Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 06:16 AM

7,025 posts, read 11,405,301 times

Advertisements

La Opinión, News Digest, Gardenia Mendoza Aguilar and Eileen Truax, Translated by Suzanne Manneh, Posted: Aug 18, 2008

Editor's Note: A Mexican government official called on Mexican workers in the United States to send more money home, but Mexican migrants did not respond favorably. Gardenia Mendoza Aguilar reports from Mexico City and Eileen Truax from Los Angeles for La Opinión.

Drop in Remittances Felt by Mexican Families

"Mexico is addicted to and very dependent on remittances," asserted Rodolfo Garcia Zamora, developmental studies researcher at the Autonomous University of Zacatecas (UAZ).

According to the Bank of Mexico, 12.6 percent of the families residing in Mexico's municipalities receive money from the United States. Remittances are the second largest source of income for Mexico, behind oil exports.

In 2007, remittances flowing into Mexico reached a high of $23.98 billion, but the Bank of Mexico estimates that they declined by 2.2 percent in the first half of this year.

Additionally, an estimated 100,000 Mexicans have returned to their home communities so far this year as a result of their perilous economic and social situation in the United States, which may begin with the loss of a job, and end in detainment and deportation.

The Mexican Government Intervenes

The drop in remittances to Mexico has prompted Mexican Secretary of the Interior Juan Camilo Mourino to urge Mexican nationals in the United States to keep sending money and invest in their home country.

"These are our people, our countrymen and their commitment to Mexico is vital to this country," he said. He also added that he plans to expand a social welfare program that seeks to develop Mexico's poorest communities and support Mexican migrants in the United States. "We must find ways to overcome this crisis," said Mourinio who explained that the large number of returnees plus the young people ready to enter the workforce are additional challenges for Mexico's economy.

Yet he said that the Mexican government has taken steps to prepare for the crisis, including tax incentives in marginalized communities, increased public spending and temporary employment programs for returning migrants.

Drop in Remittances Sparks Debate Between Mexico and Its Migrants - NAM

Wow . . . just wow. What a poor excuse for a country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2008, 06:57 AM

1,474 posts, read 2,299,286 times
Well, in a way I cant blame the people for wanting to flea such a sorry excuse of a government, but they are reaping the whirlwind of what they sowed.

Such a sorry excuse...............indeed

Old 08-21-2008, 07:00 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,120,382 times
And the fact that Mexico is griping about the above means that the illegal immigrant expulsion programs are starting to bite down-------and, hard.

Old 08-21-2008, 07:18 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Dear God. Did you all read that article closely? Money sent back home is the second largest source of revenue in Mexico . . . How the hell can that be? This is CRAZY. Our economy is being eroded by our dollars being exchanged in Mexico- to the tune of $24 BILLION!!! This is absolutely NUTS.

I don't know about ya'll - but here in my home state of NC - our unemployment rate is going UP, monthly. We have people posting on our Charlotte forum that they are out of work and would take a job at WalMart, McDonald's, whatever but they can't find one. Why? Well, I don't know how it is in YOUR city, but here, over half the time when I go to a drive up window, someone that can only half speak English is taking my money.

I am soooooo fed up with this BS "excuse" that illegals (and their bleeding heart advocates) use - that they are doing jobs "no American wants." That is just HOOEY.

Old 08-21-2008, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Dear God. Did you all read that article closely? Money sent back home is the second largest source of revenue in Mexico . . . How the hell can that be? This is CRAZY. Our economy is being eroded by our dollars being exchanged in Mexico- to the tune of $24 BILLION!!! This is absolutely NUTS.

I don't know about ya'll - but here in my home state of NC - our unemployment rate is going UP, monthly. We have people posting on our Charlotte forum that they are out of work and would take a job at WalMart, McDonald's, whatever but they can't find one. Why? Well, I don't know how it is in YOUR city, but here, over half the time when I go to a drive up window, someone that can only half speak English is taking my money.

I am soooooo fed up with this BS "excuse" that illegals (and their bleeding heart advocates) use - that they are doing jobs "no American wants." That is just HOOEY.
Amazing isn't it? Adding insult to injury in addition to the money they are usurping from our economy and sending back to prop up Mexico, state by state they are bankrupting America in the form of their drain on our welfare, healthcare, education, jails, police protection, border patrol, and other infrastructures vital to our very survival.

You have to wonder why in the world anyone would not want them gone yesterday.

Quote:
On the one hand, they are asking for our support; on the other hand, they aren’t giving us the tools to invest," he said. Jimenez explained that if a migrant wants to invest in Mexico, the first thing required is a valid voter identification card and taxpayer registration, but these documents are not issued by Mexico’s Consulate General.

"We want the United States to recognize our matricula consulares as our official IDs, but they don’t in Mexico,” he said. “There is no consistency. They want migrants to invest in Mexico, but we can’t get a legal ID."
Despite breaking every American law that they can, when it comes to their demands in the US everything is about what they "want"? Yet these sniveling cowards are too afraid to demand that their government takes care of them and gives them what they need.

Old 08-21-2008, 08:19 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,555,982 times
Quote:

It's all part of the 'agreement' between the U.S. and Mexico. Similar to that made between this country and the African tribal leaders during slavery. Mexico supplies the 'slave' labor for the U.S. corporate masters, and Mexico reaps the benefit in remittances. It's a win-win for everyone but the hard-working U.S. taxpayers. This is precisely why our borders have not been secured.

Old 08-21-2008, 08:21 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
It's all part of the 'agreement' between the U.S. and Mexico. Similar to that made between this country and the African tribal leaders during slavery. Mexico supplies the 'slave' labor for the U.S. corporate masters, and Mexico reaps the benefit in remittances. It's a win-win for everyone but the hard-working U.S. taxpayers. This is precisely why our borders have not been secured.
Then shut down the miscreant employers who hire illegals. That is what we have tried to do here in NC and SC. Just shut them down.

Old 08-21-2008, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Then shut down the miscreant employers who hire illegals. That is what we have tried to do here in NC and SC. Just shut them down.

The revelation of Obama's poll numbers dropping at record speed, has resulted in him changing his tune from "a pathway to citizenship" to fining and jailing employers and cutting off the magnet.

Too little, too late he's already thrown America under the bus, backed up and retreaded over our bodies to make sure we would die.

Old 08-21-2008, 08:27 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Very short sighted policy obviously. Remittances require an ever increasing load of cheap workers to the USA because it's very very common for the remittance sender to stop sending money back.

Several reasons they quit the remittances -- they find a new woman and start a new family in the USA and forget about the one back home. They have the children smuggled in so they can have free medical care and school lunches for them, use them to get food stamps and other government handouts so no longer need to send remittances. They find a way to be legalized and now need the money to support a high cost of living in the USA, not wanting to sleep with 14 other men in some slum apartment or run down mobile home.

The children of the remittance parents might help bring in the cash, but they grow up without parents and that's a very bad situation. Children obviously need parents home raising them.

Old 08-21-2008, 08:29 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,120,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
The revelation of Obama's poll numbers dropping at record speed, has resulted in him changing his tune from "a pathway to citizenship" to fining and jailing employers and cutting off the magnet.

Too little, too late he's already thrown America under the bus, backed up and retreaded over our bodies to make sure we would die.
Makes sense to me: supporting illegal immigrants over American Blacks would be political suicide for Obama.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration