U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 02:10 PM

7,020 posts, read 9,897,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyPinestra View Post
If US schools were going to REQUIRE a specific second language, wouldn't it be better to require the language spoken by the largest amount of people worldwide?

Mandarin Chinese?
After all of the grief brought upon the US by those whose only/main language is spanish, there would be a civil war in protest if any of those turds masquerading as our representatives made that speaking/learning spanish mandatory. Whereas, it didn't bother me before this invasion, the sound of it makes my ears bleed now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2008, 02:10 PM

8,180 posts, read 11,035,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
I see, so because you don't agree w/ my post, you think I didn't make a point. If you re-read it, you would see that I did. My point? Great that you're fluent in 4 languages, however spanish is not one of them. Because of the high number of spanish speakers not only here but in other countries, it seems to me that it would be beneficial to learn the language. It's called "adapting"....as other countries around the world require english as a second language in school, it would benefit our country to require spanish as a second language. Do you understand now?
So English speakers need to adapt to Spanish speakers? In our own country? Why? If I moved to Hondorus, I would learn Spanish. Why is it so hard a concept (or worse, make it seem racist) to expect immigrants from SOB to learn English? We make no provisions for other immigrants...they learn English or they will have a hard time at the self check out line at the grocery store (which currently is available in English and Spanish). Immigrants from Africa are expected to learn a new language because Home Depot only has signs in English and Spanish. What makes Spanish speaking immigrants more priviledged then other non Spanish speaking immigrants? Well, except the activists?

Old 08-18-2008, 02:12 PM

349 posts, read 573,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyPinestra View Post
If US schools were going to REQUIRE a specific second language, wouldn't it be better to require the language spoken by the largest amount of people worldwide?

Mandarin Chinese?
Come on, mate. If Americans are not interesting in learning a relatively simple language like Spanish, you are expecting them to attempt to learn Mandarin?

Old 08-18-2008, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gortamor View Post
I do agree it would have been better if he had said 'foreign languages'.

He made the comment on July 8th in Georgia when answering a question on education.
Yes, but was he addressing a crowd of teachers? Or was this when he was addressing La Raza? Honestly, I don't recall ---- but you can see if this was said while addressing La Raza or Mecha it is not so innocent a comment. If this was just a random election stop, well the fact that he is for amnesty also makes me give his choice of words more weight.
To be fair, if McCain said this (and I believe that Mccain certainly does believe this) I would be just as disgusted.

Old 08-18-2008, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gortamor View Post
Come on, mate. If Americans are not interesting in learning a relatively simple language like Spanish, you are expecting them to attempt to learn Mandarin?
Spanish is the equivalent of ebonics. As far as I'm concerned both are gutter sounding languages.

Old 08-18-2008, 02:14 PM

3,859 posts, read 9,172,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Yes, but was he addressing a crowd of teachers? Or was this when he was addressing La Raza? Honestly, I don't recall ---- but you can see if this was said while addressing La Raza or Mecha it is not so innocent a comment. If this was just a random election stop, well the fact that he is for amnesty also makes me give his choice of words more weight.
To be fair, if McCain said this (and I believe that Mccain certainly does believe this) I would be just as disgusted.
Absolutely-I agree.

Nicolem

Old 08-18-2008, 02:15 PM

10,479 posts, read 13,508,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
So English speakers need to adapt to Spanish speakers? In our own country? Why? If I moved to Hondorus, I would learn Spanish. Why is it so hard a concept (or worse, make it seem racist) to expect immigrants from SOB to learn English? We make no provisions for other immigrants...they learn English or they will have a hard time at the self check out line at the grocery store (which currently is available in English and Spanish). Immigrants from Africa are expected to learn a new language because Home Depot only has signs in English and Spanish. What makes Spanish speaking immigrants more priviledged then other non Spanish speaking immigrants? Well, except the activists?
Apparently there was a point in my post you didn't grasp....countries all over the world REQUIRE english as a second language.....are they not doing exactly the same thing you're refuting???????????????????????

Old 08-18-2008, 02:16 PM

10,479 posts, read 13,508,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
Spanish is the equivalent of ebonics. As far as I'm concerned both are gutter sounding languages.
You are so not even of this planet it's pathetic. Spanish is ebonics? I see, so to you it's not a real language. Personally, your posts on this forum are gutters full of garbage. You're ridiculous.

Old 08-18-2008, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolem View Post
Absolutely-I agree.

Nicolem
So do I. It was his finest hour of hispandering to date. Obama is nothing more than a political pimp and corporate slave who will do and say anything for a vote and to maintain his escalating personal wealth.

Old 08-18-2008, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
Apparently there was a point in my post you didn't grasp....countries all over the world REQUIRE english as a second language.....are they not doing exactly the same thing you're refuting???????????????????????

They are learning a language of commerce, a language that has been used as such for a long long time.
They are not being asked/told to learn a language so that immigrants, legal and otherwise, will not have to learn yours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or