U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 10:23 AM

60,278 posts, read 30,657,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post

Maricopa County voters have a Louisiana-like attitude about Arpaio - they know he's corrupt as corrupt can be but they don't care if a politician is corrupt as long as they are percieved as effective. This is according to the Phoenicians I've talked to.

I see you have been misinformed or are blinded by ignorance!

He, Aprilo has been investigated more than once by the La Raza loving politicians in DC. They have tried numerous times to pry into his ethics and past records.

He is still there... He is elected, not appointed, so the federal government cannot just relieve him of his elected office.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2009, 11:06 AM

12,172 posts, read 15,015,654 times
I did not go to Tucson but, I can tell you, on 8 from San Diego to Gila Bend all traffic had to stop at two Border Patrol Inspection Stations. They asked us if we U.S. citizens.

Old 09-18-2009, 11:21 AM

4,277 posts, read 7,893,105 times
Tinman, do you think the peasants of Michoacan or Oaxaca study the ramifications of Central American illegal immigration to Mexico?

The people who wrote the immigration laws of Mexico are the people of Spanish blood who are in power, not the campesinos in the poor states who illegally immigrate to the US.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Ignorance? When their own country has even more strict regulations and penalties?
They know that it is illegal, they know why it is illegal. They simply do not care either way.
There are many laws to which I can not comprehend why it is a law. I obey none the less. Knowing its illegal is enough for the majority of honest people.

Old 09-18-2009, 02:16 PM

17,449 posts, read 22,975,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Do you have proof of his corruption? Links to support your statement?
You compare Appaio to A known drug user and criminal and to a know mob boss. Please support your claims.
Sheriff Joe Arpaio Maricopa County must go!

Corrupt Sheriff Joe Arpaio Subpoenas Phoenix New Times | The "Break it Down" Blog (the bit about Arpaio having direct ties to Mexican cartels is news to me)

Phoenix News - Breathtaking Abuse of the Constitution - page 1

Hit & Run > Sheriff Joe Arpaio Wants to Know What Websites You've Visited - Reason Magazine

Phoenix News - Dog Day Afternoon -

Just to name a few.

I have friends in Phoenix and they have told me that Arpaio's level of corruption is VERY well known and hardly a secret. Still, enough voters seem to like him (and they're just as well aware of Arpaio's corruption as other Phoenicians).

BTW I bet Gotti, if he were still alive and he'd moved from NYC to Phoenix, would wind up really "doing something" about the "illegal problem" that would make Arpaio look like a "reconquista"! (not that I'd support this any more than I'd support Arpaio). And I think you underestimate how beloved Gotti was in NYC by a HUGE number of people...

Old 09-18-2009, 02:25 PM

17,449 posts, read 22,975,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
He is still there... He is elected, not appointed, so the federal government cannot just relieve him of his elected office.
He can be prosecuted in federal courts and if convicted go to federal prison as many elected politicians who have been convicted of crimes. And if he was in prison he obviously could no longer be sheriff (maybe in Louisiana, but not in AZ)

There is a widespread unconfirmed belief in Arizona that Arpaio has "protectors" in high places who have kept him from facing what's due to him. The only rumored "protector" I've ever heard named is Janet Napolitano, but I have no factual evidence as to this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration