Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 12:49 PM

2,732 posts, read 6,764,871 times

Advertisements

He never said that....
I dont Obama NEEDS to tell me what my childern NEED to learn.
I hope this Empty Suit doesnt get elected.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2008, 01:06 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,667,463 times
It would be great if more children were raised to speak English and Spanish. However, there is absolutely no need for children to learn Spanish because we live in an Anglophone nation and the de facto language of commerce in the world is English. Spanish is a beautiful language - I speak it and love it! - but only English is necessary in this country. I grew up in one of the most heavily Spanish-speaking regions in the Anglophone world (South Florida) and lots of kids I know with Spanish-speaking parents/grandparents cannot speak Spanish well - they speak English everywhere they go and know that Spanish is almost never required save for a small percentage of jobs and international travel.

Old 08-18-2008, 01:10 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,415,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
Pssst, good for you, give yourself a pat on the back. Now, maybe you want to think this through & learn spanish. After all, there is quite a huge population that speaks that language, maybe you'll get some use out of it?
Psst, how about if you stop focusing on my specific case, and actually address the point that I made? Oh that's right, you can't.

Old 08-18-2008, 01:11 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,560,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Psst, how about if you stop focusing on my specific case, and actually address the point that I made? Oh that's right, you can't.
Can you read? I did address your post.

Old 08-18-2008, 01:12 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,415,942 times
Quote:
Can you read? I did address your post.
Do you know the difference between a post, and a point? If not, then you are really in the wrong place to attempt a debate with anyone.

Old 08-18-2008, 01:29 PM

350 posts, read 653,496 times
This is the full quote:

"I agree that immigrants should learn English," Obama said. "But instead of worrying about whether immigrants can learn English — they'll learn English — you need to make sure your child can speak Spanish. You should be thinking about how can your child become bilingual. We should have every child speaking more than one language."

And his further explanation:

"...I said, absolutely immigrants need to learn English, but we also need to learn foreign languages," the likely Democratic nominee said as the 1,000-plus crowd in a school gymnasium cheered. It's a position he long has held.
"This is an example of some of the problems we get into when somebody attacks you for saying the truth, which is: We should want our children with more knowledge. We should want our children to have more skills. There's nothing wrong with that. That's a good thing. I know, because I don't speak a foreign language. It's embarrassing," Obama said chuckling as his audience did the same.

http://www.time.com/time/politics/ar...822015,00.html

Old 08-18-2008, 01:43 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,634,639 times
Then he should have said 'foreign languages' and not specifically Spanish.
Also, when he made this comment -- where and to whom was he giving saying this to? This would help to clarify his motivation behind the words he chose to use.

Old 08-18-2008, 01:53 PM

350 posts, read 653,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Then he should have said 'foreign languages' and not specifically Spanish.
Also, when he made this comment -- where and to whom was he giving saying this to? This would help to clarify his motivation behind the words he chose to use.
I do agree it would have been better if he had said 'foreign languages'.

He made the comment on July 8th in Georgia when answering a question on education.

Old 08-18-2008, 01:57 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,560,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Do you know the difference between a post, and a point? If not, then you are really in the wrong place to attempt a debate with anyone.
I see, so because you don't agree w/ my post, you think I didn't make a point. If you re-read it, you would see that I did. My point? Great that you're fluent in 4 languages, however spanish is not one of them. Because of the high number of spanish speakers not only here but in other countries, it seems to me that it would be beneficial to learn the language. It's called "adapting"....as other countries around the world require english as a second language in school, it would benefit our country to require spanish as a second language. Do you understand now?

Old 08-18-2008, 02:05 PM

2,065 posts, read 3,592,989 times
Quote:
I see, so because you don't agree w/ my post, you think I didn't make a point. If you re-read it, you would see that I did. My point? Great that you're fluent in 4 languages, however spanish is not one of them. Because of the high number of spanish speakers not only here but in other countries, it seems to me that it would be beneficial to learn the language. It's called "adapting"....as other countries around the world require english as a second language in school, it would benefit our country to require spanish as a second language. Do you understand now?
If US schools were going to REQUIRE a specific second language, wouldn't it be better to require the language spoken by the largest amount of people worldwide?

Mandarin Chinese?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration