U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 07:04 AM

3,640 posts, read 4,308,847 times

Advertisements

This is interesting, to say the least. I wonder how long before the law suits begin? What do you think? I guess the illegals and their lovers will have a hissy over this.

[SIZE=5]'If you do not speak English, please hang up'
[/SIZE][SIZE=+1]Telemarketers told to believe in America or don't call[/SIZE]

Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 5642 in Montrose, Pa., has a message for the many telemarketers that call its answering machine: Speak English.
Those who call the post when no one's around to answer the telephone will be greeted by a pleasant, female voice on the answering machine saying, "Hi, you've reached the Montrose VFW, Post 5642. We are an English-speaking, American establishment. If you do not speak English or believe in America, please hang up."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2008, 07:31 AM

15,179 posts, read 15,809,199 times
Cute! Of course, the ACLU and La Raza will jump on this with a vengeance. After all, doesn't this discriminate against our "immigrant" population?

Old 08-14-2008, 07:47 AM

47,576 posts, read 58,711,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Political Junky View Post
This is interesting, to say the least. I wonder how long before the law suits begin? What do you think? I guess the illegals and their lovers will have a hissy over this.

[SIZE=5]'If you do not speak English, please hang up'
[/SIZE][SIZE=+1]Telemarketers told to believe in America or don't call[/SIZE]

Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 5642 in Montrose, Pa., has a message for the many telemarketers that call its answering machine: Speak English.
Those who call the post when no one's around to answer the telephone will be greeted by a pleasant, female voice on the answering machine saying, "Hi, you've reached the Montrose VFW, Post 5642. We are an English-speaking, American establishment. If you do not speak English or believe in America, please hang up."
We need more of that. I'm tired of the Spanish telemarketers but the only good thing, I have no problem slamming the phone when I hear them and of course will boycott any product or service that was rude enough to call me in Spanish.

Old 08-14-2008, 11:21 AM

1,417 posts, read 851,725 times
Every time a telemarketer calls in English, I answer in Spanish. Although sometimes, they speak Spanish or transfer me to someone who does, in which I hang up.

Every time a telemarketer calls in Spanish, I speak English and then I'm transferred to someone who does, in which I hang up.

Old 08-14-2008, 11:34 AM

3,325 posts, read 4,693,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californio View Post
Every time a telemarketer calls in English, I answer in Spanish. Although sometimes, they speak Spanish or transfer me to someone who does, in which I hang up.

Every time a telemarketer calls in Spanish, I speak English and then I'm transferred to someone who does, in which I hang up.

Why not just put yourself on no call list. It works.

Old 08-14-2008, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luiso View Post
Why not just put yourself on no call list. It works.
Oh believe me I've tried..

Old 08-14-2008, 11:38 AM
Status: "Make America the Great Joke Again" (set 23 days ago)

9,060 posts, read 15,470,148 times
I never get tele-marketers who speak Spanish.

Old 08-14-2008, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
I never get tele-marketers who speak Spanish.
Do you have a Hispanic surname? If you don't, then you probably won't.

Old 08-14-2008, 12:06 PM
Status: "Make America the Great Joke Again" (set 23 days ago)

9,060 posts, read 15,470,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californio View Post
Do you have a Hispanic surname? If you don't, then you probably won't.
Nope that makes sense, Mexican on my mothers side.

Old 08-14-2008, 12:28 PM

8,575 posts, read 6,085,916 times
some people in the community have called the message "racist" and "unconstitutional?" I think some idiots in the community need to read the constitution and look up the word racist in the dictionary. good god.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or