U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2008, 02:02 PM

7,020 posts, read 9,902,772 times

Advertisements

An investigation revealed 11 of the employees were using Social Security numbers that didn't appear to be associated with their name, and they were arrested on March 18, Evans said.

All 11, who are also suspected of being in the country illegally, were indicted on a single count each of aggravated taking the identity of another but pleaded guilty last month to criminal impersonation.
On Monday, Pima County Superior Court Judge Frank Dawley had to decide whether to place the defendants on probation or sentence them to up to two years in prison. He also had to decide if the crime should be designated a felony or a misdemeanor.

All of the defendants' attorneys told Dawley their clients never intended to hurt anyone — they just wanted to work so they could provide for their families. At least two of the defendants sentenced Monday came to the U.S. as children and graduated from local high schools.
During Monday's hearing, Pima County Legal Defender Isabel Garcia, who represented Moreno-Peralta, called the three-month investigation a "waste of taxpayer money."
Illegal immigrants have contributed $200 billion to Social Security and it is because of them that baby boomers will be able to collect Social Security upon retirement, Garcia said.

Moreover, they have also paid local, state and sales taxes — taxes that "contribute to the well-being of all of our society," Garcia said.
Generations of people have bought or created Social Security numbers, but it's only recently become a crime, Garcia said.

The Social Security number that Moreno-Peralta used belonged to a dead person; no one was hurt, Garcia said.

According to court documents, Moreno-Peralta told probation officers she was told the number was fictitious. She also said she didn't remember how much she paid for the card or who told her how to obtain it. She said she didn't realize obtaining the card was a crime.

Moreno-Peralta came to the U.S. with her family 11 years ago. She possessed a border- crossing card at the time and entered the country legally, court records indicate.

Alien Inmates Indicted for the Murder of Federal Correctional Officer*-*borderfirereport.net

How in the world can you stay in a country illegally for 11 years and not have learned that it is a crime to use fake identification? These people are habitual liars and criminally insane.

Adding to our government imposed misery is statements from anchor babies such as Isabelle Peralta who isn't fit to be an officer of a kangaroo court.

My imagination does not permit me to trauma of envisioning millions of them becoming citizens of this country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2008, 02:09 PM

35,885 posts, read 65,314,414 times
Well, here is my story. I know of 2 people who have had their SS #'s "accessed" by illegals and it DID cause a world of trouble, as the IRS audited both my friends' taxes due to their W-2s not matching up. How can anyone say this did not harm? In the one case, the person was using a deceased person's ID, but what happens when the person's SS # is active??? That is where the problem came in for the people I know. They had a big mess, had to hire attorneys, etc. to prove that they had not filed incorrect tax returns.

This is nuts!!!!! Like a judge should debate whether this is a felony or a misdemeanor - I do not get that!!!! Identity fraud is a felony, I thought . . . ?????

It is hard to imagine what a mess this country would be in if people who are this ignorant - as the woman who said she DID NOT KNOW it was wrong to rip off someone else's identity - are allowed to become citizens.

We are creating a welfare state . . . and not only that . . . a nation full of illiterate, uneducated, irresponsible residents.

Old 08-19-2008, 02:12 PM

8,180 posts, read 11,040,338 times
After eleven years she had no idea that using a fake ssn was illegal? Perhaps she had no idea that by being in this country without visa was also illegal.

Old 08-19-2008, 02:14 PM

7,020 posts, read 9,902,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Well, here is my story. I know of 2 people who have had their SS #'s "accessed" by illegals and it DID cause a world of trouble, as the IRS audited both my friends' taxes due to their W-2s not matching up. How can anyone say this did not harm? In the one case, the person was using a deceased person's ID, but what happens when the person's SS # is active??? That is where the problem came in for the people I know. They had a big mess, had to hire attorneys, etc. to prove that they had not filed incorrect tax returns.

This is nuts!!!!! Like a judge should debate whether this is a felony or a misdemeanor - I do not get that!!!! Identity fraud is a felony, I thought . . . ?????

It is hard to imagine what a mess this country would be in if people who are this ignorant - as the woman who said she DID NOT KNOW it was wrong to rip off someone else's identity - are allowed to become citizens.

We are creating a welfare state . . . and not only that . . . a nation full of illiterate, uneducated, irresponsible residents.
Great post and I concur. However, this situation goes far beyond the realm of creating a welfare state. Our government, the corporate crooks, the racist anchor babies in office and the global elites are turning America into a 3rd world, lawless hell hole, identical to the one currently known as Mexico.

Old 08-19-2008, 02:50 PM

638 posts, read 1,639,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
. . Generations of people have bought or created Social Security numbers, but it's only recently become a crime, Garcia said.

The Social Security number that Moreno-Peralta used belonged to a dead person; no one was hurt, Garcia said.
At a glance, I would refute her argument this is "recent law" illegality, except perhaps in her distorted perception. Her interpretation of "no legal injury" regarding "fraud", is misguided, and ignorant.

Granted, I'm no expert in the language of law and taxes, but she "is" arguing law here regarding "fraud" . . so it's best to refer her to the Internal Revenue Service on this enforcement issue as the expert. In my humble interpretation though, using a false social security number, being amongst other crimes, is "fraud".

Internal Revenue Service, reporting "fraud".
http://www.irs.gov/individuals/article/0,,id=106778,00.html

Office of the Inspector General, Social Security Administration, might also have an opinion that refutes her interpretation of law regarding "fraud".
https://www.socialsecurity.gov/oig/public_fraud_reporting/form.htm (broken link)

The semantics of knowingly using the social security number of a "dead person" is definitely not in her favor, but draw your own conclusions.

Fraud
A false representation of a matter of fact—whether by words or by conduct, by false or misleading allegations, or by concealment of what should have been disclosed—that deceives and is intended to deceive another so that the individual will act upon it to her or his legal injury.
http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/fraud

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fraud

Last edited by r601020; 08-19-2008 at 03:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or