U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 09:44 PM

1,083 posts, read 2,060,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Don't see it happening at all. Mexicans are integrated already in South Florida and NY with others from Latin America. The only place I can see this possibly happening is on the West Coast and Texas, but I highly doubt it as already many Puerto Ricans are in San Diego married to Mexicans. You may way to believe this, but I am telling you it just isn't true, even Cubans who have seemed to win the respect of White Americans are integrating with Mexicans.

You know Mexicans do acculturate, you should not base your entire knowledge of Mexicans on what you know from watching illegals who are from very poor areas of Mexico.

It's really unfortunate that you have not met enough American Mexicans that have acculturated, it seems you have a very bad impression. If you think all Mexicans are happy being low, perhaps you should head to the Mexico forum and see for yourself that all is not that way.
Having lived in Texas for years and now in CA, I'm already seeing some divisions. It has nothing to do with bad impressions. If you're honest about the psychology of what can prevent unification within any race/ethnic group, you know I'm right. It's not unique to Hispanics. In any case, I don't doubt that Mexicans that want to acculturate will do so (They will have a legal right to be here since that's part of the acculturation) but I strongly doubt that as a whole this group will do so at the pace of Cubans, Hispanics, and other Latino groups. This is because more accomodations are being made for this new immigrant and largely Mexican population so they don't have the same incentives to do so. You add the illegal aspect to this (which is larger than any other time in history), it just delays this further as they must create their own underworld community to prevent being discovered. Plus unlike the prior immigrants, the preference for Mexico first and then America second or even third makes this group rather unique.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2008, 07:45 AM

1,861 posts, read 2,968,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prim2007 View Post
Having lived in Texas for years and now in CA, I'm already seeing some divisions. It has nothing to do with bad impressions. If you're honest about the psychology of what can prevent unification within any race/ethnic group, you know I'm right. It's not unique to Hispanics. In any case, I don't doubt that Mexicans that want to acculturate will do so (They will have a legal right to be here since that's part of the acculturation) but I strongly doubt that as a whole this group will do so at the pace of Cubans, Hispanics, and other Latino groups. This is because more accomodations are being made for this new immigrant and largely Mexican population so they don't have the same incentives to do so. You add the illegal aspect to this (which is larger than any other time in history), it just delays this further as they must create their own underworld community to prevent being discovered. Plus unlike the prior immigrants, the preference for Mexico first and then America second or even third makes this group rather unique.
I think what will happen is that we'll have a white/black minority ruling an hispanic majority of lower-class Mexicans. They won't be able to have good positions in government or anywhere else if they are staying in their own groups, not learning English, and coming here illegally.

They may be the majority (if we let illegal immigration continue), but I don't think they will do well and move up in society.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration