U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 04:34 PM

3,172 posts, read 5,996,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
The desperation of the Dreamie crowd is downright PALPABLE!! Gotta love it!
Wow, you managed to bite Benicar/Jdubsmom and Arizona Bear with one post! Impressive, lol.

What gives you the impression of this desperation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2008, 10:06 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,722,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californio View Post
Do you guys have hispanic surnames? That's odd if you get them if you last name doesn't sound "Hispanicy".

Mine isn't but I get a ton of telemarketer calls in Spanish. Lot's of wrong number calls also. I've even been stopped a number of times and questioned by border patrol.

Then again -- I live on the border which explains the border patrol thing but since it's the USA side, not the telemarketers.

Old 05-26-2009, 10:37 PM

11,501 posts, read 13,036,047 times
Why would there be any lawsuits at all?

They served our country and deserve to require that you speak english.

Just like any business should be able to require you speak English to do business with them.

No speak English, no business period.

It is racist of the business who tell me press 1 for English or 2 for Spanish.

I dont want to hear that in my ear.

Heck some states are now putting Spanish on American road signs which should be stopped right now.

If you cannot read or speak English then you should not be allowed to drive period.

Old 05-27-2009, 06:21 AM

16,886 posts, read 12,543,418 times
I just start speaking italian and always get no answer back.

Old 05-27-2009, 07:24 AM

1,087 posts, read 2,342,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Political Junky View Post
This is interesting, to say the least. I wonder how long before the law suits begin? What do you think? I guess the illegals and their lovers will have a hissy over this.

[SIZE=5]'If you do not speak English, please hang up'[/SIZE]
[SIZE=5]
[/SIZE][SIZE=+1]Telemarketers told to believe in America or don't call[/SIZE]

Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 5642 in Montrose, Pa., has a message for the many telemarketers that call its answering machine: Speak English.
Those who call the post when no one's around to answer the telephone will be greeted by a pleasant, female voice on the answering machine saying, "Hi, you've reached the Montrose VFW, Post 5642. We are an English-speaking, American establishment. If you do not speak English or believe in America, please hang up."
That's so much bull. "if you don't speak English or believe in America.." I never knew Americans would be so dumb as to think that speaking any other language other than English would be ANTI-American......hey guys, Palin had that same line of thoughts and look at her now....she is forgotten somewhere in Alaska....."stupidity will only get you lost in your own dumb thoughts"

Last edited by CLTKing; 05-27-2009 at 07:36 AM..

Old 05-27-2009, 07:28 AM

25,345 posts, read 37,490,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Political Junky View Post
This is interesting, to say the least. I wonder how long before the law suits begin? What do you think? I guess the illegals and their lovers will have a hissy over this.

[SIZE=5]'If you do not speak English, please hang up'
[/SIZE][SIZE=+1]Telemarketers told to believe in America or don't call[/SIZE]

Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 5642 in Montrose, Pa., has a message for the many telemarketers that call its answering machine: Speak English.
Those who call the post when no one's around to answer the telephone will be greeted by a pleasant, female voice on the answering machine saying, "Hi, you've reached the Montrose VFW, Post 5642. We are an English-speaking, American establishment. If you do not speak English or believe in America, please hang up."
What is wrong about that message...aren't we in the United States of America...I'm a foreigner and never expected this country to speak my language but me to speak the language that is spoken over here.

Where ever I travel in Europe I try to communicate in their language which isn't always possible and with English it isn't that much of a problem, but I never expected to call and have them speak another language than their own, or they must be in the business that requires them to speak more than one language...airports, hotels, etc.

Old 05-27-2009, 07:35 AM

8,309 posts, read 33,343,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLTKing View Post
That's so much bull. "if you don't speak English or believe in America.." I never knew Americans would be so dumb as to think that speaking any other language other than English would be ANTI-American......hey guys, Palin had that same line of thoughts and look at her now....she is forgotten somewhere in Alaska...
If you deconstruct the statement in the message - "if you don't speak English or believe in America, please hang up" - you will find that there is not an implied relationship between languages other than English and ANTI-Americanism. The message simply lists two separate conditions that result in a recommendation to hang up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLTKing View Post
"stupidity will only get your(sic) lost in your own dumb thoughts"
- right on.

Old 05-27-2009, 07:35 AM

1,087 posts, read 2,342,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
What is wrong about that message...aren't we in the United States of America...I'm a foreigner and never expected this country to speak my language but me to speak the language that is spoken over here.

Where ever I travel in Europe I try to communicate in their language which isn't always possible and with English it isn't that much of a problem, but I never expected to call and have them speak another language than their own, or they must be in the business that requires them to speak more than one language...airports, hotels, etc.
When you traveled to Europe, every body speaks TWO languages. Their own national tongue, and either French, German or English. And THAT is not NOT consider ANTI-European....it is muticulturism and integration into a prosperous Europe that now rivals the USA.

Old 05-27-2009, 07:51 AM

1,986 posts, read 3,467,232 times
You gotta love how people throw around the term 'xenophobic'. They don't even know what it means.

I personally appreciate the message. A long time ago, I heard that in Quebec, if you don't at least attempt French, they wouldn't talk to you. I liked that. When in Rome... .

Trouble is, too many mexicans don't even care that they don't understand a word of English. They make no attempt because they know we will bow to their needs. THAT MAKES ME SICK.

Since when does the United States have to make accommodations for outsiders? It used to be those who came in from somewhere else would acclimate themselves to our customs and Americanize themselves. Illegal mexicans have no desire to do that.

Old 05-27-2009, 07:57 AM

1,986 posts, read 3,467,232 times
When I call for tech support, or the phone company, or any support line, and get a foreign speaking person on the other end, I'll keep dialing until I get someone from here. If I don't, I will demand they put me through to someone who speaks English. If they say that's impossible, I hang up and find a way to contact corporate to tell them they lost my business.

Someone mentioned free speech. Yes, that recording exercises free speech. Love it !!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or