Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 04:45 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,431,396 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
They are Chicanas. As American as you are
Did you interview them? Are they personal friends of yours? How on earth else would you know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2008, 04:47 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,639,025 times
Quote:
Really? Then why Chicana? Why not Americans?

Old 08-20-2008, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
Geeze, you guys are against citizens holding protests?
Maybe the "community didn't want them there"...........I understand that this is a legitimate reason to stop anti-illegal immigration protests.

Old 08-20-2008, 04:50 PM

8,577 posts, read 7,850,694 times
what the hell is a chicana? you are right, they are as american as me. I am north american, and they are either central or south american. see, but I live in the united states.

Quote:

Old 08-20-2008, 04:50 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,753,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Really? Then why Chicana? Why not Americans?
Chicana means American of Mexican descent.

Old 08-20-2008, 04:59 PM

Quote:

Really? I would take it more that they identify themselves as Mexican of American residency. Or perhaps Mexican of American logistics. Certainly I do not get the impression that they identify themselves as US citizens first and foremost.

You know, my youngest son is actually an immigrant as he was born in Korea. Whenever we see Asian people who are obviously immigrants (heavy accents, though all speak English) and for that matter African immigrants they all say the same thing...."he is a lucky boy to be an American." not Korean - American, not Asian - American but American. That to me is at the heart of the immigration debate.....a group of self marginilzed people who cling to a country that abused them, and abuse a country that would further them.

Old 08-20-2008, 05:00 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,429,775 times
We're against the main issue. Why don't you Pro-Illegal get off this board and stop trying to devert the topic before you end up with infractions.

Old 08-20-2008, 05:03 PM

4,829 posts, read 7,748,612 times
Quote:
Really? I would take it more that they identify themselves as Mexican of American residency. Or perhaps Mexican of American logistics. Certainly I do not get the impression that they identify themselves as US citizens first and foremost.

You know, my youngest son is actually an immigrant as he was born in Korea. Whenever we see Asian people who are obviously immigrants (heavy accents, though all speak English) and for that matter African immigrants they all say the same thing...."he is a lucky boy to be an American." not Korean - American, not Asian - American but American. That to me is at the heart of the immigration debate.....a group of self marginilzed people who cling to a country that abused them, and abuse a country that would further them.
What if they identified themselves as americans with mexican heritage?

Old 08-20-2008, 05:06 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,753,445 times
Quote:

Nope. Chicano means American of Mexican descent.
Chicano is an American culture.

Old 08-20-2008, 05:07 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,134,028 times
Quote:
Following your line of reasoning: George Romney; the former governor of Michigan was a Mexican (he was born there while his parents resided in Chihuahua) hence Mitt Romenty (his son) would be a Chicano.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration