U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-20-2008, 07:01 PM
 
7,020 posts, read 9,895,366 times
Reputation: 1094

Advertisements

When emergency workers arrived at the scene of the crash last February 19, they found the bright yellow school bus lying shattered on its side. A few minutes earlier, the bus had been carrying 28 children home from the Lakeview School in Cottonwood, Minnesota. That's when a van barreled through a stop sign and smashed into the bus, killing four students between the ages of 9 and 13. Marty and Rita Javens lost two sons, Hunter and Jesse. Six other children were seriously injured.

The woman who police say was driving the van -- a 24-year-old illegal immigrant from Guatemala named Olga Marina Franco del Cid -- did not have a valid driver's license. Even worse, she'd been caught driving illegally before. In 2006 a resident of Montevideo, Minnesota, called police about a driver who had plowed into her yard. The driver was Franco, who managed to hide her illegal status and pleaded guilty to driving without a license. Her punishment? A $182 fine.

One in five fatal crashes per year involves a driver without a proper license.

How many unlicensed drivers are on our roads? No one knows for sure, but the New York State Department of Motor Vehicles recently estimated that there were "tens of thousands" of unlicensed drivers in that state alone. And just last year the California Highway Patrol issued more than 132,000 citations to unlicensed drivers. All this helps explain why America suffers a stomach-turning 117 driving-related deaths per day. "People act like it's their right to drive whether they're licensed or not," says Oklahoma County Sheriff John Whetsel, who oversees traffic safety for the National Sheriffs' Association. "They don't care, and they put other people at risk as a result."

Cracking Down on Illegal Drivers | Michael Crowley | Reader's Digest (http://www.rd.com/your-america-inspiring-people-and-stories/cracking-down-on-illegal-drivers/article96761.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-20-2008, 07:33 PM
 
Location: Southern Arizona
9,308 posts, read 25,657,329 times
Reputation: 10566
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
When emergency workers arrived at the scene of the crash last February 19, they found the bright yellow school bus lying shattered on its side. A few minutes earlier, the bus had been carrying 28 children home from the Lakeview School in Cottonwood, Minnesota. That's when a van barreled through a stop sign and smashed into the bus, killing four students between the ages of 9 and 13. Marty and Rita Javens lost two sons, Hunter and Jesse. Six other children were seriously injured.

The woman who police say was driving the van -- a 24-year-old illegal immigrant from Guatemala named Olga Marina Franco del Cid -- did not have a valid driver's license. Even worse, she'd been caught driving illegally before. In 2006 a resident of Montevideo, Minnesota, called police about a driver who had plowed into her yard. The driver was Franco, who managed to hide her illegal status and pleaded guilty to driving without a license. Her punishment? A $182 fine.

One in five fatal crashes per year involves a driver without a proper license.

How many unlicensed drivers are on our roads? No one knows for sure, but the New York State Department of Motor Vehicles recently estimated that there were "tens of thousands" of unlicensed drivers in that state alone. And just last year the California Highway Patrol issued more than 132,000 citations to unlicensed drivers. All this helps explain why America suffers a stomach-turning 117 driving-related deaths per day. "People act like it's their right to drive whether they're licensed or not," says Oklahoma County Sheriff John Whetsel, who oversees traffic safety for the National Sheriffs' Association. "They don't care, and they put other people at risk as a result."
Sorry, JDubsMom, this point alone is the primary reason for the problem . . . issuing a citation is a JOKE.

Once an individual is stopped for even the slightest violation (registration, vehicle equipment or driving violation) and it is determined he is unlicensed . . . IMMEDIATE SLAMMER should be required and DEPORTATION if he is in this country illegally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2008, 08:51 PM
 
7,020 posts, read 9,895,366 times
Reputation: 1094
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Sorry, JDubsMom, this point alone is the primary reason for the problem . . . issuing a citation is a JOKE.

Once an individual is stopped for even the slightest violation (registration, vehicle equipment or driving violation) and it is determined he is unlicensed . . . IMMEDIATE SLAMMER should be required and DEPORTATION if he is in this country illegally.
I couldn't agree more. That would put a stop to a lot of the insanity that we continue to read about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2008, 08:58 PM
 
8,180 posts, read 11,033,451 times
Reputation: 2873
But lets be fair on this point....anyone found driving without a license and without insurance deserves a heavy fine plus some jail time. If found to be driving repeatedly without a license and insurance, I believe a prison sentence would be in order. If they are here illegally, then they should be deported in lieu of fine and time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2008, 09:04 PM
 
4,828 posts, read 6,790,161 times
Reputation: 620
Quote:
But dangerous unlicensed driving is by no means limited to illegal immigrants. Look at Bobbie Hills, whose license was revoked in 2003 after she suffered an epileptic seizure while driving. On January 5, 2005, the 46-year-old Orlando, Florida, woman was driving home from work when she had another seizure. She lost control of her SUV and hit 14-year-old Gaston Roy Johnson, Jr. The high school student was killed instantly
Cracking Down on Illegal Drivers | Michael Crowley | Reader's Digest (http://www.rd.com/your-america-inspiring-people-and-stories/cracking-down-on-illegal-drivers/article96761.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2008, 09:12 PM
 
Location: Wilmington, NC
8,575 posts, read 6,085,916 times
Reputation: 835
it is a larger problem than just illegals. the difference is that one is a citizen, the other is not. any time we can prevent this from happening, it's a good thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
Cracking Down on Illegal Drivers | Michael Crowley | Reader's Digest (http://www.rd.com/your-america-inspiring-people-and-stories/cracking-down-on-illegal-drivers/article96761.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2008, 10:42 PM
 
Location: Southern Arizona
9,308 posts, read 25,657,329 times
Reputation: 10566
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
But lets be fair on this point....anyone found driving without a license and without insurance deserves a heavy fine plus some jail time. If found to be driving repeatedly without a license and insurance, I believe a prison sentence would be in order. If they are here illegally, then they should be deported in lieu of fine and time.
Absolutely, Camping.

My point was NO CITATION . . . any individual, legal or otherwise, blatantly driving without a license has no respect for the laws and will probably ignore the citation and continue to drive. SEIZE the vehicle and haul the sucker off to the slammer immediately. Once legal status is established plus license and proof of insurance is presented and all fines are paid, then release the vehicle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top