U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2008, 04:22 AM

28 posts, read 102,243 times

Advertisements

Look on the bright side.. we are all just getting well rounded
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2008, 07:07 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,615,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinolala View Post
Nothing wrong with being bilingual. It surely doesn't hurt and makes traveling to Mexico on vacation much easier.
I my particular case; I visited Mexico once and if I ever see that country again------------it will be too soon. Drove down to Tijuana back in 1980; had a very creepy feeling and hightailed it out of there without stopping. Not thank you.

Old 09-26-2008, 07:08 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,615,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizwidi View Post
Point taken: the cold reality is that outside of most of Latin America and Spain; Spanish is not widely spoken---------------English, OTOH, is the lingua franca of the world.

Old 09-26-2008, 10:14 AM

4,800 posts, read 7,687,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizwidi View Post
I spent time this summer in Italy, France, Switzerland, and Belgium. There was not even a gas station, a hotel, or the European equivalent of a 7-11, let alone major city, where people did not speak English. I barely had the opportunity to use my college French and even then, people would smile and answer me in English!

English is the lingua franca of business, of commerce, and apparently, of most of the industrialized world.

I'm glad that I know two languages other than English, but it is more for intellectual enrichment, and not because of need.

If they expect to get on the economic bandwagon, it would behoove Mexico and its people to learn to speak English. In a few years, it will be much more necessary for navigating the world than Spanish.

Old 09-27-2008, 12:04 AM

2,141 posts, read 7,036,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
I my particular case; I visited Mexico once and if I ever see that country again------------it will be too soon. Drove down to Tijuana back in 1980; had a very creepy feeling and hightailed it out of there without stopping. Not thank you.
The beach resorts are quite awesome. I've been to Hualtuco, Cancun, Puerto Vallarta (my favoite ) and Acapulco. All awesome vacation destinations. I've also been to Nogales and Tijuana. They are definitely not vacation destinations unless you need cheap dental care or prescription medicines or like the seedy side. I always buy some antibiotics when I go to Mexico. Whenever I get a cold or sinus infection, my doctor prescribes that Z-Pack. They are so much cheaper in Mexico! And the prices on silver, onyx and handmade wool blankets can't be beat.

Old 09-27-2008, 09:57 AM

25,107 posts, read 34,361,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
My wife and I travel extensively throughout Mexico quite often - and we love it.

The road south from TJ is actually quite good - and TJ itself is a hoot!

You should really try it again -

Old 09-29-2008, 12:28 PM

499 posts, read 1,371,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
If they expect to get on the economic bandwagon, it would behoove Mexico and its people to learn to speak English. In a few years, it will be much more necessary for navigating the world than Spanish.
Actually alot of people in Mexico DO speak English. But these are the ruling class ($$$) and middle class which is a small part of Mexican society. What we get here in the U.S. are the poor, uneducated, low-skilled, or unskilled illegal immigrants that won't or can't learn a second language. Sorry people, but the average Mexican immigrant is illegal and not the cream of the crop of Mexican society!

Only their second generation anchor babies will learn some English, but with so many services being offered in Spanish and so many Spanish media outlets available in the U.S. the parents will continue to speak Spanish at home and while conducting business outside the home. And with Mexican macho male chauvinism being imported also, alot of women stay home and don't get educated and never learn English. Or if they do work, they go to their mostly illegal alien factories or family owned stores/restaurants and are not expected or encouraged to learn English.

I've seen it first hand folks. I'm not ranting w/o some experience with this. I dated an immigrant Honduran lady for about 9 months. She lived with her sisters' family. Her Mexican brother-in-law ran his house like this. I also saw it with many others while working at the largest meat packing plant in the world in Tar Heel, NC.

Old 04-06-2009, 02:08 PM

9 posts, read 13,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Psst - I already speak 4+ languages, and not one of them is Spanish. How's that for "different"?

So in your world, the only two languages to learn are English and Spanish? I think you're missing the point - he didn't say to learn "different" languages, he specifically said to learn Spanish. I too call foul on that.

Just like in canada is encourage to learn french because of a big minority that was there before the English canadians it shouldn't be a problem to encourage learning spanish in the United States.

Old 04-06-2009, 02:11 PM

8,180 posts, read 11,033,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEFF19 View Post
Just like in canada is encourage to learn french because of a big minority that was there before the English canadians it shouldn't be a problem to encourage learning spanish in the United States.
And how is that working for the Canadians? It is my understanding that Quebec would like to become independent from Canada. Apparently having two languages is not quite so unifying, is it?

Old 04-06-2009, 02:30 PM

1,636 posts, read 2,898,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
And how is that working for the Canadians? It is my understanding that Quebec would like to become independent from Canada. Apparently having two languages is not quite so unifying, is it?
At one point, a large part of the United States wanted to become independent, and they STILL wave their flags around(ps..im not talking about the southwest, and the flag isn't that of Mexico).

But the U.S. seems to be doing fine, and so does Canada.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or