U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 03:31 PM

4,800 posts, read 7,687,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaGirl2 View Post
Myabe where you live, but not on this side of the country. Regardless of the ethnic backround of the person seeking assistance the representative at the Government Office providing service should at least provide service in English and Spanish. Any other language, it would be up to the individual seeking assistant to bring along their own interpreter.
Well, of course. That's because our Spanish speaking illegal immigrants are special.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2008, 05:46 PM

5,409 posts, read 11,068,069 times
maybe there are too many english speakers, so their wait is longer.
maybe there are available slots in spanish because spanish speakers arent looking for these services at the level english speakers are.

simple as that.

all county or state employees speak english. some of them are bi lingual in manadrin, spanish, korean, etc etc. at least in LA.

sometimes the DMV phone line takes hours, so being bilingual it might be quicker in spanish cuz no one is on that line. same in court, the spanish line is always shorter, except they gotta wait till they do the english folk first.

sometimes it works, other times it dont.

but i could see the spanish rep being less busy. it makes complete sense. logical.

anyhow. you guys crack me up with this stuff.

Old 08-18-2008, 05:56 PM

3,368 posts, read 10,273,527 times
But if all employees of WIC in California speak English (and I do NOT doubt that they do), why should there be times specifically set aside and reserved for Spanish speakers? An English speaker could easily fill in one of these slots to be seen by a social worker. It just doesn't make any sense that getting an appointment in English would take longer than getting one in Spanish. An in-person appointment isn't the same as one phone line operated in English and another in Spanish: if the "Spanish rep [is] less busy" as you hypothesize, why can't s/he help an English speaker who desires an appointment sooner rather than later? What happened here seems like discrimination based on language spoken, and I am NOT one to go "crying wolf."

Old 08-18-2008, 06:03 PM

7,020 posts, read 9,895,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
But if all employees of WIC in California speak English (and I do NOT doubt that they do), why should there be times specifically set aside and reserved for Spanish speakers? An English speaker could easily fill in one of these slots to be seen by a social worker. It just doesn't make any sense that getting an appointment in English would take longer than getting one in Spanish. An in-person appointment isn't the same as one phone line operated in English and another in Spanish: if the "Spanish rep [is] less busy" as you hypothesize, why can't s/he help an English speaker who desires an appointment sooner rather than later? What happened here seems like discrimination based on language spoken, and I am NOT one to go "crying wolf."
ITA. I also think their deliberate intent is to deter Americans from coming to that specific office by changing it into one that exclusively serves the needs of latinos.

The most they figured would happen is that word of mouth would circulate the wait times for non spanish speakers and that would deter any other races/ethnicities from receiving any of the allocated funding. Thus, latinos would receive every penny of the American tax payers' dollars allocated to that location.

The last thing they expected was for that woman to go before a room full of city counsel members and blow them out of the water.

Old 08-18-2008, 06:10 PM

55,237 posts, read 72,402,860 times
people get better faster service here if they speak spanish, this is a fact, i speak spanish and often take advantage of this fact. learning spanish is good but people should not be penalized for not speaking a second language in this country.

Old 08-18-2008, 10:02 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,699,632 times
No illegal or legal immigrant should be getting WIC or any kind of welfare handouts.

If they are too lazy to work, too unskilled to work, unable to learn even English in order to work, they need to be sent back to Mexico.

There are plenty of people throughout the world who would like to come here, who would like to become American and who are capable of learning and adapting to this country -- so why are we importing so many losers?

Old 08-19-2008, 11:14 AM

5,409 posts, read 11,068,069 times
a lot of pregnant women recieve wic. do you even know what it is? its for women infants and children. it is available for all women. my sister recieves wic, or used to. she is not illegal. and she is not lazy. now that the kids are a bit older, she is back in school. if you knew people who used this program you would think otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
No illegal or legal immigrant should be getting WIC or any kind of welfare handouts.

If they are too lazy to work, too unskilled to work, unable to learn even English in order to work, they need to be sent back to Mexico.

There are plenty of people throughout the world who would like to come here, who would like to become American and who are capable of learning and adapting to this country -- so why are we importing so many losers?

Old 08-19-2008, 11:18 AM

570 posts, read 1,364,176 times
If someone wants to learn Spanish by their own choice, OK fine go for it. But when it's being forced on us because of the hispanic invasion in are country is another story. These people that are destroying are towns and cities and leaching off our government, The least they can do is learn English.
Have you ever been in a town they got hold of? It will go from a nice town too a crime ridden ghetto in a few years. It just makes me sick inside too see this happen in America.

Old 08-19-2008, 11:19 AM

3,859 posts, read 9,170,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
a lot of pregnant women recieve wic. do you even know what it is? its for women infants and children. it is available for all women. my sister recieves wic, or used to. she is not illegal. and she is not lazy. now that the kids are a bit older, she is back in school. if you knew people who used this program you would think otherwise.
Malamute was not debating whether or not we should provide WIC to American citizen's-that is a whole other topic for heated discussion.

Malamute was saying that neither legal immigrants or illegal aliens should be receiving any kind of taxpayer handouts. I agree 100%.

Welfare-whether one thinks it should exist or not-should be for Americans only. If you want to justify the use of WIC and other welfare by American citizens-perhaps the Political and other Contriversies forum would be the appopriate place to debate that.

Old 08-19-2008, 11:38 AM

15,179 posts, read 15,809,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
Absolutely! I know for a fact they have a 'special' office at a major DC hospital designated for those who speak Spanish. I have watched Latinos enter the facility after others who have been waiting, and are seen prior to the English-speaking patients. Something is very wrong with this picture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or