Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 10:16 AM

7,025 posts, read 11,408,610 times

Advertisements

Our Q&A with Carlos Quintanilla, president of Acción America. His immigrant-advocacy group plans a protest at Trinity Medical Center in Carrollton over the arrest of María Martínez, suspected to be an illegal immigrant and accused of submitting a false Social Security number with her job application.

Why the protest?

If you look at almost every major hospital in the Dallas metroplex and almost every single employer, they have opted not to take an aggressive position regarding the same situation as María Martínez faced. Trinity … took it a step further and said: We’re going to file criminal charges and call a detective in Carrollton. They arrest this woman for tampering with government documents. …

Why did they act so aggressive? Was it necessary for them to take the action that they took against this woman? Was she really a threat to public safety, as they have claimed? … [She] simply presented a document that has been presented for 20 or 30 years without any cause, without any problems.
And if we’re to look at most companies, you’d find there’s a significant number that close their eyes and ignore the question of false documents.

Shouldn’t employers abide by the law?

http://oneoldvet.com/?p=7746

Simply because she should have been deported 20 or 30 years ago, should not stop them from disallowing her to remain in this country illegally without consequences.

There are no words for the justification of IA's and the insane advocacy of the race based support that comes with them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2008, 10:51 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Why? They aren't for any other criminals.

Someone brings in an abused baby isn't immune, someone brought in from a domestic abuse situation isn't immune, someone injured as a result of a crime they committed isn't immune, someone in a drunk driving accident isn't immune.

Old 08-17-2008, 10:57 AM

7,025 posts, read 11,408,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Why? They aren't for any other criminals.

Someone brings in an abused baby isn't immune, someone brought in from a domestic abuse situation isn't immune, someone injured as a result of a crime they committed isn't immune, someone in a drunk driving accident isn't immune.
Didn't you get the memo? They're "special" which gives them instant immunity against obeying our laws.

Old 08-17-2008, 05:31 PM

3,326 posts, read 5,340,244 times
Hospitals provide health care they shouldn't be doing the job of immigration .

Hospital's should be safe zones as human being's need health care

Old 08-17-2008, 05:35 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,698,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achury View Post

What a Big Ole Crock of Ca Ca, Achury

If any individual wants and/or needs a Safe Zone . . . DON'T BREAK THE LAWS!

Old 08-17-2008, 06:27 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,258,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by achury View Post
hospitals provide health care they shouldn't be doing the job of immigration .

troll

Old 08-17-2008, 06:28 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,258,323 times
Quote:

Nope - check Immigration status - if they are illegal - make sure they are going to live - then deport them

Old 08-18-2008, 04:26 AM

630 posts, read 1,294,651 times
the state as far as I am concerned shouldn't be in control of any buisiness so this wouldn't be realsitic. Unless the hospitals were owned by the government in which if we had universal health car this would be more realistic.

I live in the central california coast near oxnard and i know that at least 90% of the adult latinos are illegals. I know if they deported all of them our population would durastically decrease...not to mention the car accidents, rapings and murders. Check the paper or google news . Oxnard never misses a week without reporting someone being stabbed . dunno why i mentioned that but there it is anyway.

its a nice thought though, you live around em and you'll see what im talking about. even the liberals in sb are complaining and wondering How did it get this way???

they should know they are the ones who fought on their behalf. You reap what you sew

Old 08-20-2008, 01:19 PM

2 posts, read 2,055 times
Cool My gut feelings ignited by this Carlos guy

In direct response to Mr. Carlos Quintanilla, first of all personally I understand wanting to leave somewhere when conditions beyond ones control are less than desired. I lived in the Soviet Union (on assignment) and have seen the trials and tribulations people go through because of their situation. I felt a full range of emotions for the Russian people at that time. I also knew I was going home one day and even that caused a strange feeling of guilt within me. I personally understood the humanitarian side of the situation then as I do now, with the split families, bad economic conditions, and living under questionable political practices. I was and am sorry for other’s situations that they have no or little control over. I understand too that even with things the way they are here and now the U.S. is still one of the best places to live. We can and should help and we as a nation we do.
Due to our county’s ability to absorb a certain amount of people at a time we have quotas on immigration. By and large Asians, Africans, Europeans abide by these LAWS. Many individuals from south of the border do as well as the quotas are always filled. Speaking realistically, and believe it or not we do live in a real world. People right here right now in Dallas are a bit pressed (thankfully not as hard pressed as other parts of the country) financially. All levels of government want more for services in terms of fees and taxes, schools are crowded, school taxes are going up and do I need to mention gas. Employers are concerned about hiring illegals and making ends meet. There is very little being done politically about stopping the influx of illegals crossing our borders. If you will notice in the prior paragraph the term “illegals” came up several times (and I did notice you did not use the term or any of a number of euphemisms for it.) Let’s look at some of the financial burdens places upon legal residents (African legals, Hispanic legals, European legals, those born here fully legal, Asian legals…): I saw several reliable reports (World Net, CS Monitor, NY Times) saying at least 3 million illegals will come to the U.S. this year alone. Let’s say it is only 2 million just because I don’t want the individual facts to become points of argument. This is 400,000 more cars on the road (1 car per 5). I personally know of 7 accidents in the last year involving friends, co workers or just having come upon the accident and wanting to help. Of those accidents 2, both Hispanic ran. Maybe no insurance, illegal, warrants I don’t know nor will I ever. I just know 2 people (one Hispanic and legal) that had to come out of their pocket for the costs. I do know of one other that ran that was non Hispanic No insurance, Illegal European, warrants? I will never know. One accident couldn’t run, neither was hurt after they rear ended another car but there were questions about legal status and lack of insurance. The other 2 were taken care of within the laws of the State of Texas (insurance/ information exchange…).

147,000 children will enter school in the Dallas ISD next week. Many estimates say that 10% of the school children are here illegally or of illegal parents. This is a national figure and I might guess it is a bit higher here in the Dallas area. For sake of argument let’s say it is only 5%. That is 7300 children that by all measure should not be there.

What you may ask started all of this research and reflection? Well initially it was your letter sir and I got to thinking that you don’t make any distinction between legal or not. Sir there is a very large distinction and I am sure that everyone else can too. Those that are illegal can certainly. Those that are legal from all over the world can. This includes Hispanics many of whom want the illegals to stop. Many are still a little torn because of the fact even though they waited the time it takes to get here legally there may still be a displacement of some family. [/FONT
Let’s look at some very preliminary results concerning the costs of illegals to the average legal:[/
400,000 extra autos hard to distinguish not helpful to the price of gas, added pollution, cost of[/font][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] accidents (and I can’t get a full total here as I can only get in touch with the people I know) well over $8000.

Schools: I pay an extra $125 /year in taxes to cover the 5% illegal population.

I am not sure what it costs me personally and everyone that pays property taxes per year forIllegal hospital care but I will get back to you. I just haven’t had time to figure it up yet

There is also the cost to the legal Hispanic community. I know of at least one business that as of just recently became very skeptical about calling people for a hiring interview just based on traditionally Hispanic last names on the received resume. I will look do some research here to and get back to you. I just got off of the phone with 7 different temporary employment agencies. (Yes I am doing research as I write). 4 of which provide people specifically for various levels within hospitals.
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]2 of them started this week not considering non professionally licensed Hispanics for some of their hospitals. This was per the request of their clients. One young man even mentioned your interview as good part of the reason. I congratulate you sir on your unintended results.
Now let’s examine some current and quite possibly future rhetoric and ideas here:

The first is a personal statement on my part: In no way shape or form should this document, my opinions, or motivations be considered racist. If you will examine this letter you will see that the division comes not with race but legal status.[/
[By your declaration that hospitals are safe zones does not make it so. If I had 5 grams of marijuana in my pocket for personal use (victimless crime) and the only place they could find me was a local Dallas hospital I have little doubt they would arrest me

Fair and equitable treatment of individuals is a must! I agree! Keep in mind people that come to some countries illegally, steal identities (keep in mind there was someone else attached to that social security number) and forge federal documents are uniformly, equitably, and fairly treated in many cases as spies.

I fired my lawn crew earlier this week as I strongly suspected they were using Illegals.

A quick question here: which laws that are victimless can I break? I choose driving really fast on the condition that the roads are empty late at night and smoking lots of pot. I just wonder how that would go over. There are a couple of problems with this though. I used the term victimless which you alluded to and I think that I have shown that there are many victims here concerning the burdens of the illegals. The other part is that I bet the Garland police wouldn’t regard my antics and my declaration of freebee laws with a great deal of respect

I went to your web site the other day and I see that you are very involved in the community and I applaud that. Hispanic youth programs are a good thing! Getting the scourge “cheese heroin” out of the community is one of the most important things facing us today in this area.

One portion of your website got me to thinking and it was the intelligent buying portion and I do think that you are right. In fact it directly lead to the firing this week of my lawn crew. I am still talking to other neighbors to get their support and buy in (no pun intended) to your ideas with just a twist. You are correct legals do have tremendous buying power and that power should be used to affect needed changes.
[/SIZE]

It has become very obvious that we as legals cannot depend on the government to close the borders to all illegals. Some of this will always be with us. There will always be a few Asians; Haitians at one time were getting pretty good at it as were some Cubans. We must live with some when we are so generous as a country. In fact wouldn’t it be great to see little Elian Gonzales swimming up on the shores after he can make his own decisions! What a political statement! But it was actually your idea Carlos that got me thinking really hard about this. If we (legals) do use our clout and don’t go to restaurants that we EVEN SUSPECT illegals work, hire only lawn crews that speak English and we don’t EVEN SUSPECT are illegals. Don’t let people in that we EVEN SUSPECT might be illegal to repair our garage doors. We can take care of things at our level. The legal Hispanics will gain much earned respect. I can get back my $125 bucks a year from the school taxes (foolish me that would never happen) but at least it wouldn’t go up so fast. My grandkids would have less crowded schools; teachers could use my $125 bucks for a much deserved raise.

Let us talk about languages for a minute. Maybe we could start teaching Legal immigrants in our schools English for the first year they are here. Imagine that, and then they could directly compete. We could abolish all of the classes in other languages. We would end up with kids that get out of high school and can speak their native tongues as well as English. It will make them very competitive in today’s small world. Oh don’t try to say that they would be hurt by the year out of school or English is too hard. I was taught the Russian language in a year in Monterey California and then went to be immersed in it. I was completely fluent in 3 months there. This was as an adult when those language things are said to be much harder to learn. One year in school taken out to learn the language will not hurt anyone. O.K. they would be 19 when they graduated but maybe able to get some college scholarships. Wouldn’t that help? Maybe then I could get my $125 bucks back.

Look around folks! We are under a new banner one that does not address race or national origin or religion or anything but legal status. The first step is to get illegals directly out of our (legal) lives. Call companies that send EVEN SUSPECTED ILLEGALS to your house and tell them you won’t use them. Better yet tell them on the phone when you make an appointment to have your carpets cleaned. You are right Carlos it is time to use our political clout and it feels great. I am even going to recruit non illegal lawn crews and farm them out to people that need them after their illegals are gone. I will even pay a few extra bucks to get it done.

I do have some concern that from time to time one of ours (legals) will be hurt by this policy. There will be some collateral damage I understand that, but all of us LEGALS are really getting tired of BEING the collateral damage and paying the bills for those that are not part of our great nation. We pledge to support fully and completely businesses and individuals that are and use legal persons to get the job done! If any legal is ever inadvertently hurt by this they will need to be pointed to other financial opportunities 5 fold because of it. We can make it very difficult for the illegals! Maybe the word will get back that it isn’t worth it. Do not sell a personal car to an illegal or a company that you suspect does. Do not get your lawnmower serviced by anyone you suspect of using illegals. Do not be afraid to ask the manager if you think they are using illegals

Thank you Carlos, I feel better now

Old 08-20-2008, 01:37 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,491,785 times
Quote:

Actually, Achury is right on this one. Federal law mandates that hospitals have to treat illegals who present at the ER, wh/ has bankrupted several hospitals and put many more into severe financial distress.

Also, ER personnel are not to notify anyone about the possible illegal status of people who present themselves to ER.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration