U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 10:51 AM

4,800 posts, read 7,693,544 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
I have news for you, yes they can. I know someone who was an upstanding citizen, paid their taxes, worked an excellent job & unfortunately, was not a U.S. citizen.
Paid taxes with no Social Security number or ITIN?

Explain to me how that was accomplished. I worked in Human Resources in the sign industry for five years. I KNOW what is needed for employment documentation and verification. Without taxpayer identification, taxes cannot be paid. While an unscrupulous employer could withhold and keep funds, without a taxpayer identification number, no money can go from the so-called taxpayer into the FICA and IRS systems without a number.

While you're explaining the above, perhaps you can explain how a person can be an upstanding citizen while not a citizen.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2008, 10:53 AM

10,479 posts, read 13,514,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
Paid taxes with no Social Security number or ITIN?

Explain to me how that was accomplished. I worked in Human Resources in the sign industry for five years. I KNOW what is needed for employment documentation and verification. Without taxpayer identification, taxes cannot be paid. While an unscrupulous employer could withhold and keep funds, without a taxpayer identification number, no money can go from the so-called taxpayer into the FICA and IRS systems without a number.

While you're explaining the above, perhaps you can explain how a person can be an upstanding citizen while not a citizen.....
Citizen, as in person. I guess maybe they did have a social security card, who knows? I just know that they weren't a U.S. citizen & they worked & paid taxes. This is a fact, why are you arguing w/me about it?

Old 08-15-2008, 10:57 AM

10,543 posts, read 11,688,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achury View Post
So called "illegals" pay taxes yet do not get Social security .
If they think they're getting ripped off, they should leave.

Old 08-15-2008, 10:59 AM

1,861 posts, read 2,969,401 times
They DON'T pay social security taxes without a stolen or made-up social security number. So, fraud is ok, as long as they pay taxes?

It's just another reason why we don't want illegal immigration to continue.

Old 08-15-2008, 10:59 AM

7,922 posts, read 7,623,051 times
I am not an American Citizen. I am a American resident. I went through all the red tape and hoops that i had to jump through to get the privilege to live in the USA. I have respected the American Immigration laws and i pay tax on every dollar i earn here. Where does anyone who is Illegal get the idea that they have any rights whatsoever in the USA. Do they not realise that Illegal means illegal and stop whinging about what they pay or how they are treated. Get to the back of the line and get your residency and then you can complain. Sneaking across the border does not give anyone the right to work, live or have a say in what goes on in America.

Old 08-15-2008, 11:00 AM

35,885 posts, read 65,314,414 times
Quote:
I have news for you, yes they can. I know someone who was an upstanding citizen, paid their taxes, worked an excellent job & unfortunately, was not a U.S. citizen.
Plenty of people are here working and paying taxes and are not citizens. However, they are here on VISAS. They are not illegal, undocumented immigrants. The only way illegals can get a job that requires they show citizenship and pay taxes is to either steal someone else's identity or fake a SS# and name - and hope they don't get caught.

Actually, I personally know two people who have evidently had their SS #s used by illegals. The interesting thing is, the people who ripped off their numbers did NOT use them for any other purposes, i.e. securing credit, etc. They used them to get a job and they had taxes withheld. The problem came in when IRS was matching up stuff and the W-2s did not match up. However, getting it all straightened out was a nightmare for both people, despite the illegals using their numbers in entirely different states (from where the actual holders of the SS numbers lived and worked).

Last edited by brokensky; 08-15-2008 at 11:03 AM.. Reason: add info

Old 08-15-2008, 11:02 AM

10,543 posts, read 11,688,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
I am not an American Citizen. I am a American resident. I went through all the red tape and hoops that i had to jump through to get the privilege to live in the USA. I have respected the American Immigration laws and i pay tax on every dollar i earn here. Where does anyone who is Illegal get the idea that they have any rights whatsoever in the USA. Do they not realise that Illegal means illegal and stop whinging about what they pay or how they are treated. Get to the back of the line and get your residency and then you can complain. Sneaking across the border does not give anyone the right to work, live or have a say in what goes on in America.
Welcome. I commend people like you who follow the process. Unfortunately, the people supporting Illegal immigration forget about how unfair it is to people like you that follow the rules.

Old 08-15-2008, 11:03 AM

4,800 posts, read 7,693,544 times
Quote:
On behalf of my fellow citizens and myself, may I say thank you for respecting and following the laws of our country. People like you have my utmost respect and admiration.

Old 08-15-2008, 11:06 AM

3,859 posts, read 9,177,727 times
Quote:
I agree. Thank you for doing it the right way. What a terrible slap in the face to you and others who have done it the right way. I know it is no consolation-but please know that there are those of us here who appreciate and respect you for doing it the right way. We are angry at those who sneak over the border or overstay a visa while there are many like you who do it the right way.

Old 08-15-2008, 11:07 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,643,200 times
Quote:
Citizen, as in person. I guess maybe they did have a social security card, who knows? I just know that they weren't a U.S. citizen & they worked & paid taxes. This is a fact, why are you arguing w/me about it?
Get your stories straight:

A US citizen is just that: a citizen of the USA----------not Mexico, Canada or any other place.

Besidesl your friend may be a green card holder--------which allows him/her many of the rights of a citizen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration