U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 10:45 AM

7,020 posts, read 9,894,200 times

Advertisements

Undocumented immigrant's kids having unusual trouble applying for aid

BY NYLEJAH LAWSON AND MARIA MORENO
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITERS
Monday, August 18th 2008, 6:44 PM
Sudbury/CPL Alma (r.) didn't realize she could apply for aid despite mom's status. The solution: put in zeroes for Social Security numbers.

When alma applied to college, she was confused about what to put on the application when asked for her parents' Social Security numbers.
Alma, a high school senior from Bushwick, is one of 3 million American-born children of undocumented immigrants living as a legal citizen in the U.S. For teens like Alma, applying to college can be hard because of parents' fears of deportation.
Alma, whose family is from Mexico, said not knowing what to put on college applications and financial papers was stressful because she knew she had to work harder to be the first in her family to go to college, even though she has two older siblings, including a 19-year-old sister.
"She feels bad," Alma said of her sister. "She cannot go to university" because she's undocumented.

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/...ng_unus-2.html

Ha . . this one wins the prize.

She doesn't feel bad because her mother is a criminal and the fact that those criminal actions has resulted in making her an accessory to the crime. She only feels bad because she can't figure out a way to steal US tax dollars that will enable her to steal an American child's dream of attending a University.

The more I read, the crazier and more apparent their irrational thought process becomes . . . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2008, 10:53 AM

8,180 posts, read 11,032,296 times
Well, perhaps she can go to university in her country of origin.

Problem solved.

Old 08-19-2008, 10:55 AM

3,859 posts, read 9,170,029 times
You know my heart really breaks for her.....NOT.

Here is an idea- and I know it is way out there. How about they all go home to their home country where they are legally allowed to live. We always hear how bright and intelligent anchor babies and illegal kids are. If that is the case-she should have no problem getting into college in Mexico as she has citizenship there.

Old 08-19-2008, 01:58 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,807,269 times
Don’t you just love these sob stories? Of course, they MUST include a picture of the poor unfortunate “undocumented” yearning for the American Dream. Funny, we seldom see articles and pictures of the children of legal citizens who can’t attend college for various reasons. I wonder why

Old 08-19-2008, 02:14 PM

8,180 posts, read 11,032,296 times
Yes, what about all the 'kids' who work two jobs to go to college, or join the guard in order to go to college (things my dh and I did). No, she deserves to go to college and get aid for it because after all....big bad America owes her.

Old 08-19-2008, 02:16 PM

35,885 posts, read 65,242,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Don’t you just love these sob stories? Of course, they MUST include a picture of the poor unfortunate “undocumented” yearning for the American Dream. Funny, we seldom see articles and pictures of the children of legal citizens who can’t attend college for various reasons. I wonder why
Cause - people who cannot AFFORD to go to college are not the "in" stories right now. The amnesty cheerleaders are focused on how bad illegals have it here . . . the plight of CITIZENS is not a hot topic. No one gives a damn if you or your child can't figure out how to get a college education. All the bleeding hearts are weeping over the "mistreated" non-citizens amongst us.

How about a chorus of "Don't Cry for me, Argentina."

Old 08-19-2008, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
You know why they put it there. Not only do we seldom see articles about the suffering of American children who cannot afford college that are eligible for student loans and financial aid but the funding has been depleted, we never see pictures of them or their poor down trodden AMERICAN parents. Apparently, those who write these articles didn't get the memo, we are in a recession and we could care less about the woe is me, poor illegal alien SOB stories.

Old 08-19-2008, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolem View Post
You know my heart really breaks for her.....NOT.

Here is an idea- and I know it is way out there. How about they all go home to their home country where they are legally allowed to live. We always hear how bright and intelligent anchor babies and illegal kids are. If that is the case-she should have no problem getting into college in Mexico as she has citizenship there.
Agreed. They need to go home and build their own damn dream. Of course they won't. Staying here where all the heavy lifting has already been done by Americans is much safer and far better. All they have to do is blackmail us and demand everything but the kitchen sink. Much easier than facing their own corrupt governments and depending on themselves to reproduce what we already have.

Old 08-19-2008, 02:25 PM

4,828 posts, read 6,789,466 times
Why should she go "home" when her home is right here in the U.S?

Old 08-19-2008, 02:36 PM

3,859 posts, read 9,170,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
Why should she go "home" when her home is right here in the U.S?
Well her parents and older sister are illegal and they should go home.

The anchor baby is crying because she cannot get free $$ to go to school because of her parents being illegal. If the anchor baby wants a free education perhaps Mexico-the other country she is a citizen of-can provide free education for her. In that regard she can go home.

Either that or stop complaining and work a job or two and pay for her education like so many Americans do. She should appreciate the fact that our 14th amnedment was disgustingly manipulated and she became a citizen because of it. No matter how much these illegals and anchors get and get away with at the expense of Americans-they still always complain and want more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or