U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 07:41 AM

569 posts, read 1,465,824 times

Advertisements

How about we cater to Americans for a change?? I am so sick of catering to illegal Mexicans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2009, 08:11 AM

804 posts, read 1,174,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLTKing View Post
That's where you are wrong. The companies that have Spanish in their phone systems are not catering to illegal immigrants. They are catering to all the LEGAL immigrants from Spanish speaking countries that reside in this country. Maybe you don't know this, but many of the kids that fought in the two Iraq wars and Afghanistan are Puerto Ricans and Mexicans. I donít see how having companies marketing in Spanish encourages illegal immigration. Besides, last time that I checked, the American corporate world does not care about your feelings or mine, they only care about fattening up their pockets with money. And if they need to tap on the Spanish speaking market for that, they will. It is not sickening, it is simple economics.
This is not entirely true, I think, as you say they care about fattening their pockets, after all they are a for profit organization. And if their main customer base is Spanish speaking, be it legal, illegal, foreign, its in their best interest to have the phone system in Spanish.

Like you say it's not sickening, repulsive or any other adjective with a bad connotation, but it is rational. It makes business sense.

The same happens when you go to a Chinese restaurant and the menu is in Chinese first and then in English. I tend to be grateful that they put numbers right next to their dishes to minimize the chance of getting something different than what i wanted because of a communication issue.

Old 05-28-2009, 09:04 AM

435 posts, read 536,029 times
Money is green in no matter what language is spoken.

Old 05-28-2009, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violett View Post
The problem that's going to happen over there, as well as over here, is that the number of Muslims and/or Hispanics who do not want adapt to the new culture will eventually inundate that area with people who are like them and turn the countries that they've immigrated to into their old countries. I mean, that's just common sense. If a culture takes over a place, it will eventually take it over completely. Of course, Europeans and Americans are afraid to say and/or admit that, it makes them feel guilty for wanting to stick to what's worked for them.

The question is, how do you have a free society with people who don't want to adapt to have common values, culture and language? Not every culture can have a dominant status, because then all you have is a free-for-all of people demanding that you cater to them at all times.
This is exactly right. When people do not want to adapt in a new country that is nice enough (or just plain stupid as we are) to let them in and instead fight for supremacy there will always be problems and a power struggle. If we did not cater to them at all we would not have this problem. If we do not let them in we would not have this problem.

Old 05-28-2009, 03:07 PM

142 posts, read 192,529 times
What exactly is Americas culture? Is it not a mixture of cultures? There is not "taking over" of the AMerican culture.

Old 05-28-2009, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Corinthians127 View Post
What exactly is Americas culture? Is it not a mixture of cultures? There is not "taking over" of the AMerican culture.
Yes it is a mix but past generations of immigrants were happy to learn English and assimilate into American society. We may have many cultures but this is still American society. The illegals and new wave of immigrants do not want to be part of our society. They want to do things their way and make us do the same. They are only thinking of themselves. It's just not right.

Old 05-28-2009, 05:26 PM

223 posts, read 254,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psouth View Post
Yes it is a mix but past generations of immigrants were happy to learn English and assimilate into American society. We may have many cultures but this is still American society. The illegals and new wave of immigrants do not want to be part of our society. They want to do things their way and make us do the same. They are only thinking of themselves. It's just not right.
I don't know if my family counts as part of the "new wave"(they arrived around the 50s), but we became part of American society while still retaining much of our culture.

Old 05-28-2009, 05:32 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,612,395 times
Quote:
America has no culture. It requires nothing of anyone; it owes a debt to people who show up here. America belongs to the whole world, and no one can make anyone do anything they don't want to, because the Statue of Liberty said so....

Some people in the past felt they had to assimilate. They were wrong, because there's nothing to assimilate TO, because America has no culture, except what we WANT it to have.

I'm slowly learning as I go along....

Old 05-29-2009, 08:37 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,615,542 times
Quote:
The use of the English language
Rule of Law
The sense that we will 'close ranks' of threatened by outsiders (now including illegal aliens)
Democracy
Prosperity (compared to 90% of the world, even most of our 'poor' people are comfortable)
The sense of achieving 'impossible' dreams.

Aside from a common language (Spanish); does Mexico have any of the above traits?

Old 05-29-2009, 09:42 AM

974 posts, read 1,351,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thechicano View Post
I don't know if my family counts as part of the "new wave"(they arrived around the 50s), but we became part of American society while still retaining much of our culture.

And that is awesome Chicano. Although the ones entering now only want to bring mexico to us. If it is so bad there, why do they not try to change and adapt to our way of life?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or