U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-07-2009, 11:27 AM
 
3,536 posts, read 5,112,249 times
Reputation: 822

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
I see. So in the South 60 years ago, when whites lynched blacks, it wasn't due to racism or hate, but rather caused by 'excessive sense of group interests'. Whites didn't kill blacks because they HATED them....they killed them because they didn't see blacks as being 'beneficial' to white interests,

Gotcha....
Actually that's somewhat correct. Most of the whites that lynched Blacks were lower middle to lower class. They say Blacks as taking jobs, creating crime, and a threat to their overall way of living. They were also killed because they (the poor Whites), needed a way to reaffirm prestige. They were the second lowest segment of society, thus they needed to prove they were somehow better than another group. They were not beneficial to white interests. Systematic hate has a motive, it's not completely random.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-07-2009, 11:30 AM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,842,000 times
Reputation: 3787
Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
Actually that's somewhat correct. Most of the whites that lynched Blacks were lower middle to lower class. They say Blacks as taking jobs, creating crime, and a threat to their overall way of living. They were also killed because they (the poor Whites), needed a way to reaffirm prestige. They were the second lowest segment of society, thus they needed to prove they were somehow better than another group. They were not beneficial to white interests. Systematic hate has a motive, it's not completely random.
Yet the sick irony is probably for every Black murdered by a White lynch mob--------many more Blacks were killed by members of their own race.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-07-2009, 11:35 AM
 
3,536 posts, read 5,112,249 times
Reputation: 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Yet the sick irony is probably for every Black murdered by a White lynch mob--------many more Blacks were killed by members of their own race.
Not during the time period everyone else was speaking about...no.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-07-2009, 11:35 AM
 
8,973 posts, read 14,703,846 times
Reputation: 2983
Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
Actually that's somewhat correct. Most of the whites that lynched Blacks were lower middle to lower class. They say Blacks as taking jobs, creating crime, and a threat to their overall way of living. They were also killed because they (the poor Whites), needed a way to reaffirm prestige. They were the second lowest segment of society, thus they needed to prove they were somehow better than another group. They were not beneficial to white interests. Systematic hate has a motive, it's not completely random.
I completely agree with your summary of the situation, AND with your conclusion...but I also see enormous opportunity for much MORE 'systematic hate' under a system of multiculturalistic "equivalence" than I see a likelihood of LESS. In fact, I'd say it's one hallmark of 'cultures' of all kinds, that 'one man's "threat" is another man's "lifestyle".....and I don't see this going away any time soon. Cultural literacy would at LEAST reduce this unfortunate reality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-07-2009, 11:50 AM
 
3,536 posts, read 5,112,249 times
Reputation: 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
I completely agree with your summary of the situation, AND with your conclusion...but I also see enormous opportunity for much MORE 'systematic hate' under a system of multiculturalistic "equivalence" than I see a likelihood of LESS. In fact, I'd say it's one hallmark of 'cultures' of all kinds, that 'one man's "threat" is another man's "lifestyle".....and I don't see this going away any time soon. Cultural literacy would at LEAST reduce this unfortunate reality.
It is somewhat diminishing in the United States. Systematic hate occurs when the underlying problems are not addressed. Hitler for example did not address the actual problems of the Wiemer Republic (he did, but within the context of Jews did this to us). The tragedy of Bosnia and Kosovo did not address Yugoslavia's problems related to the fall of the Soviet Union. The poor Whites did not address the dimishing value of mom and pop farms and the rapid rise of massive commercial farms. See, it's not the people themselves that they are mad at. They are mad at their respective current status quos and need a way to displace their anger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-07-2009, 01:07 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles, CA
1,636 posts, read 2,916,326 times
Reputation: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
60 years ago: White Jews were not allowed to live in certain areas so social/legal discrimination/prejudice was not just directed against Americans with darker skin.

And; such nonsense was not just a US thing............there was discrimination in many places.

Little side note: supposedly it is illegal for a White person to receive citizenship in Liberia-------------that reeks of bald faced racism.
What the hell does any of that have to do with my claim that our society is becoming more integrated than ever?

Last edited by antialphabet; 04-07-2009 at 01:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-07-2009, 01:46 PM
 
8,973 posts, read 14,703,846 times
Reputation: 2983
Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
It is somewhat diminishing in the United States. Systematic hate occurs when the underlying problems are not addressed. Hitler for example did not address the actual problems of the Wiemer Republic (he did, but within the context of Jews did this to us). The tragedy of Bosnia and Kosovo did not address Yugoslavia's problems related to the fall of the Soviet Union. The poor Whites did not address the dimishing value of mom and pop farms and the rapid rise of massive commercial farms. See, it's not the people themselves that they are mad at. They are mad at their respective current status quos and need a way to displace their anger.
Not "the people themselves they are mad at", you say....indeed. Probably there's SOME degree of truth in your observation; but I doubt whether this would be of much comfort in each specific, individual case, if YOU were the person who got lynched...or beaten...or raped....or shot at...or whose home was torched. In such a case, it MIGHT seem very much like "they" WERE mad at you; and the fact that it was "nothing personal" may not convince you otherwise. To YOU, the whole thing may seem VERY personal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-07-2009, 03:17 PM
 
3,536 posts, read 5,112,249 times
Reputation: 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Not "the people themselves they are mad at", you say....indeed. Probably there's SOME degree of truth in your observation; but I doubt whether this would be of much comfort in each specific, individual case, if YOU were the person who got lynched...or beaten...or raped....or shot at...or whose home was torched. In such a case, it MIGHT seem very much like "they" WERE mad at you; and the fact that it was "nothing personal" may not convince you otherwise. To YOU, the whole thing may seem VERY personal.
Exactly. The individual person being persecuted obiviously does not want platitudes of why they are being persecuted. However, there are underlying reasons why they are mad at you...meaning that it's nothing you did personally, but what you personally stand for in the mind of those doing the lynching. So for example, during the LA riots many Koreans expressed a sense of betrayal since they felt they were accepted by the members of the community. However, they symbolized the mounting social stressors in South Central (the loss of blue collar work and the overall huge income inequality as compared to the rest of the city). Koreans, being middlemen, check out middlemen minority theory, were the victim based on their role of South Central society.

This does not condone those actions. If multiculturalism is to work, racial and cultural stratification should cease to exist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-07-2009, 03:44 PM
 
3,536 posts, read 5,112,249 times
Reputation: 822
Going back to the whole thread...KMEX (Univision Los Angeles) is the nations #1 station in terms of overall viewership (beating out KABC, KTTV (Fox Los Angeles), and well any other station). Univision is ranked high with youth ages 18-34. So it seems multiculturalism can work. According to many media analysts, the trend is towards more non-American cultures in TV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-07-2009, 05:00 PM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,842,000 times
Reputation: 3787
Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
Going back to the whole thread...KMEX (Univision Los Angeles) is the nations #1 station in terms of overall viewership (beating out KABC, KTTV (Fox Los Angeles), and well any other station). Univision is ranked high with youth ages 18-34. So it seems multiculturalism can work. According to many media analysts, the trend is towards more non-American cultures in TV.
Multiculturalism=Balkanization.

One unifier here in the USA is the English language.

Again: it is past time to reimpose immigration laws similar to those of ca. 1920 (eliminating the race/ethnic discrimination aspects).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top