U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Labor Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 06:27 PM

391 posts, read 441,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
I would hope the welfare queens and hobos are no more typical of the average american worker then the overly sharpied chola is of a mexican woman.
If there is a need for agricultural workers, then yes, give out temporary work visas. But said need doesn't equate to the millions of illegals in this country already, not to mention those still trying to get in.
I was not talking of illegals I was responding to someones remarks to me thank you very much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2008, 07:50 PM

8,193 posts, read 7,413,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chey2u View Post
Yet I have never labled any of you though you have no problen saying things against me
What have I said against you?
I disagree with you, as you disagree with me, but I do not recall labeling you or calling you names.

Old 08-27-2008, 09:14 PM

15,181 posts, read 9,476,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californio View Post
2% really? source?
Pardon me. It's 3% not 2%. This is also from 2005. I did read more recent reports, but don't remember the source. Anyway, the point I was trying to make, is that agriculture accounts for a small percentage of illegal alien employment.

Quote:
Illegal immigrants can be found working in many sectors of the U.S. economy. About 3 percent work in agriculture; 33 percent have jobs in service industries; and substantial numbers can be found in construction and related occupations (16 percent) and in production, installation and repair (17 percent).
Study Details Lives of Illegal Immigrants in U.S. : NPR

Old 03-09-2010, 09:03 AM

468 posts, read 213,518 times
I think thoughtfulness needs to be a major part of this dialogue. Without that, laws will never change-and they should'nt. I am teaching myself about the issue but have not taken a viewpoint yet. Like one person wrote "Not sure if it was where I lived or if they hadn't invaded that area yet". For me that type of thinking of other people in that way is a turn off. It's like you don't think they are human. Your not going to win many fans to your view with thoughts like that.

Things that I am looking into are: whether the illegal immigration problem is as bad as some are making it out to be. Why the border between us and Mexico seems to be such a huge problem compared to the border between us and Canada? How many Hispanics themsleves are involved in the issue. If it is all white folk wanting the immigrants out then I need to know why. If 20% or more are Hispanic descent that gives the issue more weight because it is probably not a racist issue then. The Hispanic percent involved, is an indicator.

You see when we write to a blog/message board unless we have an accurate avatar we don't know what ethnic background we are from. Many folks into the anti-immigration stance are racists and many are not. The problem is when we jump on the bandwagon too soon we end up with "bedfellows" that don't really have the same morals or ethics we have.

Here in Texas-it is great. We may have a lot of illegal immigrants but we also have people who are illegal from countries where the people look white and no one is yelling about them. Many illegal Hispanics are great people and are trying to feed their families and send their money home. Many are honorable, brave people. I will continue to look into this issue but I leave with 2 thoughts. I hear the biggest unprotected border in the world is between us and Canada. Is the problem with illegals from Mexico coming here more to do with their own country and the US's infuence keeping them poor? If so, this is a global human rights issue and the US needs to back off Mexico and allow it to become a country with it's own strengths and not keep it a third world country.

Read more: Texas lawmakers consider new immigration laws
"

Old 03-09-2010, 09:28 AM

14,307 posts, read 5,684,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creepy View Post
I think thoughtfulness needs to be a major part of this dialogue. Without that, laws will never change-and they should'nt. I am teaching myself about the issue but have not taken a viewpoint yet. Like one person wrote "Not sure if it was where I lived or if they hadn't invaded that area yet". For me that type of thinking of other people in that way is a turn off. It's like you don't think they are human. Your not going to win many fans to your view with thoughts like that.

Things that I am looking into are: whether the illegal immigration problem is as bad as some are making it out to be. Why the border between us and Mexico seems to be such a huge problem compared to the border between us and Canada? How many Hispanics themsleves are involved in the issue. If it is all white folk wanting the immigrants out then I need to know why. If 20% or more are Hispanic descent that gives the issue more weight because it is probably not a racist issue then. The Hispanic percent involved, is an indicator.

You see when we write to a blog/message board unless we have an accurate avatar we don't know what ethnic background we are from. Many folks into the anti-immigration stance are racists and many are not. The problem is when we jump on the bandwagon too soon we end up with "bedfellows" that don't really have the same morals or ethics we have.

Here in Texas-it is great. We may have a lot of illegal immigrants but we also have people who are illegal from countries where the people look white and no one is yelling about them. Many illegal Hispanics are great people and are trying to feed their families and send their money home. Many are honorable, brave people. I will continue to look into this issue but I leave with 2 thoughts. I hear the biggest unprotected border in the world is between us and Canada. Is the problem with illegals from Mexico coming here more to do with their own country and the US's infuence keeping them poor? If so, this is a global human rights issue and the US needs to back off Mexico and allow it to become a country with it's own strengths and not keep it a third world country.

Read more: Texas lawmakers consider new immigration laws
"
I am responding with tongue in cheek because I think your claim that you know little about illegal immigration and haven't formed and opinion is bogus.

This issue isn't about race for those of us opposing illegal immigration and pro-enforcement of our laws for the most part. So don't even go there. There have been many viable statistics posted under many topics in this forum showing the harm it is doing to our country. Just the fact that illegal immigration is "illegal" should be enough to form a pro-American opinion. Illegals being human beings is irrelevant also. All law violaters are human so what is your point? Please don't use the word "immigrant" when referring to illegal aliens either. There is a huge difference.

It is also irrelevant that some or many of these illegals are basically nice people and come here for economic gain. The laws are what they are and they are in place to protect Americans. Blaming the U.S. for Mexico's woes is another warn out excuse. Mexico is quite capable of creating a good economical environment for its citizens but there is much corruption on both sides of the border and they take advantage of it.

As for why Mexican illegals are spoke about more often it is because they are the group overwhelmingly here by the largest numbers. It has nothing to do with skin color or race but then you knew that, didn't you? Also, when you have so many illegals from mostly one ethnic group it will eventually change the demographics of our country. Unwanted political and cultural change will come about. Do you know of any country that would welcome the illegal invasion of millions, especially from mostly one ethnic group that would make those unnatural changes to the identity of their country? That is just one of the reasons we have immigration laws. Jobs, uncontrolled population growth and stress on our social infrastructures are among some of the other reasons. When someone comes here illegally they get no health or background checks either as a legal immigrant would.

Old 03-09-2010, 09:40 AM

3,855 posts, read 2,350,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
AUSTIN - A couple of lawmakers want to know whether Texas can punish employers who hire undocumented workers and prohibit cities from adopting so-called sanctuary policies. "We need to make sure that we uphold our laws," said state Rep. Frank Corte Jr., R-San Antonio.
Corte and state Sen. Dan Patrick, R-Houston, sent Texas Attorney General Greg Abbott two letters earlier this month, asking him to rule whether anti-immigration measures similar to ones adopted in Arizona and Oklahoma, would meet constitutional muster here.
Last year, several Republican lawmakers proposed a smorgasbord of anti-immigration bills, but nearly all of them failed after the attorney general said they would violate the constitution or overstep federal authority. House leaders had asked Abbott to review all the proposals after they were filed.
Corte said it would be nice to know before the 2009 legislative session what authority Texas has to enforce immigration laws.

Texas lawmakers consider new immigration laws - El Paso Times

The hammer continues to fall . . . .
AG Abbott is a sharp guy, No BS-er...He wont waste time telling Lesgeslator to write "Feel Good" bills that wont be able to surevive judicial review.

I'll wait till the AG rules before I crack open a bottle of bubbly and sing... Bon Voyage, Adios, and Arrivaderchi.

Old 03-09-2010, 10:16 AM

3,855 posts, read 2,350,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
I am responding with tongue in cheek because I think your claim that you know little about illegal immigration and haven't formed and opinion is bogus.

This issue isn't about race for those of us opposing illegal immigration and pro-enforcement of our laws for the most part. So don't even go there. There have been many viable statistics posted under many topics in this forum showing the harm it is doing to our country. Just the fact that illegal immigration is "illegal" should be enough to form a pro-American opinion. Illegals being human beings is irrelevant also. All law violaters are human so what is your point? Please don't use the word "immigrant" when referring to illegal aliens either. There is a huge difference.

It is also irrelevant that some or many of these illegals are basically nice people and come here for economic gain. The laws are what they are and they are in place to protect Americans. Blaming the U.S. for Mexico's woes is another warn out excuse. Mexico is quite capable of creating a good economical environment for its citizens but there is much corruption on both sides of the border and they take advantage of it.

As for why Mexican illegals are spoke about more often it is because they are the group overwhelmingly here by the largest numbers. It has nothing to do with skin color or race but then you knew that, didn't you? Also, when you have so many illegals from mostly one ethnic group it will eventually change the demographics of our country. Unwanted political and cultural change will come about. Do you know of any country that would welcome the illegal invasion of millions, especially from mostly one ethnic group that would make those unnatural changes to the identity of their country? That is just one of the reasons we have immigration laws. Jobs, uncontrolled population growth and stress on our social infrastructures are among some of the other reasons. When someone comes here illegally they get no health or background checks either as a legal immigrant would.
Its easy to ask the question TODAY, but in the scheme of things, this is the history of Human man, moving form one area of the World to another and changing the compostion of countries is still the norm...

Of course, you will say,...But we have laws now. Now its different. We Have to resrtict and prevent OUR culture from changing. But we have been changing this country's culture for as long as we have been here...and as recent as 100 years ago-wide open Migration was allowed.

Our country has a rich history of welcoming different cultures as we progressed and prospered...Americans invited Black Africans to help while America prospered thru its Agriculural phase...America Invited Asians form the West, Europeans from the East, and Hispanics from the south durring its great Westward expansion.

So Yes, America has a Rich and Diverse history of Changing Its self to accomplish Great and grand goals.

Since 1950 to 2000, someone (we the people) allowed the flow of people from the South. Without a single shot fired or a single vote cast, they have all been given Citizenship at birth, Free Emergency healthcare, Free Emergency Federal Welfare, Free Education, Housing, Ability to buy property and businesses, Ability to Open Bank accounts. The right to march in the street...for their rights. Nothing that I listed above is a crime for them to have.

If you would like to chronicle their crimes...what good does it do, Washington doesnt hear you. America ranks Illegal Immigration 5th in importance. Americans are more worried about real issued to them, Budget, Health Care Reform, Jobs, Economy, and Terrorism.

Old 03-09-2010, 10:50 AM

16,749 posts, read 12,423,787 times
Is there a newb limit on dead threads being resurrected?

Old 03-09-2010, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
Its easy to ask the question TODAY, but in the scheme of things, this is the history of Human man, moving form one area of the World to another and changing the compostion of countries is still the norm...

Of course, you will say,...But we have laws now. Now its different. We Have to resrtict and prevent OUR culture from changing. But we have been changing this country's culture for as long as we have been here...and as recent as 100 years ago-wide open Migration was allowed.

Our country has a rich history of welcoming different cultures as we progressed and prospered...Americans invited Black Africans to help while America prospered thru its Agriculural phase...America Invited Asians form the West, Europeans from the East, and Hispanics from the south durring its great Westward expansion.

So Yes, America has a Rich and Diverse history of Changing Its self to accomplish Great and grand goals.

Since 1950 to 2000, someone (we the people) allowed the flow of people from the South. Without a single shot fired or a single vote cast, they have all been given Citizenship at birth, Free Emergency healthcare, Free Emergency Federal Welfare, Free Education, Housing, Ability to buy property and businesses, Ability to Open Bank accounts. The right to march in the street...for their rights. Nothing that I listed above is a crime for them to have.

If you would like to chronicle their crimes...what good does it do, Washington doesnt hear you. America ranks Illegal Immigration 5th in importance. Americans are more worried about real issued to them, Budget, Health Care Reform, Jobs, Economy, and Terrorism.
I’m sorry, but I almost choked on my sandwich. If you believe “America invited Black Africans” you have been sorely misinformed. An “invitation” implies the right to decline.

In any case, in 2010 we have laws restricting entry to this country. Thus, foreigners who desire admittance must follow the rules. It’s just that simple.

Old 03-09-2010, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Is there a newb limit on dead threads being resurrected?
I was wondering the same. You would think there’s a cash-for-thread resurrection. Perhaps they know something we don’t know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration