated against them. It’s pure BS.
ITA. Doesn't change the fact that they deliberately overstayed their visas and added insult to injury by shoplifting on top of it. The MSM is starting to sound like a few of the IA huggers on this board, or is it the other way around?

Old 08-13-2008, 12:24 PM

4,803 posts, read 8,748,694 times
Oh cry me a freakin' river.

Deport their thieving butts!

Old 08-13-2008, 12:25 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,425,008 times
I wonder if any of the latino pro-illegal 'regulars' will post a single comment coming to the defense of Kazakh illegal criminals and how we are vilifying every person of Kazakh heritage with our "hate" agenda.....

I hear crickets in the future.....

Old 08-13-2008, 12:35 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,496,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
I wonder if any of the latino pro-illegal 'regulars' will post a single comment coming to the defense of Kazakh illegal criminals and how we are vilifying every person of Kazakh heritage with our "hate" agenda.....

I hear crickets in the future.....
Hrmm don't see any "Kazakhs are a threat to our society" threads.

Also don't see any threads demeaning the Kazakh culture saying they have a dirty/drunkenness or in this case "shoplifting" cell embedded in them.

If I did see those type of threads, I would definitely speak up.

Old 08-13-2008, 12:45 PM

638 posts, read 1,848,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
The MSM is starting to sound like a few of the IA huggers on this board, or is it the other way around?
Hand in hand, but it's difficult to say which one is the egg. I think the media took the propagandist side of illegal aliens from the outset, and you can see this with their lengthy arguments "they help our economy". Bunk!

It's little consolation, but I recognize people are brainwashed. With the sheer quantity of propaganda the media is spewing, I have no qualms in saying we are living in the times of Hitler's Germany and Stalin's Russian. If you're not infected by this plague, you "hear" people regurgitating mantras, when you try to reason with them, like they are the religious blind.

By my own tally a few years ago, based on the states who put forth their numbers, "illegal aliens" cost us $250,000,000,000.00 per year. That other thread supports my thinking with this estimate, stating "all" immigration cost us $350 billion per year. Today, I can only see that number going higher for the cost of illegal aliens, but regardless, some of the damage they've done to our economy is already done. So where was the media reporting on that? Where are they now? Arguing semantics.

The last time I read Time Magazine was when it ran it's propaganda with a cover : "Why Amnesty Makes Sense". Time Magazine voted "Reverend Luis Cortes" as one of the 25 most influential evangelicals in America. What does the Reverend Luis Cortes say, "I'm voting brown".

Luis Cortes, President, Esperanza USA, Host of National Hispanic Prayer Breakfast - IPG Workfile

Journalism, is where?

Old 08-13-2008, 12:47 PM

3,712 posts, read 6,477,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Hrmm don't see any "Kazakhs are a threat to our society" threads.

Also don't see any threads demeaning the Kazakh culture saying they have a dirty/drunkenness or in this case "shoplifting" cell embedded in them.

If I did see those type of threads, I would definitely speak up.
If there were 10 million of them in the US illegally, you would.

Old 08-13-2008, 02:14 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,554,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
If there were 10 million of them in the US illegally, you would.
Excellent point...short, sweet, and true. IF there was a Kazakh version of MEChA, and IF a number politicians were 'kow-towing' to Kazakh groups in order to 'appease' them, and IF anyone having a problem with MILLIONS of unassimilated Kazakhs in American society was forced to constantly defend himself against charges of racism, then you can BET that there would be significant anti-Kazakh sentiment evident throughout American society....not the least of which would be expressed by many pro-illegals, distressed by these 'new' illegals (Kazakhs), because "THAT'S not the kind of illegals we meant, when said we defended them"....I can easily see it now.

Bottom line? Kazakhs are NOT seen as a threat to our society, because there aren't enough of them IN our society to 'threaten' it. Has nothing to do with racism or 'anti'-anything...it has to do with numbers, with assimilation, and with geography.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration