U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 01:36 PM

3,368 posts, read 10,277,768 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achury View Post
No I long for the day when English is no longer heard in USA and every politician is Hispanic but Mexican in Ca-TX-Az.
I hope you know that your views are not at all representative of the other contributors of this forum who are labeled "pro-illegal." Are you joking or do you actually hope not to hear English spoken in this country? I am fluent in both English and Spanish (and have lived in both Anglophone and Hispanophone countries) and I 100% support English as the de facto language of this country. I would love for more people to learn Spanish, but I do not wish for Spanish to become this country's dominant language to the point that people who only speak English are highly inconvenienced just trying to get by in day-to-day life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2008, 04:57 PM

20,310 posts, read 18,890,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achury View Post
Yes and no shame in that. Thats why amnesty is needed since we have helped build USA with work you would not do .
For the record one more time which jobs and what work might that be?
Drywall?
Roofing?
Masonary?
Construction in general?
NO.... They do the work for wages we won't work for. Not the work we won't do. The savings are in fact not passed on to the consumer. The contractor pockets them.
My house was being built I visited the job sight daily. The mason had some illegals and I threw him off the job. How did I know? Because I asked him and he was bold enough to tell me they were illegals. He was reported and the builder used another mason. Guess what no increase in cost.
I did construction and saw first hand how illegals destroy the competion by lowballing.
No sir they do not take jobs we don't want. They only work cheaper than any sane person is willing to.

Old 08-17-2008, 05:02 PM

3,325 posts, read 4,694,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahSal View Post
I totally agree with your last comment! I'm afraid that many young Americans who previously may have been grateful for minimum+ wage jobs in the fields and orchards, factories and restaurants have become either too spoiled or too lazy, turning their noses up at jobs they believe are beneath them! That has been our company's experience - finding good workers for a good wage has become a futile search. We (a small building company) looked for 2 years to find a carpenter's helper - without *experience* - basically just a pair of hands to no avail.
We had employed Latinos (with document proof) who were *incredibly* hard workers but then we became concerned about the new immigration laws and worried about the extensive verification required for each employee. Plus, because of these new laws, many Latino workers just vanished into the shadows..
I'm sure the movie 'A Day Without Mexicans' has been discussed but that scenario *could* shut down MANY U.S. businesses because good American workers are SO hard to find.. But maybe the deteriorating economic situation in the US will eventually change all that..

Brilliant . Wish you would run for Congress,etc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or