U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 01:12 PM

291 posts, read 353,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
Budget surplus days are a pipe dream, but they'll never come as long as we ar a nation of handouts...for ANYONE, illegal, legal, wall street, etc.
Agreed! the purse strings in ca getting shorter and shorter
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2016, 03:10 PM

41 posts, read 24,012 times
I just realized something. I was thinking the entire time this took place in Lancaster, PA, but it's Lancaster, CALIFORNIA. That explains why these White people look so threatened by the Spanish language. Do they even know that California already spoke Spanish centuries before speaking English? and this city is in Southern California in Los Angeles County. I mean, come on! Isn't that practically Mexico part 2 down there? According to Wikipedia, this city has more Hispanics (38%) than non-Hispanic Whites (34.2%). No wonder they stressed that she knew Spanish, but they could've still given this poor White woman a chance, though.

In fact, even if it had been Lancaster, PA, that city has a huge number of Puerto Ricans, along with some Dominicans, Mexicans, Cubans and other Latinos, so Spanish is omnipresent in both Lancasters! LOL.

Last edited by johnny0881; 04-28-2016 at 03:30 PM..

Old 04-28-2016, 03:43 PM

20,611 posts, read 12,296,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny0881 View Post
I just realized something. I was thinking the entire time this took place in Lancaster, PA, but it's Lancaster, CALIFORNIA. That explains why these White people look so threatened by the Spanish language. Do they even know that California already spoke Spanish centuries before speaking English? and this city is in Southern California in Los Angeles County. I mean, come on! Isn't that practically Mexico part 2 down there? According to Wikipedia, this city has more Hispanics (38%) than non-Hispanic Whites (34.2%). No wonder they stressed that she knew Spanish, but they could've still given this poor White woman a chance, though.

In fact, even if it had been Lancaster, PA, that city has a huge number of Puerto Ricans, along with some Dominicans, Mexicans, Cubans and other Latinos, so Spanish is omnipresent in both Lancasters! LOL.
Calif does NOT belong to Mexico, it belongs to the US. Period.

To be fair: the US did screw up in not taking ALL of Mexico in 1848.

Old 04-28-2016, 06:33 PM

31,610 posts, read 14,599,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny0881 View Post

If Americans (not just whites) feel threatened by the Spanish language it is because it reminds us why we are hearing so much Spanish and it is directly due to illegal immigration because most Hispanic citizens know how to speak English. Doesn't matter what language was spoken long ago. For decades in Calif. you hardly heard any Spanish being spoken so my analogy of this is just the facts. Illegal immigration and high numbers of legal immigration from one lingual group has created this situation. What happened to diversity?

Old 04-28-2016, 07:22 PM

20,611 posts, read 12,296,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
If Americans (not just whites) feel threatened by the Spanish language it is because it reminds us why we are hearing so much Spanish and it is directly due to illegal immigration because most Hispanic citizens know how to speak English. Doesn't matter what language was spoken long ago. For decades in Calif. you hardly heard any Spanish being spoken so my analogy of this is just the facts. Illegal immigration and high numbers of legal immigration from one lingual group has created this situation. What happened to diversity?
Agreed. MOST Hispanics went to Calif after 1848; the few there way back in the day pretty much are now "anglo white" in 2016.

Old 04-28-2016, 08:13 PM

3,308 posts, read 2,555,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaGirl2 View Post
Myabe where you live, but not on this side of the country. Regardless of the ethnic backround of the person seeking assistance the representative at the Government Office providing service should at least provide service in English and Spanish. Any other language, it would be up to the individual seeking assistance to bring along their own interpreter.
In CA social service offices, civil rights are a HUGE deal- no office wants to get sued or taken to court. No one can be discriminated for language and no one can be turned away for appointments. Even if it is a tiny African dialect, the client has the right to an interpreter. Workers are always over- booked and over-worked because of the need to assist many clients. I find it very hard to believe that she was turned away because she spoke English, makes absolutely no sense.

A large portion of this population has a huge victim mentality and they make up ALOT of stories when they don't get their way. This lady's story sounds fishy. She probably didn't get the appointment right away, saw that there were Spanish speaking clients and got 'offended.'

If this actually did happen, she can file a civil rights complaint, the paperwork is handed to all clients with their paperwork. A worker can be fired for such serious things.

Fishy, fishy fishy.. .

Old 04-28-2016, 08:17 PM

21,523 posts, read 26,139,087 times
OP is from 2008 folks.

Old 04-29-2016, 01:22 AM

8,764 posts, read 2,336,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
There are plenty of people throughout the world who would like to come here, who would like to become American and who are capable of learning and adapting to this country -- so why are we importing so many losers?
Because it is assumed they will eventually be able to vote, and will reliably vote for Democrats.

Old 04-29-2016, 01:32 AM

8,764 posts, read 2,336,698 times
^^^^^ noticed Suzy's post (directly above my previous post above) right after my post above hit the thread. Given that, IMO, my reply above is still applicable .

Old 04-29-2016, 08:05 AM

7,841 posts, read 6,927,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
In CA social service offices, civil rights are a HUGE deal- no office wants to get sued or taken to court. No one can be discriminated for language and no one can be turned away for appointments. Even if it is a tiny African dialect, the client has the right to an interpreter. Workers are always over- booked and over-worked because of the need to assist many clients. I find it very hard to believe that she was turned away because she spoke English, makes absolutely no sense.

A large portion of this population has a huge victim mentality and they make up ALOT of stories when they don't get their way. This lady's story sounds fishy. She probably didn't get the appointment right away, saw that there were Spanish speaking clients and got 'offended.'

If this actually did happen, she can file a civil rights complaint, the paperwork is handed to all clients with their paperwork. A worker can be fired for such serious things.

Fishy, fishy fishy.. .
Agreed. This was nothing but a sham.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or