U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-20-2008, 07:13 PM
 
Location: Denver
9,067 posts, read 15,499,585 times
Reputation: 5288

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
I don't agree that being LESS race conscious will necessarily lead to a less racist society. I myself am very race conscious (race fascinates me and I like to discuss it) yet am not racist at all. I think we need to learn to be accepting of people of ALL races before we forget about race. I seriously doubt that our society will just skip this step and - voila! - racism will be cured. Things are getting a lot better but we're not ready to just forget about race quite yet.
That's fine to be curious of other races, however, I think we go overboard here. Plus on a personal level the wife and I have become really annoyed over the years of constantly being asked as a first question "where are you guys from?" or "what is your heritage exactly?". I just think it has become an obsession for Americans. I don't even ask people what they are anymore, I could care less, if you're cool, you're cool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-20-2008, 07:36 PM
 
8,973 posts, read 14,633,512 times
Reputation: 2983
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
I don't agree that being LESS race conscious will necessarily lead to a less racist society. I myself am very race conscious (race fascinates me and I like to discuss it) yet am not racist at all. I think we need to learn to be accepting of people of ALL races before we forget about race. I seriously doubt that our society will just skip this step and - voila! - racism will be cured. Things are getting a lot better but we're not ready to just forget about race quite yet.
Interesting thoughts there....however, as usual, I'll play 'devil's advocate'....and by that I mean, to the extent that one's race continues to be a valid factor in his/her identity, then it will get attention. The problem with THAT is, it may get negative attention, as well as positive...that's just how life works.

Do I have answers? No, I don't. I'm only making the observation that 'race consciousness' as you describe it, (and I'll agree it's an interesting subject), inevitably will sometimes be used in both negative and positive ways. It can mean just about anything.....depending on who's saying what.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2008, 07:40 PM
 
8,973 posts, read 14,633,512 times
Reputation: 2983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
That's fine to be curious of other races, however, I think we go overboard here. Plus on a personal level the wife and I have become really annoyed over the years of constantly being asked as a first question "where are you guys from?" or "what is your heritage exactly?". I just think it has become an obsession for Americans. I don't even ask people what they are anymore, I could care less, if you're cool, you're cool.
Those questions are borderline rude, and I'm sure you know you're not required to answer....unless of course you want to. I've 'been there', and you're right, it CAN get tedious, even if it's done in a friendly way....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2008, 08:07 PM
 
3,368 posts, read 10,293,732 times
Reputation: 1675
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Those questions are borderline rude, and I'm sure you know you're not required to answer....unless of course you want to. I've 'been there', and you're right, it CAN get tedious, even if it's done in a friendly way....
Non-mixed race people are asked a lot about their heritages too, you know. Why can't Mach50 just tell people that's he's mixed with Amerindian? He's in a unique opportunity to teach Americans (many of whom are very ignorant about mixed-race people, especially when this applies to Hispanics) what it means to be mixed-race. Honestly, how the hell are we going to stop talking about race if we don't even understand it? I am all for talking about it instead of advancing the belief that it's taboo to talk about it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2008, 08:24 PM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,673,551 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
Non-mixed race people are asked a lot about their heritages too, you know. Why can't Mach50 just tell people that's he's mixed with Amerindian? He's in a unique opportunity to teach Americans (many of whom are very ignorant about mixed-race people, especially when this applies to Hispanics) what it means to be mixed-race. Honestly, how the hell are we going to stop talking about race if we don't even understand it? I am all for talking about it instead of advancing the belief that it's taboo to talk about it!
No joke there:

A friend of mine gets mistaken for Indian, Filipina. Latina, etc.-----------never mind she is counted as 'Anglo' White, legally speaking.

This woman has the slanted eyes with the inner folds, high cheekbones, etc. of an Asian or some Mestizos...........she is of Hungarian heritage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2008, 10:44 PM
 
1,818 posts, read 2,737,812 times
Reputation: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by big mean bear View Post
The Census Bureau's ever changing definition of what it means to be white is reaching ever stupider paramounts. 'Hispanic" now means white?

What about this guy? He's Hispanic, but is he white?
http://www2.keysso.net/ArrestReports/Mug2.jpg (broken link)


Same goes for this guy...
http://www2.keysso.net/ArrestReports/Mug47.jpg (broken link)


And this guy...

http://www.keysso.net/Mugs/87841.jpg (broken link)


And this woman...

http://www.keysso.net/Mugs/92841.jpg (broken link)

And this Hispanic guy.... They just don't strike me as white!

http://www.keysso.net/Mugs/89711.jpg (broken link)

Any thoughts???
They look like meth addicts
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2008, 10:47 PM
 
Location: Wilmington, NC
8,575 posts, read 6,103,997 times
Reputation: 835
meth addicts? they must be white!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassyone View Post
They look like meth addicts
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2008, 10:49 PM
 
8,973 posts, read 14,633,512 times
Reputation: 2983
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
Non-mixed race people are asked a lot about their heritages too, you know. Why can't Mach50 just tell people that's he's mixed with Amerindian? He's in a unique opportunity to teach Americans (many of whom are very ignorant about mixed-race people, especially when this applies to Hispanics) what it means to be mixed-race. Honestly, how the hell are we going to stop talking about race if we don't even understand it? I am all for talking about it instead of advancing the belief that it's taboo to talk about it!
Well, that's certainly his call. On the other hand, he may not feel like discussing such matters just to satisfy the idle curiosity of strangers in a public setting. It would depend on the situation.....but generally, when someone says "just WHAT is your ethnic makeup, anyway", one would be perfectly justified in responding, "Before I answer that...what, exactly, is your interest in my ethnicity, and why do you ask?".....

It's a situation that could 'go either way', I'll admit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2008, 10:50 PM
 
193 posts, read 699,366 times
Reputation: 114
On the topic of doing away with, or keeping race definitions, how about the "one drop" rule? It's the craziest thing I've ever heard of. How in the heck does that make sense that if a person has one drop of anything other than white, they are that other race, but if they have one drop of white, they do not become white? Of course, this "rule" is being phased, but it's still really prominent it seems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2008, 10:57 PM
 
8,973 posts, read 14,633,512 times
Reputation: 2983
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightwishfan View Post
On the topic of doing away with, or keeping race definitions, how about the "one drop" rule? It's the craziest thing I've ever heard of. How in the heck does that make sense that if a person has one drop of anything other than white, they are that other race, but if they have one drop of white, they do not become white? Of course, this "rule" is being phased, but it's still really prominent it seems.
You think THAT'S crazy ?--try THIS.....A guy can scratch away for YEARS making sketches, drawings, etchings, etc...and what do the critics say?..."Yeah, he tries hard...but he's sure NO ARTIST"
Yet let a guy commit just ONE TINY RAPE....and suddenly, the whole WORLD says "LOOK ! there goes that RAPIST"

Does that make sense?....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top