U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 09:27 AM

3,368 posts, read 10,275,065 times

Advertisements

The pictures have changed twice, so my answers are no longer valid. It's confusing that the the OP would post pictures and then change them twice after posting them if he wants our honest answers...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2008, 09:28 AM

Macmeal - LOL

Old 08-20-2008, 09:31 AM

8,973 posts, read 14,615,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
Macmeal - LOL
One more thing...Whites have, for some years now, sought to monopolize Christmas....by "Dreaming of it" in only ONE color....

Old 08-20-2008, 09:34 AM

4,800 posts, read 7,689,216 times
Oh Mac?

Old 08-20-2008, 12:47 PM

193 posts, read 697,819 times
Default Hispanic isn't a race category it's an ethnicity one

The US Census Bureau gives it's definitions here, and once you read them it's quite easy to understand.

http://www.census.gov/popest/archives/files/90s-rh-doc.txt (broken link)

"The race and Hispanic origin categories used by the Census Bureau are mandated by Office of Management and Budget Directive No. 15, which requires all federal record keeping and data presentation to use four race categories (White, Black, American Indian and Alaska Native, Asian and Pacific Islander) and two ethnicity categories (Hispanic, non-Hispanic). These classifications are not intended to be scientific in nature, but are designed to promote consistency in federal record keeping and data presentation."

So as you see, a Hispanic person, could be White, Black, American Indian/Alaska Native, or Asian / Pacific Islander. These race groups are ridiculous anyhow, as was mentioned they have been changed a ton in the past 150 yrs or so. The confusion probably comes along when a person from central America who is descendant from both "Native" peoples and Europeans, or USA born people who's descendants fall into this bracket, have to choose one of the groups, as they are neither fully native nor fully white (not to mention the qualifier of being connected still to tribal groups for the Native American aspect--which does include North, South, & Central America).

The Census Bureau's definitions of races can be found here:

White persons, 2000

It should also be noted that officially race does not have to do with skin color, but rather to what country/geographic region a person's ancestors are mainly from.

Old 08-20-2008, 12:58 PM

Good answer - the OP has been told that several times on other threads and for some reason he continues to reject the notion that some Hispanic people can be white.

Old 08-20-2008, 03:49 PM

16,092 posts, read 35,784,302 times
I know hispanics were counted as white in Dallas schools until the early 1970s. I have had hispanic friends put 'white' for their race for various surveys, applications, etc.

I sort of wish they would quit all this categorization. I really don't care who is what. Your friend is your friend. With all the mixed race people these days, would you really want to ask right off, "uh, what is your ethnicity?". Doesn't matter. If you get to know the person better, he or she will probably tell you somewhere along the way.

Old 08-20-2008, 04:58 PM

3,172 posts, read 5,995,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
Oh Mac?
See, Mac? What I'd tell you?

Or should I say, Colonel KURTZ!

Old 08-20-2008, 05:09 PM
Status: "Make America the Great Joke Again" (set 24 days ago)

9,060 posts, read 15,470,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
I know hispanics were counted as white in Dallas schools until the early 1970s. I have had hispanic friends put 'white' for their race for various surveys, applications, etc.

I sort of wish they would quit all this categorization. I really don't care who is what. Your friend is your friend. With all the mixed race people these days, would you really want to ask right off, "uh, what is your ethnicity?". Doesn't matter. If you get to know the person better, he or she will probably tell you somewhere along the way.
I really wish we could just stop all of this too, it just makes us a very race conscious of a society. I wish we could just get it removed unless of course it has to do with medical reasons.

The OP is really annoying by changing the pictures over and over too.

Old 08-20-2008, 05:54 PM

I don't agree that being LESS race conscious will necessarily lead to a less racist society. I myself am very race conscious (race fascinates me and I like to discuss it) yet am not racist at all. I think we need to learn to be accepting of people of ALL races before we forget about race. I seriously doubt that our society will just skip this step and - voila! - racism will be cured. Things are getting a lot better but we're not ready to just forget about race quite yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or