U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 08:22 AM

7,020 posts, read 9,918,757 times

Advertisements

Though a U.S. citizen — delivered at Toms River's Community Medical Center — Pamela has no birth certificate, and so lacks the anchoring piece to her Americanization.

It's not as if her mother hasn't tried: In the past three years, Adrianna Lopez-Lopez has visited the Toms River Vital Statistics registrar 16 times, bringing fresh identity documentation on each $50 cab ride from her home in Lakewood.

During her first visit, within days of Pamela's birth, she presented a Mexican ID made at a "store near a cemetery." This was, of course, not valid. She was told she needed a passport. So she returned with one. She was told she needed proof of address. She came back with a photo debit card and a statement from a bank account she just opened. They were both rejected.

She brought a doctor's bill, a cell-phone bill, a Sprint invoice, immunization records, a consulate matricula card — all denied.

Bureaucratic maze

"I thought with the bank account they would definitely give it to me — that's where they told me to go — but always, "No,' " the 23-year-old single mother, who emigrated illegally from Mexico six years ago and now cleans houses, said last week, Pamela beside her. "After a while, seeing my face so many times, they wouldn't even look at what I brought."

http://www.app.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art...NEWS/808170441

Anchors away . . . . . .

Last edited by JDubsMom; 08-17-2008 at 09:00 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2008, 08:55 AM

35,885 posts, read 65,477,108 times
Link to story did not work when I clicked on it . . . However, why doesn't the woman just write to her state's bureau of vital statistics (or its equivalent) for a copy of her daughter's birth certificate? That is what I had to do in my state (NC).

Old 08-17-2008, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Link to story did not work when I clicked on it . . . However, why doesn't the woman just write to her state's bureau of vital statistics (or its equivalent) for a copy of her daughter's birth certificate? That is what I had to do in my state (NC).
Sorry about that try this one:

Certifying a birth a mother's ordeal | APP.com | Asbury Park Press

In light of the fact that she's here illegally, it wouldn't come as a surprise that she may not be able to read, write or speak English. .

Old 08-17-2008, 09:07 AM

35,885 posts, read 65,477,108 times
Thanx for link! I read the article. The woman feels "jaded" . . . good grief.

Let's say I had sneaked into Germany and given birth there. And I showed up somewhere wanting benefits for my child born on German soil. Do you think someone would say - "Go get a birth certificate" or would they just call the police and have me and my kid dumped at the border?

America has turned into a lunatic asylum.

Old 08-17-2008, 09:26 AM

4,800 posts, read 7,707,438 times
Quote:

Let's say I had sneaked into Germany and given birth there. And I showed up somewhere wanting benefits for my child born on German soil. Do you think someone would say - "Go get a birth certificate" or would they just call the police and have me and my kid dumped at the border?

Indeed.

And the lunatics are running the asylum.....

Old 08-17-2008, 11:03 AM

Quote:

You took the words out of my mouth. I'm going to share the pain by going so far as to say even worse we're beginning to resemble the corrupt, 3rd world cesspool known as Mexico or as I so fondly call it "messy-co."

Old 08-17-2008, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
Indeed.

And the lunatics are running the asylum.....
Truer words Kele . . . . .

Old 08-17-2008, 11:06 AM

47,576 posts, read 58,932,169 times
Quote:
My question: Why isn't this illegal mother deported? Even if the anchor baby is legal -- and it seems there is some question about that because otherwise she'd be able to produce a birth certificate, the mother is still illegal. The child has Mexican citizenship and can attend school in Mexico.

Old 08-17-2008, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
My question: Why isn't this illegal mother deported? Even if the anchor baby is legal -- and it seems there is some question about that because otherwise she'd be able to produce a birth certificate, the mother is still illegal. The child has Mexican citizenship and can attend school in Mexico.
Great minds think alike . . . That was my initial thought. It's mind boggling that the hospital and every other place she showed up didn't turn her in. It appears she provided enough proof and information as to her whereabouts.

The insanity continues . . . . .

Old 08-17-2008, 11:29 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,708,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
No joke there, malamute....................good catch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or