U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2008, 09:34 AM

15,179 posts, read 15,813,362 times

Advertisements

[quote=mkfarnam;4914061]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gortamor View Post
I know that most of them play stupid, but after all of the MSM, Rallies ,protest etc, you can't tell me that they're not aware of what they're getting into. If they're that blind to the laws they're breaking, then why are the "sneaking" over here and then hiding in the shadows?
They're not innocent by a long shot.
Of course they’re not innocent. They know they are breaking our laws, and they come here with the ‘expectation’ of abusing our tax-funded services. I’m sorry, but I have no compassion for illegals. Granted, some are being exploited. Nevertheless, they 'choose' to remain in our country and avail themselves of the myriad freebies, rather than returning home. There is absolutely nothing preventing them from freeing themselves from their self-imposed exploitation.

Illegals may be ‘victims’ in their countries of origin, but they are certainly not victims in this country. The US taxpayers have not authorized our hard-earned money to be squandered on services for illegals. Nor have millions volunteered to relinquish their jobs to illegals, or have their wages depressed. If we want to discuss “victims” let’s consider the US citizens for a change. We are the TRUE (and forgotten) victims of this illegal alien invasion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2008, 09:39 AM

35,885 posts, read 65,265,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gortamor View Post
Still, if the gobment and those behind the throne, wanted to stop this, they could do so. And you would think, with all the homeland security hysteria about Al Queda and terrorist cells, that they would somehow find a way to secure the border. You would think it would have been one of their first priorities.

But the truth is, big business exerts enormous pressure in politics, via legalised bribery, oops that's donations and soft money, and it is in their interest to keep the cheap labour flowing and in their interest to have our anger directed at the immigrants, rather than at themselves.

If you really want to stop illegal immigration, contact your representative and tell them to push for heavy fines and punishments for the corporations that hire and use these people.
Agree - I think businesses should be SHUT DOWN if they are found to have hired illegals (and as we have seen here in the South - some businesses have actually RECRUITED illegals - to work in such places as meat processing plants).

The startling facts are: the US Chamber of Commerce has been one of the biggest proponents of worker programs, amnesty, etc. And why? You know why! Cheap labor! And our DO NOTHING Congress likes getting the Chamber's campaign donations.

So you have hit on many good points. Why we don't have border security is beyond ludicrous. But no use beating that horse - Lou Dobbs has highlighted this situation for several years now and still no one is doing a thing to really address the problems.

You are right - get your congressional reps off their duffs. And get ICE and Homeland Security to really DO SOMETHING about employers who have encouraged illegals to sneak into our country. At least that would be a start.

Old 08-19-2008, 09:41 AM

3,859 posts, read 9,172,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
while i certainly agree with what you're saying, if you stop and consider that the "you" in 'what's in it for me'? Is a typical contemporary american businessman...who views himself as a 'citizen of the world', and who sees his us 'headquarters' in terms of only a 'flag of convenience' as he pursues his aims throughout the world...then, unfortunately, it may be that there are a lot of advantages in the nau for "us"...(the "us" of american big business...epitomized in many ways by the current administration).

If you take the position of "what's good for america is good for big business (and, coincidentally, it also happens to be good for me"), then i can see a temptation to go for the 'lean, mean, hungry' work force....willing, compliant, and docile. These people are found today mostly in poor third-world countries. What better business decision could there be than to open the doors to the free movement of 'hungry' workers from which the employer can 'pick and choose'?

To call this 'shortsighted' is an understatement. You wonder, 'don't these businessmen have kids and grandkids...and won't they have to inherit the society we're now creating'? Of course!...but this wouldn't be the first selfish business decision ever made, for short-term temporary gain at the expense of the general public.

American business has a history of pretty much doing what they can 'get away with', until such time as 'we' (the people) step in and enact legislation to stop them. So far, i see the nau as just one more attempt by big business to 'get away' with something....and so far, the rest of us haven't 'stepped in' to do anything about it.

the long-term effect of any 'nau'-type move would be to decimate or destroy the middle class. Bad news if you're a middle-class american..or canadian. (not so bad for mexico, as it doesn't have much ofr a middle class.) but for "big business", it's a dream come true....the 'movers and shakers' of big business are not 'middle class'. And for the poor of mexico, almost anything is worth a try. So the nau will be a good thing, or a bad thing, depending on who you are.. (hint..for me, it will be bad).

Absolutely-great post. The NAU would be the final nail in the coffin of the middle class. A huge win for big business, uber-wealthy and also the very poor from Mexico as they could come and go as they please-even more than some of them currently do.

Old 08-21-2008, 03:56 PM

54 posts, read 36,194 times
Default Illegal neighbors

My mom was one time in a clinic in Southern California waiting on my sick grandmother. A mexican lady sitting next to her was laughing all the while and talking poorly about the USA..my mom asked her why she is here then..and the lady replied " Oh, because I need the healthcare and food..but I just come up here when I need that.".
This is ALL too typical. I'm enraged when I see these types of housewives with 5 kids and a husband who is working under the table. I must question myself on how they are able to afford this..and the answer is simple. It isn't exclusive to just mexicans either..I have seen COUNTLESS amounts of SOmali's in the east coast coming here and living off of our tax money. WHY IS THIS LEGAL? WHy are people allowed to come here and do this? What a wimpy country we are. Where are the leaders with some backbone????

Old 08-21-2008, 04:08 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,813,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bombay637 View Post
My mom was one time in a clinic in Southern California waiting on my sick grandmother. A mexican lady sitting next to her was laughing all the while and talking poorly about the USA..my mom asked her why she is here then..and the lady replied " Oh, because I need the healthcare and food..but I just come up here when I need that.".
This is ALL too typical. I'm enraged when I see these types of housewives with 5 kids and a husband who is working under the table. I must question myself on how they are able to afford this..and the answer is simple. It isn't exclusive to just mexicans either..I have seen COUNTLESS amounts of SOmali's in the east coast coming here and living off of our tax money. WHY IS THIS LEGAL? WHy are people allowed to come here and do this? What a wimpy country we are. Where are the leaders with some backbone????
Our truckling government bows to the demands of the greedy corporate elite. As long as they demand a steady flow of illegal 'slave' labor, the government will oblige. The most infuriating aspect of this abuse is that WE, the taxpayers, are forced to pay for it, while they reap the benefits.

Old 08-21-2008, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Our truckling government bows to the demands of the greedy corporate elite. As long as they demand a steady flow of illegal 'slave' labor, the government will oblige. The most infuriating aspect of this abuse is that WE, the taxpayers, are forced to pay for it, while they reap the benefits.
I wonder if we are the only country that allows ourselves to be trampled on like this. BTW I am a citizen and was homeless at 17 and denied ANY help...while I saw HOARDS of Africans coming in and out of the government building with their section 8, food stamps, and free healthcare...all when they were driving expeditions?!! This is why I stand even STRONGER on this immgration issue. I had to work two jobs and live at a shelter and struggle to graduate...but thank goodness I did.

Old 08-21-2008, 04:16 PM

7,020 posts, read 9,897,260 times
Quote:
I wonder if we are the only country that allows ourselves to be trampled on like this. BTW I am a citizen and was homeless at 17 and denied ANY help...while I saw HOARDS of Africans coming in and out of the government building with their section 8, food stamps, and free healthcare...all when they were driving expeditions?!! This is why I stand even STRONGER on this immgration issue. I had to work two jobs and live at a shelter and struggle to graduate...but thank goodness I did.
I am so sorry that you had to endured that. Actually, I'm angry after reading that. What you went through is a prime example of our citizens falling through the cracks while our stupid government goes out of their way to appease the demands of illegal aliens and aiding foreign enemies.

God bless you. You are an awesome American and you make me proud!

Old 08-21-2008, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
I am so sorry that you had to endured that. Actually, I'm angry after reading that. What you went through is a prime example of our citizens falling through the cracks while our stupid government goes out of their way to appease the demands of illegal aliens and aiding foreign enemies.

God bless you. You are an awesome American and you make me proud!
Thank you. I am SOOOO glad to see someone as active as you bringing the light to these issues. Now if we could only get you to run for President! .
I try not to be a bitter person..but it's kind of hard when you are dealing with things as warped as that. I would love for immigration to stop altogether...or for us to be like Australia...you don't get in unless you have a skill that they need.

Old 08-21-2008, 08:14 PM

3,172 posts, read 5,995,777 times
Quote:
I call BS.

Old 08-21-2008, 09:03 PM

8,180 posts, read 11,035,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
I call BS.
Yeah, I agree with you on that one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or