Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 09:54 PM

29 posts, read 164,246 times

Advertisements

As an American, I personally feel that the anti-immigrant wave that is sweeping the country is both unfair and immoral. Now before I catch some heat and be labeled a pro-illegal, there are some observations I’d like to share with everyone:

1. Anti-immigrant proponents say “another amnesty would not be good for America”. They fail to explain why and how……
2. If you look at a lot of the “anti-illegal” comments and the people who post them, they are just one-liners, filled with a loathsome dislike for “illegals”. Note the statements are one-liners and lack intelligent debate.
3. On the economy, it's not illegals who are to blame. Illegals are not running the Federal Reserve and the US Chamber of Commerce (nor the banking industry)
4. There are anywhere between 10 to 25 million illegals in the country. This number is not deportable and they cannot even fit in the current justice system facilities (jails) that we have. So the people baying for mass deportations are deluded. One report states that it would take 60,000 flights flying daily to ship everyone back home or cost hundreds of billions of dollars to investigate, arrest, incarcerate, process and ship ALL the illegals.
5. That illegals are “taking jobs” from Americans is not entirely accurate. The top of the crème American jobs are not for the unskilled. They require college degrees and above to fill and therefore are still filled by Americans.
6. E-verify-If implemented tomorrow, over 10 million people will suddenly be without jobs and no way to feed their families or survive. Crime would skyrocket and social upheaval would be rampant. I don’t know of a society that can remain stable with 10 million or more people who suddenly are without a livelihood. Cities like San Antonio, Miami, Houston and LA would experience social upheavals not unlike the LA riots. Washington and the general US public also cannot tolerate a 10%+ national unemployment rate.
7. The US economy is fanned almost 100% by consumerism. That means it depends entirely on you and me's shopping especially for luxuries. The removal of the 10 million plus purchasing power from the economy would wreak havoc and wildly suppress the consumer confidence index.
8. The current housing market crisis-This was caused by over-construction and traditionally high credit requirements. To get rid of excess inventory, the lenders decided to depress the credit requirements and started lending to people with sub-prime credit who eventually defaulted causing the system to crash. The banking industry is also reeling because of the same thing. Legalizing immigrants would actually jumpstart the housing market because many immigrants who are now living underground would come into the economic mainstream (not to mention that they are already in the social mainstream)
9. The US economy’s 3-4% annual growth still generates thousands of “odd jobs” which Americans do not want and will not do (that is why over 90% of all illegals have jobs!)

I could go on……but lets look at the proposed solutions

1. Not all immigrants are the same. Not all are illiterate welfare pushers. Many have families, college degrees, jobs and are daily contributors to the US economy. These are ALREADY integrated in the economy. Legalizing them would not harm the US in anyway.
2. There are immigrants who have been here for too long and have no ties to their home countries.
3 .The argument that an amnesty would cause the immigrants to invite their relatives living in their home countries is not true. A recent poll shows that most immigrants are opposed to this.
4. Legalizing immigrants would actually keep jobs in America because many of them would start businesses, contribute to consumer spending on big ticket items and boost the economy.
5.We can simply institute a fine for violating the law and the millions raised would be used to fund technological advancements are the border, better employer verification and next generation ID cards.

The "hate" we're witnessing has been fueled by recent reports and publications showing that by the year 2050, indigenous whites will not be the majority. This is simply because their birthrate is lower as opposed to that of today's minorities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2008, 09:59 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Illegal immigration is disgusting. If employers really need employees, they should sponsor them but that requires taking some financial responsibility for their immigrants.

Illegal immigration is about nothing but getting unlimited numbers of the cheapest possible workers, it means discriminating against American citizens and bypassing labor and wage laws.

Don't assume that those odd jobs cannot be filled by legally sponsored immigrants or unemployed inner city youths.

Old 07-23-2008, 10:09 PM

1,818 posts, read 3,093,587 times
Jimjames3000 was right on every issue, can people really be that blinded by hate towards a group of people you don't even know? The latter is not going to help the United States, we have enough other problems in this country that is way more important than whether they are illegal or legal and how we can make them so miserable that they self deport.

Old 07-23-2008, 10:22 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassyone View Post
Jimjames3000 was right on every issue, can people really be that blinded by hate towards a group of people you don't even know? The latter is not going to help the United States, we have enough other problems in this country that is way more important than whether they are illegal or legal and how we can make them so miserable that they self deport.
I think you're just worried about not getting enough cheap servants to meet your needs.

If you want immigrants, then bring them over the right way --- sponsor them!

Old 07-23-2008, 10:37 PM

2,568 posts, read 6,750,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
How???????????

Old 07-23-2008, 10:39 PM

1,818 posts, read 3,093,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I think you're just worried about not getting enough cheap servants to meet your needs.

I have never even hired a immigrant, and I don't know where you get the servents bit, I think you might be upset because jimjames3000 wrote a post that tells it like it is here in the U.S.
I don't need to sponsor any, they have knowledge on how to get here.
I will continue to help those that are in Mexico, and we in Arizona are still allowed to give them food and water. It is not a crime.

Old 07-23-2008, 11:00 PM

638 posts, read 1,848,712 times
Lot's of people would like an intelligent discussion on this, but for starters, let's sift through some definitions.

An illegal alien is not an immigrant.

There is no such thing as an "illegal immigrant", or any of the other terms such as "undocumented worker", "undocumented immigrant", etc., which are propaganda, to set a precident that somehow this person who has breached our border has a right to be here.

They don't.

It's a difficult problem to address on many fronts, for starters, because illegal aliens and their supporters believe their own lies.

Thank you for not using that absurd politically correct phrase "immigrant restrictionist", but you are making broad accusations of people being anti-immigrant, and coloring it with "euphoria", unfair", "immoral".

These are opinions. You're entitled to have them, but you are distorting the truth. Again, to definitions . . the problem isn't immigration, it's illegal aliens.

If you want to talk about illegal aliens, I don't think you'll have a shortage of people to discuss this with. But if what you really want is to spew accusations and rally arms to your cause, whatever that is, well . . what's to talk about?

Old 07-23-2008, 11:45 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,753,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r601020 View Post
Lot's of people would like an intelligent discussion on this, but for starters, let's sift through some definitions.

An illegal alien is not an immigrant.

There is no such thing as an "illegal immigrant", or any of the other terms such as "undocumented worker", "undocumented immigrant", etc., which are propaganda, to set a precident that somehow this person who has breached our border has a right to be here.

They don't.

It's a difficult problem to address on many fronts, for starters, because illegal aliens and their supporters believe their own lies.

Thank you for not using that absurd politically correct phrase "immigrant restrictionist", but you are making broad accusations of people being anti-immigrant, and coloring it with "euphoria", unfair", "immoral".

These are opinions. You're entitled to have them, but you are distorting the truth. Again, to definitions . . the problem isn't immigration, it's illegal aliens.

If you want to talk about illegal aliens, I don't think you'll have a shortage of people to discuss this with. But if what you really want is to spew accusations and rally arms to your cause, whatever that is, well . . what's to talk about?
An example of the weak argument.

How is the term "undocumented worker" wrong? How is it propaganda? Its a neutral term. About as neutral as it gets. But its not evil sounding enough, huh?
Are they working? yes.
are they undocumented? yes.
are they immigrants? yes...but illegal immigrants!
yeah..so theyre immigrants who came here illegally.. No! theyre illegal immigrants! Theres a HUGE difference!

But theyre not undocumented workers! It..it doesnt sound bad enough! Aliens is better!

Who cares? They all mean the same thing.

This post was pretty on point, but its not going to sway any opinion. People are going to keep hating, without admitting they are hating, and they are going to be doing it based on hearsay and news reports instead of anything that has directly affected them.

Old 07-24-2008, 12:37 AM

638 posts, read 1,848,712 times
Alien . . is a legal definition of a person's status in this country. There are exceptions, but for blanket purposes of explaining "what's the difference", anyone who is not a citizen of this country, is defined as an alien. Please read Immigration and Naturalization if you have a problem with the language. I didn't make up the verbiage.

This is why people say there is no such thing as an "illegal immigrant", "undocumented worker", "undocumented immigrant", or whatever crap is the flavor of the day.

I do understand you (like the rest of America) are subjected to politicians and a media at large which use this propaganda, so maybe you didn't know. Now you do. To use phrases like "undocumented worker" is like filing a tax return and making up your own definitions for exemptions. Let me know how that works out. Granted, it's been five years since I've read through INS documents, so maybe they use these phrases like this now, then correct me if I'm wrong, and I'll be wiser.

It's not a weak argument, it's an integral part of the discussion. Illegal aliens are not immigrants. If you can't distiguish the difference between alien and immigrant, this isn't really a discussion. The politically correct usually quote Webster's dictionary at this point to define what an "immigrant" is, but that's not Immigration and Naturalization, is it?

Last edited by r601020; 07-24-2008 at 12:57 AM..

Old 07-24-2008, 01:11 AM

2,441 posts, read 7,009,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r601020 View Post
Alien . . is a legal definition of a person's status in this country. There are exceptions, but for blanket purposes of explaining "what's the difference", anyone who is not a citizen of this country, is defined as an alien. Please read Immigration and Naturalization if you have a problem with the language. I didn't make up the verbiage.

This is why people say there is no such thing as an "illegal immigrant", "undocumented worker", "undocumented immigrant", or whatever crap is the flavor of the day.

I understand you are subjected to politicians and a media at large which use this propaganda, so maybe you didn't know this. Okay, now you do. To use phrases like "undocumented worker" is like filing a tax return and making up your own definitions for exemptions. Let me know how that works out.

It's not a weak argument, it's an integral part of the discussion. Illegal aliens are not immigrants. If you can't distiguish the difference between alien and immigrant, this isn't really a discussion. The politically correct usually quote Webster's dictionary at this point to define what an "immigrant" is, but that's not Immigration and Naturalization, is it?
Immigrant is a term that applies to ANYONE who migrates to another country, usually for permanent residence. The term immigrant doesn't somehow imply that the person belongs there. I don't know where you got that from. Adding the term illegal to immigrant implies that a person has migrated to another country illegally.

An undocumented worker is a worker who lacks legal documents to work here. Face it, the majority of illegal immigrant workers in this country are non-violent, honest people who are just here to work. Many of these people don't intentionally cause problems and just want to support their families. I fail to see an issue with that.

If you were born and raised in a foreign country that lacked opportunity, I am sure that you would do everything in your power to try to provide for your family. Unfortunately, for a lot of these people who immigrate illegally to the United States, illegal border crossing is the only answer.

Am I denying that there are SOME illegal immigrants who are violent criminals, drug traffickers, and overall bad people? Absolutely not. However, the vast majority of those people are extremely hard-working, honest people. Not too many people would willingly move hundreds or thousands of miles away from anything they have ever known, face animosity and constant threat of deportation, if there wasn't some benefit.

I fail to see why so many people are against illegal immigration. It seems to me to be a form of masked racism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration