Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 08:39 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,560,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
No.
But when they start meeting up, and become armed, and start bullying people who disagree with them, then yeah theyll be a vigilante group.

YouTube - Minutemen leader ticketed for unlawful behavior
Perhaps I blinked and missed the gun battle and brutality. A group of men holding signs and exercising their 1st Amendment rights, can hardly be considered menacing vigilantes. He received a ticket, he wasn’t handcuffed and arrested. I have seen far worse from illegal aliens and their apologists. As a matter of fact, had they been pro-illegals, I'd bet the farm they wouldn't have even received a ticket.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2008, 08:48 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,753,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Perhaps I blinked and missed the gun battle and brutality. A group of men holding signs and exercising their 1st Amendment rights, can hardly be considered menacing vigilantes. He received a ticket, he wasn’t handcuffed and arrested. I have seen far worse from illegal aliens and their apologists. As a matter of fact, had they been pro-illegals, I'd bet the farm they wouldn't have even received a ticket.
They don't just hold signs, Benicar. They "patrol".

In other words, they dress up in G.I. Joe costumes, grab binoculars, throw a couple lawn chairs and their guns(if they are permitted of course) into the pickup and patrol the border.
Border Patrol are TRAINED to patrol and watch the border.
Minuteman area bunch of bored angry weekend warriors who are not just being a threat to illegals, but to themselves.

Old 08-24-2008, 08:52 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,560,802 times
Quote:
I realize they patrol. I was responding to the video you posted. In the video, they were simply exercising their 1st Amendment rights. Nothing more, nothing less.

Old 08-24-2008, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
I realize they patrol. I was responding to the video you posted. In the video, they were simply exercising their 1st Amendment rights. Nothing more, nothing less.
Those protesting in the video were "pro-illegals".
The guy in the vehicle with the flashing light on top(to the minutemobile!) was a Minuteman chapter leader or something trying to intimidate a woman carrying a sign with his vehicle.

YouTube - Minutemen leader intimidates with car

Old 08-24-2008, 09:11 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,428,052 times
You see a video on U tube and post it, without knowing the first damn thing about whats going on. Sure the police harrassed us all of the time, most of the time without reason.
If you have read anything about these then you should know where they're locatated.
Other then that it's all assumption.

Your not even worth arguing with.

Old 08-24-2008, 09:14 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,555,667 times
Quote:

In other words, they dress up in G.I. Joe costumes, grab binoculars, throw a couple lawn chairs and their guns(if they are permitted of course) into the pickup and patrol the border.
Border Patrol are TRAINED to patrol and watch the border.
Minuteman area bunch of bored angry weekend warriors who are not just being a threat to illegals, but to themselves.
I just HAVE to step in here...for the 'umpteenth time' on this subject. Dressing up in costumes, sitting on lawn chairs, having a permitted weapon, and patrolling ANYTHING, is not illegal...nor is it "threatening". There are PLENTY of bored and angry people. In fact, I'd say there are plenty of angry illegals. But being angry isn't against the law, either.

The Border Patrol is indeed 'trained' to patrol the border. However, they are obviously unable, or unwilling, to come anywhere REMOTELY close to doing so effectively...(quite possibly, they've been ORDERED not to patrol it too closely)....at any rate, though, 12 to 15 million folks who've been able to 'slip through' the border is NOT a sign that it's being patrolled in any sort of an effective manner. Would you, or anyone you know, pay a private security contractor, if your home or your place of business was broken into twice a week? Of course not. You'd probably get angry and do something on your own to protect YOUR property, if those you hired would not. Would this make you a 'threatening' person? Would it make you look 'silly'?

The Minutemen exist at ALL, only because the border is NOT being patrolled in anything like an acceptable manner....and everyone knows this. The Minutemen may look 'silly', and you may call them 'pesty'...but they are doing a job that the 'real' authorities can't do. I see absolutely NO difference whatsoever in the Minutemen, and in a Neighborhood Watch group, which forms due to chronic neighborhood crime or vandalism. Sitting by and smirking at these 'do-gooders' may give you great satisfaction...but that's about ALL you can do, "smirk'...because the obvious failure of the government to do its job is what we SHOULD be 'smirking' at, not those trying to make the best of a truly disgraceful system.

Old 08-24-2008, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
I just HAVE to step in here...for the 'umpteenth time' on this subject. Dressing up in costumes, sitting on lawn chairs, having a permitted weapon, and patrolling ANYTHING, is not illegal...nor is it "threatening". There are PLENTY of bored and angry people. In fact, I'd say there are plenty of angry illegals. But being angry isn't against the law, either.

The Border Patrol is indeed 'trained' to patrol the border. However, they are obviously unable, or unwilling, to come anywhere REMOTELY close to doing so effectively...(quite possibly, they've been ORDERED not to patrol it too closely)....at any rate, though, 12 to 15 million folks who've been able to 'slip through' the border is NOT a sign that it's being patrolled in any sort of an effective manner. Would you, or anyone you know, pay a private security contractor, if your home or your place of business was broken into twice a week? Of course not. You'd probably get angry and do something on your own to protect YOUR property, if those you hired would not. Would this make you a 'threatening' person? Would it make you look 'silly'?

The Minutemen exist at ALL, only because the border is NOT being patrolled in anything like an acceptable manner....and everyone knows this. The Minutemen may look 'silly', and you may call them 'pesty'...but they are doing a job that the 'real' authorities can't do. I see absolutely NO difference whatsoever in the Minutemen, and in a Neighborhood Watch group, which forms due to chronic neighborhood crime or vandalism. Sitting by and smirking at these 'do-gooders' may give you great satisfaction...but that's about ALL you can do, "smirk'...because the obvious failure of the government to do its job is what we SHOULD be 'smirking' at, not those trying to make the best of a truly disgraceful system.
The discussion wasn't on whether or not what they did is legal. The discussion is on whether or not they could be considered a vigilante group. In my opinion, they are.

And how effective are they in keeping people from crossing compared to the Border Patrol? From what I hear, not very.

The Border Patrol are trained to patrol the border while being as safe as possible.
How many attacks on the Border Patrol have you read about?
Are Minuteman prepared to deal with that?

Oh, they have guns.
What if someone gets scared and shoots at the wrong person when there is no attack? Theyre not trained to handle those kinds of situations.

The Minutemen are ineffective, and serve no purpose other than to prove how much of a real American citizen its members are. Even its racist associating, money embezzling founder Gilchrist has said the Minuteman Project was originally a dog and pony show to draw attention to the issue itself. Maybe they should stick to their street corners in Orange County?

Old 08-24-2008, 09:27 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,428,052 times
Now I've been to several occurrences like this. with pi$$ off employers who we stopped from hiring illegals.

YouTube - Home Depot 5-O The Car Chaser Minuteman

Old 08-24-2008, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
Now I've been to several occurrences like this. with pi$$ off employers who we stopped from hiring illegals.

YouTube - Home Depot 5-O The Car Chaser Minuteman
LOL, I love this video.
Watch 3:00, hilarious how they play the Westside Connection song.
That boy was scared straight.

Too bad the guy ended up being more like Uncle Phil than Suge Knight.

Old 08-24-2008, 09:40 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,555,667 times
Quote:
The discussion wasn't on whether or not what they did is legal. The discussion is on whether or not they could be considered a vigilante group. In my opinion, they are.

And how effective are they in keeping people from crossing compared to the Border Patrol? From what I hear, not very.

The Border Patrol are trained to patrol the border while being as safe as possible.
How many attacks on the Border Patrol have you read about?
Are Minuteman prepared to deal with that?

Oh, they have guns.
What if someone gets scared and shoots at the wrong person when there is no attack? Theyre not trained to handle those kinds of situations.

The Minutemen are ineffective, and serve no purpose other than to prove how much of a real American citizen its members are. Even its racist associating, money embezzling founder Gilchrist has said the Minuteman Project was originally a dog and pony show to draw attention to the issue itself. Maybe they should stick to their street corners in Orange County?
You've made your points, but I'm not sure how effective they are. "Vigilantes" are certainly a 'dirty word' these days...but that's assuming the proper authorities 'do their job'..when they don't (as in the California gold rush days, when there WERE no proper authorities) 'vigilantes' are harder to condemn. Aren't Neighborhood Watch members really 'vigilantes', in a sense?

The Border Patrol SHOULD be keeping out 'trespassers'...obviously, they're not. So some 'amateurs' show up. They don't hurt anyone, they don't even TOUCH anyone...so what? They "annoy" people? OK, they're annoying.

But when "the Professionals" can't do the job they're assigned, I don't see how we can make TOO much of an argument when the 'second string' shows up. Want to get rid of the Minutemen? So do I...I hope someday there's no rational reason for them to 'show up' at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration