U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-07-2009, 04:15 AM
 
Location: Missouri
3,640 posts, read 4,308,847 times
Reputation: 768

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightwishfan View Post
If every country in the world had the same, fairly liberal/open immigration policies, would you be ok with that same policy here in the USA? Why or Why not?

(forgive the typo in the title, should have been "open *to*")
NO, not at all. I am sick of this country having to accept ignorant and uneducated poor people who come here for nothing more than a gravy train. I would like to see us, as a country, get the cajones to actually set an immigration policy for the good of the nation and not for PC reasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-07-2009, 06:27 AM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,615,542 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by badriprasad View Post
Really? How come I read accounts of certain immigrant communities being the most well eduacted and highest earning in America? So much for having allegedly stolen the American man's job to work low $$s.
There are many kinds of immigrants and many kinds of US citizens. There's no dearth of teenage moms in America who did not immigrate from anywhere, who live on welfare. Any number of lazy and overweight American citizens who choose not to work and make a decent living. They were born here.
You well educated immigrant communities are mostly people here legally--------your argument is flawed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2009, 09:10 AM
 
608 posts, read 880,943 times
Reputation: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
You well educated immigrant communities are mostly people here legally--------your argument is flawed.
True but there are those who argue that these legal immigrants are still taking jobs that US citizens could have taken. I know a few of these legal immigrants. While this is not true for all they are usually paid less than the people who they replaced. Many are encouraged to work long hours and do so because they are happy to be sponsored and allowed to work in the US. Just another example of big business trying to save a buck.

But on the plus side they are usually engineers, researchers and in other fields that college (US citizens) students had last interest in over the last decade or two. Maybe these new well educated immigrants will help the US come up with the next big thing that is to save our country as alluded to by politicians for the last several years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2009, 09:25 AM
 
8,973 posts, read 14,612,395 times
Reputation: 2983
No, to answer the OP's question. Even if "All Countries had the Same Policy", I STILL wouldn't be open to unlimited immigration. Sorry if that makes me sound 'mean'.

How many of us, on the forum, have given any thought to SIMILAR questions? I mean, consider the following...

(1) If you KNEW, beyond a doubt, that locks were suddenly illegal, and NOBODY was permitted to lock his house, would you be in favor of this? Anyone could enter your home at any time, of course...but the 'flip side' would be that YOU could enter theirs, too. Would this be 'OK' with you? Why or why not?

(2) Would you agree to leave your keys in your car 24 hours per day, if you knew that EVERY car you encountered up and down your street had ITS keys in it?...

(3) Would you make your social security number, credit card info, etc., PUBLIC KNOWLEDGE....as long as everyone ELSE'S info was also public?

(4) Would you swear a statement to NEVER own a gun....to NEVER raise a hand in self-defense....and to NEVER 'touch' another human being unless asked, for any reason....if everyone ELSE agreed to do the same thing?

WHY would you do these things.....or why NOT? Is it because you don't "trust your fellow humans", or because you DO?...is it because doing these things would be "nice" and "neighborly"...or would it just be "stupid"? Or would you object to the above because "the real world just doesn't work that way".

WHY would you open your borders? If you WOULDN'T open them, why exactly not?....Is part of it because you don't think the whole program would be run "honestly"? That perhaps YOUR country might "give" more than it "receives"?
Something to think about....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2009, 09:44 AM
 
Location: San Diego
32,799 posts, read 30,034,103 times
Reputation: 17687
No, Are we to keep bringing in people until it spills over our border like the Countries they are fleeing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2009, 10:00 AM
 
Location: somewhere in the woods
16,886 posts, read 12,538,974 times
Reputation: 5210
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightwishfan View Post
If every country in the world had the same, fairly liberal/open immigration policies, would you be ok with that same policy here in the USA? Why or Why not?

(forgive the typo in the title, should have been "open *to*")

nope, all illegal imigrants go back to their home country and apply for immigrant status like every legal immigrant has/does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2009, 10:01 AM
 
638 posts, read 1,637,959 times
Reputation: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Something to think about....
Good examples.

Whenever I hear proponents of altruism, I take pause because if sincere, it presents an admirable possiblity. However, in probability (the real world), you're right, it's flawed thinking. Always check the agenda of those who purport to be in the best interests of us all, because like communism, some things work in theory, not in practice. Or better said . .

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2009, 10:13 AM
 
Location: USA
200 posts, read 299,335 times
Reputation: 66
No!

IMO, "The Mexican immigration --most of it illegal --has continued at levels unprecedented in history and as illegal aliens have massed in the streets issuing demands to the american people concern over reconquista has entered the mainstream.

The illegal alien parents and their organizations are teaching the anchor Babies from infants of the Reconquista Movement. Mexico's Plan of the take over, of the American Southwest.

It's time to bring in the Militarty and deport illegal aliens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-15-2011, 11:34 AM
 
5 posts, read 3,321 times
Reputation: 11
Is it fair that some (or should I say, many) people are born into poverty and some born into wealth? If not, should we do something about it? Can we control what family, country, and time that we're born into? And if not, why should anyone feel any sense of connection to something as arbitrary as one's country?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-15-2011, 11:38 AM
 
48,519 posts, read 81,013,914 times
Reputation: 17978
No and the answer to the questio was more tha answered when they brought up amnesty again last time under Bush.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top