Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 12:26 PM

193 posts, read 812,789 times

Advertisements

If every country in the world had the same, fairly liberal/open immigration policies, would you be ok with that same policy here in the USA? Why or Why not?

(forgive the typo in the title, should have been "open *to*")
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2008, 12:31 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,639,025 times
No, I would not be OK with that. The very simple answer would be because the US is a huge draw for people throughout the world, and we would have much too many immigrants then we could possibly handle. And, while it could be argued that if one could go to any country on Earth as one pleased lets be honest....there would not be a huge line into Haiti, The Congo, or the Ukraine.

Old 08-20-2008, 12:33 PM

4,803 posts, read 8,749,891 times
No.

We are a country of limited natural NONRENEWABLE resources. Many of our resources are already strained. Water in the southwest is expected by many experts to run out within 50 years. Many experts predict half that time, especially if current drought conditions continue.

Why would any sane person advocate adding an unlimited number of people to our already populous country?

Old 08-20-2008, 12:36 PM

3,859 posts, read 10,328,724 times
NO. Haven't we pretty much had that in recent years with lax enforcement, freebies to illegals and open borders? I don't think the USA should do anything just because every other country in the world is doing it. The USA should always look at what benefits her citizens above everything else.

I want our borders secured, I want all immigration laws enforced, I want an end to the misuse of the 14th amendment. I want all magnets cut off-every freebie and jobs to illegals. Whoever does not self deport from that-we deport.

Then as far as legal immigration goes-we need a huge time out on everything-visas included. We need assimilation, we need to make sure that employers hire qualified Americans not foreign visa holders because it is cheaper. Let companies compete for American workers. Then after things are back on track-we have limited controlled immigration for our benefit. No one brought in to replace an American because they will work for less $$. Anyone that comes here has to be 100% self-sufficient and cannot bring in generations of family members.

I feel the same way about this regardless of what the rest of the world is doing. We need to put Americans FIRST and save American sovereignty.

Last edited by nicolem; 08-20-2008 at 01:43 PM..

Old 08-20-2008, 12:38 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,606,544 times
The lines would be long for North America (US and Canada) and Western Europe.

Seriously, who would go to Africa? Eastern Europe?

Old 08-20-2008, 01:07 PM

193 posts, read 812,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolem View Post
NO. Haven't we pretty much had that in recent years with lax enforcement, freebies to illegals and open borders? I don't think the USA should do anything just because every other country in the world is doing it. The USA should always look at what benefits her citizens above everything else.
No, I don't agree that that's what we've been doing recently, as most other countries seem to make immigration quite difficult (legally at least). Personally I think that if there were similar laws (not that it is ever going to happen ) in all countries regarding immigration, there would be people who would move out of the country, and I also think less people would move to the USA than is imagined. I'm not sanctioning the USA changing their laws just because everyone else is. The only reason I made that qualifier is that it currently seems "fairly" easy to immigrate to the USA legally, while it's much more difficult it seems to immigrate to a European country. So I threw that in there to even the odds.

Though it is interesting that those opposed to immigration (legal) often site needing to take care of own first and so on. Personally I don't understand this us vs. them mentality. Then again, it's not likely going to change in the near future, and there could be a lot of problems if it did. You know most people I know who have moved to a different country (not just the USA) are some of the hardest workers in addition to many other fine characteristics that come of plopping yourself down in a new culture/language etc. So I'm just curious, not just towards you, but most of the posters, why there is still a negative feeling towards people immigrating here legally, since they will be working at least min. wage and paying taxes?

Old 08-20-2008, 01:15 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,639,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightwishfan View Post
No, I don't agree that that's what we've been doing recently, as most other countries seem to make immigration quite difficult (legally at least). Personally I think that if there were similar laws (not that it is ever going to happen ) in all countries regarding immigration, there would be people who would move out of the country, and I also think less people would move to the USA than is imagined. I'm not sanctioning the USA changing their laws just because everyone else is. The only reason I made that qualifier is that it currently seems "fairly" easy to immigrate to the USA legally, while it's much more difficult it seems to immigrate to a European country. So I threw that in there to even the odds.

Though it is interesting that those opposed to immigration (legal) often site needing to take care of own first and so on. Personally I don't understand this us vs. them mentality. Then again, it's not likely going to change in the near future, and there could be a lot of problems if it did. You know most people I know who have moved to a different country (not just the USA) are some of the hardest workers in addition to many other fine characteristics that come of plopping yourself down in a new culture/language etc. So I'm just curious, not just towards you, but most of the posters, why there is still a negative feeling towards people immigrating here legally, since they will be working at least min. wage and paying taxes?
I know the question wasn't directed toward me, so I hope you don't mind me giving my 2 cents.

I don't think there is a negative feeling towards legal immigrants at all. In this particular thread the question was of unlimited immigration ---well, that would be bad. Overpopulation is a *****, ask China and India! It would be bad here as well.
So, legal immigration is good, as that would mean our laws are being followed and respected. Plus, it has the benefit of adding people to the US population that would benefit society as a whole. Illegal immigration is bad because that is allowing potentially more people in then our country and resources can support. I don't particularily care for the thought of my daughters/granddaughters having forced abortions a la China in attempts to keep the population down because of a liberal free for all immigration policy. But, thats just me and my perspective.

Old 08-20-2008, 01:16 PM

1,862 posts, read 3,343,091 times
Quote:

Mostly, because we have too many people already, and we don't want to be crowded like India or China. Also, immigrants (legal as well as illegal) use more in social services than natives.

We're importing poverty - if people make only minimum wage, they're not paying much in taxes, anyway. So, we're paying for everything. It used to be that we took in immigrants IF they were important to U.S. citizens. That is, certain skills that we needed. Also, they had to be sponsored by someone here so that they would not be a "burden to society".

That all went down the tubes in 1965 when we started this "chain migration", basing immigration on family ties instead of skills.

Immigration should be for the benefit of the citizens of the U.S. - no one else. Like any other country, we should be able to choose who comes to live here, who improves our quality of life.

Old 08-20-2008, 01:23 PM

2,065 posts, read 3,593,942 times
Absolutely NOT!!!!

Old 08-20-2008, 01:23 PM

3,859 posts, read 10,328,724 times
Quote:

I am not opposed to legal immigration and I never said that. What I said was we need a time out and we need to put Americans first. If you choose to label that an "us vs them mentality" go right ahead. I wish more people had that frame of mind-then maybe we would not be in this mess. Unfortunately with out of control illegal immigration and the disgusting abuse of the 14th amendment, we need a time out.

In the last 40 years we have gained 100 million people. If it weren't for legal immigration and the illegal alien invasion we would have lost population. 100 million in 40 years is way too fast-even if it is people who are born here or come legally and they all assimilate.

The only "problem" that I have with legal immigration is when companies use visas to fire American workers and import cheap foreign labor. This happens all the time. Nielsen in Florida is just one example of a company that did this recently. There are lawyers on the web who companies can pay to get the "work around" so they can claim that there is no American "qualified or willing" to do the job.

I am for controlled legal immigration. We need a time out to end the illegal invasion and make sure all illegals go home. After we have taken track of who is here, etc and we have a better grasp on the people in our country, then open back up strict legal immigration as long it is not a detriment to Americans. And only if legals are self-sufficient and not a burden to our country.

I will always put Americans first-if you and others view that as negative- oh well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration