U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 09:00 PM

8,575 posts, read 6,084,465 times

Advertisements

this is much worse than illegal immigrants. these somalin "refugees" were given the opportunity to come here, and when they do, they just look for handouts. what's up with that? they bring them to places like atlanta, because the weather is nice, and there are plenty of jobs. then what happens? they go to places like minnesota and rural maine to abuse the welfare systems. why in the hell would somalian refugees go to freezing cold lily white maine other than welfare benefits? this is what happens when you have super liberal welfare systems. here's a link from the maine state website. lewiston maine has 35,000 residents and 1,000 somalin refugees, yet 50% of the welfare budget goes to the somalians. I think we should shut the door to refugees next.

Maine In Africa, Africa In Maine: Somali Influx

Old 08-20-2008, 09:14 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,690,207 times
Some immigrants are good for our society but only those who can work for a living, be self-reliant and contribute something. We don't need to import poverty or sloth or welfare cases.

Old 08-20-2008, 09:16 PM

I think these people are sickening. they came here, and went straight to welfare. what is a somalian going to have in common with someone in maine. at least atlanta is diverse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Some immigrants are good for our society but only those who can work for a living, be self-reliant and contribute something. We don't need to import poverty or sloth or welfare cases.

Old 08-21-2008, 01:25 AM

3,172 posts, read 5,993,791 times
Somalians are good people, and all the ones I have known are hardworking people.

They are very mild mannered(for the most part) and I wouldn't mind having more in the neighborhood.
And I'm pretty sure there are more Somalians in Minnesota than in Atlanta.

Old 08-21-2008, 04:14 AM

1,448 posts, read 2,657,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
Somalians are good people, and all the ones I have known are hardworking people.

They are very mild mannered(for the most part) and I wouldn't mind having more in the neighborhood.
Quote:
Many Somali values are comparable to American values. For example, Somalis value independence, democracy, egalitarianism and individualism. Somalis also value their friendships and generosity for others. Somalis are brought up to respect their parents and to seek advice and blessings (du'o) from them. The lack of respect and esteem brings forth habaar (curse). Regardless of one's age, the son or daughter must ask for blessings and even advice on how to deal with certain matters. Grandparents are the center of the extended family. They often have the role of a mediator, arbitrating disputes between siblings. It is an obligation for a grown son or daughter to contribute to a family member who may not be doing well. In Somali families, parents in their senior years continue to have a large role in family management
AMC I agree Somali immigrants are very good people and extremely mild mannered from my observation.

Immigration in MN Africa

Old 08-21-2008, 05:24 AM

3,640 posts, read 4,308,379 times
Quote:

Most are for sure. But I notice that to you, every last immigrant, illegal and legal, is a good person, so that proves nothing at all.

Old 08-21-2008, 08:52 AM

8,180 posts, read 11,032,296 times
That hasn't been my perception of the African immigrants around here....they tend to be employed and fluent very quickly.

Old 08-21-2008, 09:08 AM

like I said, they go to the states where they can most abuse the welfare system. not sure what about this is so difficult for you to understand. this isn't from a tabloid paper, it's the maine government website.

Quote:

Old 08-21-2008, 09:11 AM

15,179 posts, read 15,807,269 times
I don’t have a problem with true “refugees” receiving temporary assistance until they can become employed. However, it must be temporary. Africans tend to be quite ambitious and resourceful. Therefore, I can’t imagine them remaining on welfare for long. We accepted thousands of Vietnamese refugees, and to my knowledge, they have assimilated quite well, and have not been a burden on U.S. taxpayers. I don’t care where they originate from, as long as they are here legally, and will not be a long-term burden.

Old 08-21-2008, 09:12 AM

this isn't about african immigrants. it's about somalians, and only somalians. most african immigrants are hard working, but the somalians seem to be very obnoxious. there were stories about the somalians not wanting to pick up someone with an unopened bottle of wine in their cabs at the airport. finally, they airport told them, get to the back of the line you religious nut, you lost your chance. let's get someone to the front that actually wants to do their job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
That hasn't been my perception of the African immigrants around here....they tend to be employed and fluent very quickly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration