U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 10:45 PM

78 posts, read 82,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
..........If from Ontario Canada----------you have no say-so over what we do here in the States.
When you start paying for my internet connection you can have a say on what I can say or not say, meanwhile blow it.

Old 09-04-2008, 10:50 PM

838 posts, read 260,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrumaine View Post
When you start paying for my internet connection you can have a say on what I can say or not say, meanwhile blow it.

You're from CANADA?? Why does ANY of this concern you then?

Old 09-04-2008, 11:15 PM

1,424 posts, read 233,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by page3000 View Post
I think we should shut the door on refugees next. OR if it stays open they shouldn't be allowed to come here and use the welfare system. I only wish people could see the abuse of it firsthand.

Even though MOST of the abuse comes from our own citizens? I would like to see all of the social programs re-evaluated.

Old 09-04-2008, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
no, it isn't the poor that deprives me of it. it's the government that gives my money to the poor that deprives me of it. some live a life where they just blindly give money to everyone. I do not. not my MO. I also have been quite dormant in the last few weeks.
When will you people understand that YOU are the government. On the one hand you tell everyone how proud you are to be a US citizen and how wonderful your constitution is (as well you should), and then you do nothing but knock your government and blame all your woos on "them". "We have seen the enemy and them is us"

And you jm, as much as I like your style, really, I do. But I remember reading how you called yourself a libertarian, well here is a real libertarian

Polyface, Inc. (http://www.polyfacefarms.com/default.aspx - broken link)

Joel Salatin spends his time trying to bring sanity to a food industry that has gone insane. He calls himself a libertarian, right-wing Christian weirdo.

And what do you do, you come on here and put down everyone that doesn't look like you, be like you, talk like you, or think like you. It is easy to tell from your posts that you are capable of so much more, but you elect instead to go after the defenceless, life is so much easier that way.

You have made a point (often) how you live among st the poor, and instead of advising us how we can help these people gain some self esteem and self worth you do nothing but ridicule them. How pathetic.

Old 09-04-2008, 11:27 PM

Quote:
You're from CANADA?? Why does ANY of this concern you then?
The long answer, anything that happens in my world concerns me. The short answer, blow it!

Old 09-04-2008, 11:34 PM

Quote:
The long answer, anything that happens in my world concerns me. The short answer, blow it!
Did you say Blow the whistle?

Old 09-04-2008, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Californio View Post
Did you say Blow the whistle?
Nope, said "blow it" but I love the pic. I'm new here what syntax did you use to insert the pic.

Old 09-04-2008, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Nope, said "blow it" but I love the pic. I'm new here what syntax did you use to insert the pic.
There's a button with the image of some mountains and what appears to be a gray sun. Right next to the 'quote' image.

Also, I have nothing but respect for Canadians. The few Canadians I've met were in Mexico (lived there and lived in the U.S as well. as well as Canada). They are the nicest people there. Not much to say from the other Americans.. so rude.. The Canadians however approached me and my brother while we were conversing in English. They even invited us to their home!

Old 09-05-2008, 04:40 AM

2,905 posts, read 4,573,986 times
Quote:
Not sure what that was supposed to prove. Again, go to Maine.
They are ONLY good if they are LEGAL, NOT RAISING THE CRIME RATE and not USING OUR WELFARE SYSTEM WHATSOEVER. That's not always the case though is it?
OK, I've been reading these ridiculous posts long enough to finally quote one.

"Not using our welfare system?"

Are you joking? do you know where these people are coming from. do you know what a refugee is? I see, basically, no way for a somalian to come here and NOT use our welfare system, at least for some time. FYI, WE BRING THEM HERE! News flash! They don't hop on a plane with a tourist visa! They are not coming her like a regular immigrant, required to prove they can support themselves or have the support of a relative her. They don't come with fat bank accounts!

I will objectively tell you of my experience with a Somalian refugee family as there were a number of them in Worcester Ma. when I lived there.

Yes, they arrive on welfare. They are given housing immediately. (Don't have to wait for the welfare housing like the poor Americans who want to get it, and end up waiting 6 years to pay $35 a month). I knew a woman, her husband, and her daughter. The husband was not the father of her daughter, her daughter's father was murdered. The daughter was about 11.

Start with the mother. She hardly spoke English. She was required to go to English classes every day. She had to walk 2 miles to English classes each way, even in the winter. (This is one reason I was involved with the family, they lived next door to my son's preschool, and her school was near where I worked a few times a week, so I used to give her a ride). She did not have a job. She was desperately looking for a job. She told me several times she wanted work, and did my husband know anywhere at the hospital she could work (he worked at the hosp.). I told her that I was sorry, English is kind of a necessary skill, she should continue to go to classes.

The daughter. A sweeter girl I have never met. She was 11 and had no schooling because since she was 3 and her father was killed, she lived in a refugee camp. Imagine your 11 year old child living in a refugee camp with no schooling! A sweeter, harder working girl I have never met. When I first saw her, she was walking down the street wearing a red slip as a skirt. She was doing her best in school but of course there were problems. I attended a meeting with school administrators, there was a Somali man who spoke good English who translated. This seemed to be the first time the school administration heard the fact that the girl had had no schooling. I asked them what their plan for the girl was, just push her through school with minimal skills and doom her to a life of work at McDonald's? This flat out questioning of what the plan was (there didn't seem to be any plan) seemed to put them on edge a bit and make them think. They decided that they would keep her in 5th grade at least for another year or two to give her a chance to catch up.

The step father--seemed a bit of a loser. Called out sick to work. The mother said he ate all the food in the house and left them with nothing. She ended up getting a divorce from the man.

After that, she moved to Ohio, where her sister and mother were.

Btw, she was sent to Worcester. These people are not given a map and asked where they would like to go, and they don't sit in their little tent (or whatever) in the refugee camp and say, "wait a minute, let me check the net to see where the best welfare benefits are", hmmmmmmmmm, I'd like to go to Lewiston, ME! This woman had relatives in Columbus and in Atlanta. They don't even attempt to send families to the same area to have a support system other than the welfare system. (Imagine if they sent a whole extended family to one place, HELLO, can I say babysitter, one could babysit while the rest worked.) How do we think these somalians can work a minimum wage job with no support?

I am not going to say only wonderful things about Somalians. I did get the sense that this lady felt a sense of entitlement to the services that she was getting, which annoyed me a bit. But I can only say that our gov't, private charities, etc... must have nurtured that, or maybe that started in the refugee camp (I don't know what type of aid they receive there, but I don't think they work to get it). She also ended up asking me for rides like I was her personal taxi driver. I had to help her several times with notices from the building that she lived in because they didn't pay the rent (when word got around that the husband got a job, the rent went up substantially, he wouldn't give her the money or pay the rent himself, therefore the rent didn't get paid. Eventually, (before the divorce) he quit the job. Had she got the job she wanted, if it was under the table I am sure she wouldn't have reported the income to pay more rent, although if she got it legit. then I am sure she would have come to the realization that she needed to pay and work (not like the husband).

The point is, we bring these people here fully knowing they will need full support for the time being. (I am sure someone knows the average time they are expected to be on welfare). The gov't knows this, and this must factor into how many are allowed to come. Many charity groups are involved as well, fyi. the English classes were held at the lutheran family services.

I also know of an apt that was rented (and paid for) by the Jewish Family services for an Iraqi woman, whose husband had been killed, and her daughter, who quickly left the area to move somewhere near family. Now the apartment is being used by Somalians as well. This apt. is in Springfield Ma. The Jewish family services pay the rent, although I am sure the family is on welfare/food stamps/mass health.

Sorry for the lengthly post but it seems people are commenting here right and left who have had no contact with these people, and have this misguided perception that these people are coming here solely to live off welfare. Trust me, there will not be cases of generations of Somalians on welfare.

Old 09-05-2008, 06:14 AM

3,859 posts, read 6,951,682 times
Quote:
I think we should shut the door on refugees next. OR if it stays open they shouldn't be allowed to come here and use the welfare system. I only wish people could see the abuse of it firsthand.
We need a time out on everything. The front page of my paper this morning-Bush signed approval for another 60,000 refugees to come here. I am sorry but we are in hard economic times in this country but we are going to bring another 60,000 here? That is in addition to legal immigrants, visa holders and the 20+ million illegals. When does our government say enough is enough? We have kids living in poverty in OUR country, we have crime stricken cities in OUR country. We have people losing jobs to outsourcng, illegal aliens, economic downturn in OUR country. The city I used to live in takes in a lot of refugees. They keep sending more and more to the city-even though the city says they cannot afford anymore. Last year AFTER the city had finished their budget-and had to cut services for Americans- the institute surprised them with an additional 100 refugees. The city had to cut snow removal last year-in northern New England! Now they want to send more refugees. What about the working men and women who need roads cleared to go to work? What about taxes that will be raised to hire another ESL teacher The social services and welfare? All the billions of dollars or more of foreign aid in this world and we still are going to take 60,000 more refugees? Why do we send foreign aid and take in refugees? Shouldn't it be one or the other? I think our country has been very generous in taking in refugees. However I think with 4.00/gallon gas and oil prices-we need to worry about the Americans who are not going to be able to afford their heating bills this winter than bringing 60,000 more people here. There are middle class people that might not be able to afford their heating bills if they have oil and it is a cold winter up here-it is not just the very poor.

Nicolem
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration